Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
If by "a sauna" you mean, "south of Chicago, where most of the U.S. is located," you are correct.

Fair enough. I used mine, too. I'm just saying that it felt pretty pleasant outside, and at 82 your AC is only cooling the place by a few degrees, anyway, unless you like sleeping in an ice box. The poster I was originally responding to made it sound like it was 102 degrees the night before the way he was describing the fan in his face and wet towel on his head, and his AC in the other room not being enough, so that's what I was responding to. S/he must have been running a fever.
Maybe, but people have very different tolerances for heat and cold. Many married couples joke about this because quite a few couples have had thermostat issues due to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
If by "a sauna" you mean, "south of Chicago, where most of the U.S. is located," you are correct.

Fair enough. I used mine, too. I'm just saying that it felt pretty pleasant outside, and at 82 your AC is only cooling the place by a few degrees, anyway, unless you like sleeping in an ice box. The poster I was originally responding to made it sound like it was 102 degrees the night before the way he was describing the fan in his face and wet towel on his head, and his AC in the other room not being enough, so that's what I was responding to. S/he must have been running a fever.
I set the AC in the 60s, hardly an ice box, unless my "sauna" reference was true....and , apparently, it was...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I set the AC in the 60s, hardly an ice box
Holy cow. That's an ice box by any definition. Usually when people argue over how to set the AC it's arguing over, say, 74 vs. 77. Nobody I've ever known sets their AC in the 60's. I'd hate to see your electric bill, though I suppose you save on heat if you also keep it that cool in the winter.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Holy cow. That's an ice box by any definition. Usually when people argue over how to set the AC it's arguing over, say, 74 vs. 77. Nobody I've ever known sets their AC in the 60's. I'd hate to see your electric bill, though I suppose you save on heat if you also keep it that cool in the winter.
I think that is very high for AC. Everyone I know is between 68 and 72 degrees.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That's more along the lines of how people I know set their furnace in the winter. If you set it at 68-72 in the summer, what do you set it at in the winter? 60? (brr.) Or do you just keep the temperature the same all year and pay out the nose for utilities?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Not even close to an ice box, esp when considering that the room had been exposed to 95-degree temps for many hours, with no cooling whatsoever. Another consideration would be the fact that I don't run the AC during weekdays when I'm at work, or on days when it get down into the 60s at night, so my electric bill is absolutely nothing to get excited about, under any circumstances.

By all means--enjoy your sauna. Just don't complain about Chicago winter temps, or New England winter temps, as they are perfectly fine just as they are, with no extraordinary means necessary..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Maybe, but people have very different tolerances for heat and cold.
I knew this. I just thought it varied by maybe 5 degrees, not 15 or 20! Interesting to learn, though.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Agreed; what's the point of setting your AC at 77 when the outside air temperature isn't much higher than that? You use the AC to get a good night's sleep, not to waste electricity with little/no improvement in your room's liveability..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Just don't complain about Chicago winter temps, or New England winter temps, as they are perfectly fine just as they are, with no extraordinary means necessary..
I wouldn't complain about them, but there's no denying that Chicago and New England are significantly colder than average in winter, and not hotter than average in the summer, compared to the rest of the nation and planet. You're discussing things from your localized frame of reference, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm looking at larger-scale relativity.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Agreed; what's the point of setting your AC at 77 when the outside air temperature isn't much higher than that?
That's kind of the point. AC is a luxury in Chicago, to make the temp slightly more ideal than it already is, other than maybe a few days out of the year. That's why it doesn't even come standard in many residences. (As opposed to heat in Chicago or AC in Phoenix, which are absolute necessities and standard in every residence.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago