Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Agreed; what's the point of setting your AC at 77 when the outside air temperature isn't much higher than that?
This why I don't bother with A/C. It generally cools down at night. I have no interest in having the room cooler than 77°F in the summer, though it is usually it is somewhat cooler than that.

Setting the A/C to a high setting (if you don't have fans) with closed windows is kinda stuffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I knew this. I just thought it varied by maybe 5 degrees, not 15 or 20! Interesting to learn, though.
The windows are open today and I am in t-shirt and shorts. It could be cooler. DW complains it's cold and goes and puts on a sweatshirt.
AC is 76-78.
Heat is 68-72.
Variance is due to outdoor temps and how hot or cold 2nd floor gets before bed.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The windows are open today and I am in t-shirt and shorts. It could be cooler. DW complains it's cold and goes and puts on a sweatshirt.
AC is 76-78.
Heat is 68-72.
Variance is due to outdoor temps and how hot or cold 2nd floor gets before bed.
I guess it's not in the mid 90s there anymore? 94°F right now. I have no A/C. I've been keeping the windows closed in the day and have a fan on me, then open the blinds and windows at night. House is in the low 80s.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
or on days when it get down into the 60s at night
Got into the 60s last night briefly here. Daytime is a different story.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I guess it's not in the mid 90s there anymore?
Overcast, drizzly, and 74 at nearly 2 PM. The idea that a day like this is even possible on or near the Summer Solstice illustrates that Chicago has pretty mild summers, IMO.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Overcast, drizzly, and 74 at nearly 2 PM. The idea that a day like this is even possible on or near the Summer Solstice illustrates that Chicago has pretty mild summers, IMO.
We get breaks in the heat that places like Texas or Atlanta typically don't get. The duration of our heat spells is also shorter.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
We get breaks in the heat that places like Texas or Atlanta typically don't get. The duration of our heat spells is also shorter.
Relative to those places it's not just that Chicago's "heat" spells are shorter and have breaks in them; most of the time they're not even hot to begin with.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times
Quote:
Holy cow. That's an ice box by any definition. Usually when people argue over how to set the AC it's arguing over, say, 74 vs. 77. Nobody I've ever known sets their AC in the 60's. I'd hate to see your electric bill, though I suppose you save on heat if you also keep it that cool in the winter.
Well that's the thing, isn't it? You don't know everybody. Some people set their ac that high because it's just too damn hot and they don't wanna pay for that much ac. I know I personally like it much cooler and 82 is not good sleeping weather, for me or most of the people I know. That doesn't make either of us wrong. I think where one grew up and their blood line is a big part of the difference.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times
Quote:
That's kind of the point. AC is a luxury in Chicago, to make the temp slightly more ideal than it already is, other than maybe a few days out of the year. That's why it doesn't even come standard in many residences. (As opposed to heat in Chicago or AC in Phoenix, which are absolute necessities and standard in every residence.)
This is funny. Most people in Chicago in the summer are constantly in ac or seeking it. AC at home, in the car, on the train, at work... when you wake up in the morning and open your front door and just get hit in the face with humidity, you know it's summer in Chicago. If it's truly an ideal temp range for you though, then that's great.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
This is funny. Most people in Chicago in the summer are constantly in ac or seeking it. AC at home, in the car, on the train, at work... when you wake up in the morning and open your front door and just get hit in the face with humidity, you know it's summer in Chicago. If it's truly an ideal temp range for you though, then that's great.
What's the humor in that? I must be missing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago