Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 05:15 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Who is saying Little Village isn't homogenous? Or Englewood? They sure are, and prob their residents don't venture out much either. However, LP and LV when compared to West Town, Logan Square and Avondale, they prove not to be diverse at all.

If people live in a bubble that's fine, but at least stop acting like it doesn't happen in LV or LP or make them out to be diverse places, because they are not.
I don't think anybody is trying to say LP or LV are diverse racially, they obviously are not. I don't live in either hood, but if I lived there I would have no desire to visit Avondale, I've been there and I don't find it to offer me all that much.
I think LP and LV are more segregated financially than racially, let's be honest if one makes a lot of money why would they want to live in a relatively run down neighborhood with poor people (I'm only half joking). I travel all around Chicago to try new food and all, but other than the novelty of the ethnic enclave I don't see the appeal with many neighborhoods (this goes beyond Chicago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 05:23 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
It's a certain type of young people, too. It's the crowd I tried to avoid in college, for the most part, and I have even less of a desire to be around them now than I did then. Plus the areas are expensive, not diverse, not culturally interesting (IMO), full of chain stores/restaurants, etc. It's like the suburbs, but denser. I wouldn't want to live there, nor would most of the types of people I hang out with (and we're all "young professionals" who could afford to do so if we wanted). Apparently many do, though, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I like that is like it not that culturally interesting almost like a dense suburb, but lively unlike a regular suburb. It has stores that I am familiar with and just has enough different non chain restaurants to keep it interesting. I like being around things that I know. I am trying to leave Edgewater now because it too diverse for me and not enough things that I am familar with.

However, I do have to agree with you with nighttime crowd. It annoys the mess out of me. I was never into lets get trash environment driniking the bar even in college. I went places to go dancing or it it was a bar it was a mature bar/decor with dancing which seems almost impossible to find around here.
It is either people standing around and drinking/staring at each other or people shouting and acting dumb.
Sorry for the rant back to topic.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I don't think anybody is trying to say LP or LV are diverse racially, they obviously are not. I don't live in either hood, but if I lived there I would have no desire to visit Avondale, I've been there and I don't find it to offer me all that much.
I think LP and LV are more segregated financially than racially, let's be honest if one makes a lot of money why would they want to live in a relatively run down neighborhood with poor people (I'm only half joking). I travel all around Chicago to try new food and all, but other than the novelty of the ethnic enclave I don't see the appeal with many neighborhoods (this goes beyond Chicago)
There is a difference of not having a reason to go to Avondale vs. being opposed to it. I guess one has to be raised or live in these "boring" neighborhoods to understand. The dynamic is different. If you are expecting them to be similar to LV and LP well of course you will be disappointed. The dynamic is more diverse and community oriented in the "boring" neighborhoods. Not all the neighborhoods/areas in NYC are like Manhattan, but that doesn't make them boring or not worth exploring. It's the arrogance of writing off neighborhoods as "boring" because they are not like LV or LP that irks me. It irks me that transplants can come in and make statements like these to people who have lived in Chicago communities that are far from being boring and have contributed to Chicagos diverse culture.

I'm confused as to why you brought up poor people. As far as I can tell know noone has brought up poor people at all. Is that what you think of Avondale?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times
Quote:
You talk to people. I have met several people that live in both and have never been to many neighborhoods outside their bubble.

If you were raised in Chicago maybe you would understand that the people that live in Lakeview or and Lincoln park are "different" compared to the rest of the city by most Chicagoans.
Exactly we are from the Midwest and not true urban people. We do have the hard city edge or extra rudeness that comes with living in hard urban city. I like these type of people and this is what I am use to, and I am sure that is what a lot of people from Lakeview/Lincoln Park are use to. Some of the urban edge rubs off but overall that is not who we are, and that is why it attracts a certain type.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Except for Hot Doug's and Kuma's ;-)

Old 06-10-2012, 05:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times
Quote:
There is a difference of not having a reason to go to Avondale vs. being opposed to it. I guess one has to be raised or live in these "boring" neighborhoods to understand. The dynamic is different. If you are expecting them to be similar to LV and LP well of course you will be disappointed. The dynamic is more diverse and community oriented in the "boring" neighborhoods. Not all the neighborhoods/areas in NYC are like Manhattan, but that doesn't make them boring or not worth exploring. It's the arrogance of writing off neighborhoods as "boring" because they are not like LV or LP that irks me. It irks me that transplants can come in and make statements like these to people who have lived in Chicago communities that are far from being boring and have contributed to Chicagos diverse culture.

I'm confused as to why you brought up poor people. As far as I can tell know noone has brought up poor people at all. Is that what you think of Avondale?
The thing is, at least for me, when I say an area is "boring" I don't mean it as some kind of final judgment on the place and all who live there. I just mean I have no particular interest in it. I'm actually glad when such perceptions are proven wrong.

Anyway, are you seriously upset that someone called Avondale "poor"? Poor is a relative term, and Avondale certainly qualifies in comparison to how some people live. It's nothing to take personally or freak out over.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Except for Hot Doug's and Kuma's ;-)
Exactly. There are also great places like Square, Orbit Room and Masa Azul, but most people wouldn'tnt know since Avondale is just a boring neighborhood with nothing to offer.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
The thing is, at least for me, when I say an area is "boring" I don't mean it as some kind of final judgment on the place and all who live there. I just mean I have no particular interest in it. I'm actually glad when such perceptions are proven wrong.

Anyway, are you seriously upset that someone called Avondale "poor"? Poor is a relative term, and Avondale certainly qualifies in comparison to how some people live. It's nothing to take personally or freak out over.
Maybe you shouldnt call a place boring then. Say it hold slittle interest to you, but when you call a place boring you better have explored it enough to understand the neighborhood dynamics to make that statement. Avondale is far from boring, it's just different from LP and LV.

I'm not freaking out about it, but Avondale isn't poor, it's middle class with some poorer pockets to the west and some wealthier areas to the east. I'm just making sure the poster was clear on that.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
To me, Avondale is middle class, not upper and not lower class. There are some good places there, but I find a lot of places outside of HD's and Kuma's is undiscovered almost. The neighborhood is just a regular neighborhood IMO though. I bet in 5-10 years more people will be going there on a daily basis who don't live nearby.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Exactly we are from the Midwest and not true urban people. We do have the hard city edge or extra rudeness that comes with living in hard urban city. I like these type of people and this is what I am use to, and I am sure that is what a lot of people from Lakeview/Lincoln Park are use to. Some of the urban edge rubs off but overall that is not who we are, and that is why it attracts a certain type.
Bingo. So then you back living to your bubble where everyone is a wholesome Midwest big ten white alum in Lakeview and LP. If thats how it is that's how it is, to each their own. However this is the mentality of many residents in LP and LV which is what bothers others. It's this bubble of that they live in, where outside of a few designated areas of Chicago, the rest of the city is a no mans land. Same happens in other neighborhoods.

I keep arguing because no one can say that yes, LP and LV residents, not all, but many live in a bubble. If you say that I will be more than happy to shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago