Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
As someone living in Kansas City I can say with total confidence that the idea that people here aren't as crazy about the Chiefs as Chicagoans are about the Bears is laughable. The fans here are crazy. Ask anyone who's ever been to Arrowhead.

Stephei, I guess I don't see what your issue with people who go to bars, hang out with their friends and "don't even socialize" You say you'd rather just have people over at your house, and, of course, people do that all the time too, but a lot of people have small apartments or grumpy neighbors or just generally prefer their place to be a sanctuary from the outside world. The idea of local watering hole as meeting place is as old as time.

After four and half years, I finally get it. It is that let catch up and hang out at the neighborhood bar mentality . But to me that feels so social inclusive, small town, construction worker feel. It seems like the neighborhood bars are like this in a bigger scale.

I get a expected more socially in Chicago since it is so hyped up if you are single, you must live in the single neighborhood parts of Chicago. I felt like I have more interaction with people in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Minnesotans may be as enthusiastic about sports as Chicagoans are, but they sure are quiet about it.
Yeah. I agree to an extent. There are certainly loud mouths, a good number of them but they are tame compared to Bears, Raiders, Alabama U fans, etc.

Quote:
I'm not sure why we're talking about sports fanaticism. While we're talking about Chicago night life, something's been puzzling me since I got here.
I think it's because the sports culture is so ingrained into some of the bars here...

Quote:
Why don't people in Chicago bars talk to each other? Or is it just me because I smell bad?
I've noticed that too. It pisses off one of my friends from LA/Middle East. Well, not like it's always the case, but it depends on the bar and everything. Compared to some other countries though, it's not that bad I think some bars have a very "I'm only talking with my friends" mentality.

The thing I hate about all this though is that while I absolutely love sports, there's only so much fanaticism I can take. It seems as if half of the conversations at some bars are about only sports (cubs, sox, bulls, etc). As much as I love those sports, I want to talk about other things. I've found bars where people are like that, but definitely not the norm in this city.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I hate that working class blue collar vibe a bar on evey corner. That is what makes Chicago overall way to gritty. I know I sound like a snob.
At the very least it sounds like you're in the wrong city. It might be time to put less energy into complaining about Chicago and more energy into leaving.

The neighborhood bars are not all "working class blue collar," by the way. They tend to have a pretty good cross section of the people who live nearby, which is what makes them neighborhood bars.

I've had conversations with plenty of strangers at bars in Pilsen. It does seem to be less common on the North Side, though.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 11-12-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why we're talking about sports fanaticism. While we're talking about Chicago night life, something's been puzzling me since I got here. Why don't people in Chicago bars talk to each other? Or is it just me because I smell bad?
Yes. Start using pitstick.

I have the opposite problem; random people starting conversations about random schizzit with me when I just want to drink a beer and read my Reader in peace. Nowadays I try to grab a table where you're more likely to be left alone.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I have the opposite problem; random people starting conversations about random schizzit with me when I just want to drink a beer and read my Reader in peace. Nowadays I try to grab a table where you're more likely to be left alone.
The assumption is that if you just want to drink a beer and read a newspaper by yourself, you would do that at home. By doing it in a bar instead people assume you're trying to be social.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The assumption is that if you just want to drink a beer and read a newspaper by yourself, you would do that at home. By doing it in a bar instead people assume you're trying to be social.
Right, nothing says "I'm trying to be social" like burying one's face in a newspaper.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right, nothing says "I'm trying to be social" like burying one's face in a newspaper.
Well, by doing it in a bar, instead of at home, you invite comments like "Hey, what you readin?" Because people assume because you're in a bar, you want some kind of social interaction.

Why go to a bar to drink a beer and read a paper, if you don't also want the interaction that goes along with that? You could drink a beer and read the paper at home.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Well, by doing it in a bar, instead of at home, you invite comments like "Hey, what you readin?" Because people assume because you're in a bar, you want some kind of social interaction.
Not if I'm clearly signaling that I'm not interested in socializing. Not everyone goes to a bar to socialize.

Quote:
Why go to a bar to drink a beer and read a paper, if you don't also want the interaction that goes along with that? You could drink a beer and read the paper at home.
Sometimes I want a change of scenery and a beer that isn't easily found at the corner liquor store. That doesn't mean I want you yapping in my ear as well.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
I'm going to start bothering every guy at the bar with the paper, hoping it's Drover just so I can annoy him.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I'm going to start bothering every guy at the bar with the paper, hoping it's Drover just so I can annoy him.
You'd be surprised how quickly I can roll that sucker up and whap you across the snout with while firmly saying "NO!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago