Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think Pilsen if anything has become overrated with much of the contemporary discussion overlooking how much of the neighborhood is still a graffiti-riddled eyesore.
Meh. I see plenty of graffiti in Lakeview, Wicker Park, and everywhere else. Pilsen's murals greatly outweigh the graffiti for me as far as aesthetics go.

I'd still call Pilsen the most underrated neighborhood. In 2004 I'd have probably said Logan Square, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Well what I mean is, the neighborhood was almost "undiscovered" by the gentrifying crowd in 2004. I had never even heard of the neighborhood before then too. But when I drove thru there the first time, I was like "wow - this place has great potential because of the walkability and amazing older architecture that is here".

Did it look rough and gritty? Yes, of course...in a Wicker park circa 1990 kind of way. And, I think that the neighborhood is, nine years later, making progress and is a really interesting place to hang out.
Pilsen has been gentrifying since the 70s, but the developers that often can accelerate that process via new large multi-unit buildings have been stymied in many of their efforts.

Lots and lots of literature on this, the fact Pilsen didn't flip the way many expected has been an ongoing source of mystery and delight for researchers, urban planners, community activists, etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think Pilsen if anything has become overrated with much of the contemporary discussion overlooking how much of the neighborhood is still a graffiti-riddled eyesore.
I don't care about the graffiti but yeah, very overrated.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Pilsen has been gentrifying since the 70s, but the developers that often can accelerate that process via new large multi-unit buildings have been stymied in many of their efforts.
This is a very good thing, IMO. The old Bohemian architecture is a big part of what makes Pilsen great. There are so many cool interesting buildings, mostly built in the decade or two after the great fire. Chicago doesn't need yet another neighborhood full of generic-ass condo buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Lots and lots of literature on this, the fact Pilsen didn't flip the way many expected has been an ongoing source of mystery and delight for researchers, urban planners, community activists, etc.
It was certainly well on its way before the 2008 crash. I think the neighborhood got lucky that the crash happened when it did to slow down the new construction. There are a handful of generic new buildings scattered about the neighborhood that were built in the few years leading up to 2008, resulting in scenes like this:

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/sites/....gentrific.jpg

Now that it has historic district status, I hope that will preserve architecture, multi-use buildings, and mixture of residential, commercial, and light industry that make the neighborhood walkable and appealing in the first place.

The gentrification process has definitely picked back up (several new higher-end stores and restaurants within a block or two of me in the last 6 months alone), but is happening at a more manageable pace now. I at least feel like it will be awhile before it becomes the kind of place where I no longer want to live, and I don't think that would be the case had it continued at its pre-2008 pace.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 04-25-2013 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
We're on the same page. Some rejuvenation and new blood are a must, but there's that, and then there's the "Let's pour gas on this roaring fire!" approach the big developers often have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago