Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyervikas81 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I have heard that there are many shady areas to the south of the city. I would preferably stay in the west part of Chicago. The 2 Bath is good to have but not a strict requirement. Can you guys recommend a nice, safe and clean burb on the west side of the city for a 2 bed apartment <$1600. Thanks and Appreciate your help.

If you want to be closer to Indian Grocery stores like you say, then I'd recommend somewhere in the northern area of Chicago or suburb north of that near Skokie or Evanston. There are a few indian groceries in the west/south suburbs and of the city, but mostly all the Indian Grocery stores are either in the West Ridge section of Chicago or the suburb of Skokie which is a little north of that. The area in West Ridge is basically little India. There are some other Indian grocers in some other places like Morton Grove, Glenview, etc. There might be a few on the west side of the city like Elmhurst, but by FAR the biggest concentration is in the north.

I would suggest you look up there near a Metra stop if you want the 30 minute thing (although if you found somewhere in Skokie or Glenview, it might be closer to 35-45 minutes to downtown on the metra).

P.S. Many areas on the south side are good, but yes there are bad ones. Some of the worst areas in the city (i.e. Austin, Humboldt Park, and Garfield Park) are actually on the West side of the city, although some parts on the west side are getting first nice now (i.e. Wicker Park, Bucktown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
I'd consider towns like Des Plaines (very close to O'Hare airport), Glenview, Arlington Heights, Evanston, Oak Park, Elmhurst, Downers Grove, Naperville, etc. unless you would prefer a city neighborhood. The towns I mentioned are all suburbs. The OP may want to have this thread moved to the Chicago Suburbs section. All of the towns I mentioned have very good Metra train access to the city. Here in the Chicago area, the city lifestyle (and cost of amenities) are not quite the same as the suburbs. Especially coming from the Charlotte area you will notice the difference. If nightlife is not important, I'd go with the suburbs. If nightlife and city amenities are important (despite cost), go with a city neighborhood. Most of the suburbs I mentioned have plenty of Indian professionals, families, shopping, restaurants, etc. Other than Devon Ave in the West Rogers Park area of the city's north side, it's actually more difficult to find Indian grocery shopping within the city (compared to the Northern, NW and Western suburbs).

Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM

40 posts, read 82,148 times
Umm...did you mean to post in the Chicago forumn and not the Charlotte one?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGeorgia View Post
Umm...did you mean to post in the Chicago forumn and not the Charlotte one?
The title and post clearly say they're moving FROM Charlotte TO Chicago so................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ............

Old 08-15-2012, 04:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default You need to get out to DuPage Co more often..

I work with a large number of folks who hail from India and neighboring countries. Many have lived / worked in other parts of the region and all pretty uniformly agree that the variety / quality of foods from their home land that available not just in the smaller speciality stores but the larger co-op groceries is first rate in DuPage Co.

There are several religous /cultrural centers in DuPage Co for folks fro SE Asia / Indian sub-continent as well as many resturants.

It is simply not true that "mostly all" Indian groceries are in West Ridge or Skokie / Evanston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you want to be closer to Indian Grocery stores like you say, then I'd recommend somewhere in the northern area of Chicago or suburb north of that near Skokie or Evanston. There are a few indian groceries in the west/south suburbs and of the city, but mostly all the Indian Grocery stores are either in the West Ridge section of Chicago or the suburb of Skokie which is a little north of that. The area in West Ridge is basically little India. There are some other Indian grocers in some other places like Morton Grove, Glenview, etc. There might be a few on the west side of the city like Elmhurst, but by FAR the biggest concentration is in the north.

I would suggest you look up there near a Metra stop if you want the 30 minute thing (although if you found somewhere in Skokie or Glenview, it might be closer to 35-45 minutes to downtown on the metra).

P.S. Many areas on the south side are good, but yes there are bad ones. Some of the worst areas in the city (i.e. Austin, Humboldt Park, and Garfield Park) are actually on the West side of the city, although some parts on the west side are getting first nice now (i.e. Wicker Park, Bucktown).

Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 PM

14 posts, read 16,901 times
Default A site that specializes in downtown neighborhoods

Hey,

I don't know if this will help, but when I was moving to downtown Chicago I found this site that specializes only on the two most popular downtown neighborhoods, Streeterville and River North neighborhoods.

The site is Guide to Moving Downtown Chicago | Making your move to downtown Chicago, IL easy.. It's not a broker owned site, so they were not trying to steer me towards certain properties, which I like. However, it's useless if you're looking outside the realm of downtown neighborhoods.

Good luck!

P.S. I personally like Streeterville the best.

Here are the links for the neighborhoods:

Streeterville neighborhood --> Streeterville Neighborhood | Guide to Moving Downtown Chicago

River North neighborhood --> River North Neighborhood | Guide to Moving Downtown Chicago

Last edited by Southern_Guy; 02-12-2014 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Links showed up odd

Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 PM

14 posts, read 16,901 times
Default link fix

Hey,

Not sure why my links didn't work, so I'm trying again to fix it. See below:

Guide to Moving Downtown Chicago | Making your move to downtown Chicago, IL easy.

Here are the ones to the neighborhoods:

Streeterville neighborhood --> Streeterville neighborhood

River North neighborhood --> River North neighborhood

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
this thread is 2 years old, so I would imagine they have figured it out by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago