Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times

Advertisements

The combo at Johnny's is really good. They have the spices down really well. This is my favorite spot, I usually eat 2 combo's with a large lemon ice.

Portillo's isn't bad but I feel they skimp on the beef and they're pricey.

Al's is pretty good as well, I feel their spices and hot peppers are great. They're also pricey. When I went to UIC, one of my favorite things was to go to Al's on Taylor St. and then cross to get a lemon ice at the little shack.

I've had Pop's and to me, they're definitely not playing in the same league as the 3 mentioned above.

I've had Mr. Beef a few times, they're good but I put them in the same category as Pop's.

In my travels outside of Chicago, I've come to find that most people have never heard of Italian beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM

31 posts, read 75,729 times
For flavor and texture, Portillos wins hands down. The bread is just right.

People knock Portillos cause it has multiple locations. Dick Portillo is a genious when it comes to being a business owner. He is also very loyal to what he believes in when it comes to the food that his business serves. They are using the same recipe and ingredients that made them popular and used from day one when they were just a little shack in Villa Park that had no running water. Most companies choose quantity over quality when they become big enough. But Porillo's never did that! The only thing that is different is the price. They had to increase it of course due to the overhead they have. People know that the Beef sandwich is awesome and thats why they continue to go there.

That place is making lots of money for a reason. People are not going there because its cheap and convienient like they do when they go to a place like McDonalds. They spend their money cause the Beef Sandwich is good! Thats the bottom line and if the Beef was crap, people wouldn't continue to line up and spend 9 bucks for one. Go to Portillos and there is always a long line.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
IMO Portillo's is good but I've had better. Dolly Joe's at Madison and Central was MUCH better but that was 50 years ago. Carm's at Cicero and Harrison, later on 12th St in Oak Park, was great but I switched to Bouna when it opened up at 12th and Oak Park in Berwyn. And Bouna is still pretty damned good.

You gotta judge a beef stand on the quality of their sausage too. Jay's has great sausage as does Bouna and Al's. Portillo's sausage isn't so good IMO.

I hear Luke's at Harlem and Belmont is good but haven't tried it yet.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM

221 posts, read 358,027 times
Some beef places have come and gone in Chicago and some are still there and doing well.
It's safe to say that some places have made a big name for themselves and will be making
Italian beef sandwiches for the next 100 yrs . I remember this beef joint over there on the
westside near Grand & Ogden but I think it's a Starbucks or some yuppie place now.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I'll have the sushi with sweet peppers.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'll have the sushi with sweet peppers.
yes and I will wash it down with a latte

Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
Some beef places have come and gone in Chicago and some are still there and doing well.
It's safe to say that some places have made a big name for themselves and will be making
Italian beef sandwiches for the next 100 yrs . I remember this beef joint over there on the
westside near Grand & Ogden but I think it's a Starbucks or some yuppie place now.
Would that have been LaRocs ??

Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Would that have been LaRocs ??
yes , now keep in mind that they were not the best or anything but I just wanted to use LaRocs
as an example on how things change in the old neighborhoods , ya know.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Portillos is my staple now for going out for a sandwich....but, I also buy it house made at Caputo's and freeze it to bring back to NC. Last time, it wasn't that good, though. I was quite sad as I was back in Charlotte then...

Don't remember the name of the place that we used to go to when I was a kid. It was on Milwaukee Ave on the outskirts of Logan Square...across the street from that pet shop that used to have a tiger upstairs in the glassed-in area...Animal Kingdom, I think...anyone remember that? Maybe the restaurant name was 6 C's or something like that? I remember that their beef sandwiches were amazing. Of course that was more than 25 years ago...

Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Portillos is my staple now for going out for a sandwich....but, I also buy it house made at Caputo's and freeze it to bring back to NC. Last time, it wasn't that good, though. I was quite sad as I was back in Charlotte then...

Don't remember the name of the place that we used to go to when I was a kid. It was on Milwaukee Ave on the outskirts of Logan Square...across the street from that pet shop that used to have a tiger upstairs in the glassed-in area...Animal Kingdom, I think...anyone remember that? Maybe the restaurant name was 6 C's or something like that? I remember that their beef sandwiches were amazing. Of course that was more than 25 years ago...
you know that you can take a girl out of Chicago but you will never take Chicago out of the girl
well something like that right ? thanks for the post Cubs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago