Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
We can blame crime on both of those, but the reality is probably that all three (violent crime, drugs and family breakdown) can really be traced to the prevalence of lead in the environment. That links goes to one recent article, but the link between crime and lead has been postulated and then documented for decades now, every decade the link being shown to be stronger and stronger. Cities, including Chicago, have been anti-lead for a long time, but Chicago is actually not anywhere near a leader in lead mitigation. If you want to make a long-term contribution to stabilizing minority families, making inner-city neighborhoods more appealing to the middle class, reducing violent crime and drug abuse, then call Rahm now and tell him that making lead mitigation a key plank in his platform is critical to the health of Chicago as a city. Then vote accordingly.
Yep, that and easy availability of proper contraception. These are actual real steps we could take for fairly nominal costs and with many studies and a large body of research and data to support them. These aren't the only steps that should be taken, but given how relatively minor investments into these things compared to what the projected costs of not doing them are, I don't see why there shouldn't be a push to do them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yep, that and easy availability of proper contraception. These are actual real steps we could take for fairly nominal costs and with many studies and a large body of research and data to support them. These aren't the only steps that should be taken, but given how relatively minor investments into these things compared to what the projected costs of not doing them are, I don't see why there shouldn't be a push to do them.
And access to legal abortion.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yep, that and easy availability of proper contraception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
And access to legal abortion.
Yes, and yes. Also, comprehensive sex education. I've talked to teachers of 5th through 8th graders in poor neighborhoods on the South Side who tell me sex ed is pretty much nonexistent (along with any other kind of education that isn't on the tests they have to teach to now). We should not be surprised that young poor kids get pregnant and continue the cycle of poverty until we address this at the very minimum.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
America's Real Criminal Element: Lead | Mother Jones

This seems like a more likely explanation than the decline of churches.
Just to add to that, here's an article about Chicago and lead poisoning

Chicago Slums and the Long Shadow of Lead Paint - The 312 - January 2012 - Chicago

I have seen the effect of lead poisoning on children in terms of learning disabilities and IQ, but never found this connection before. It seems to me that this is something that government could address and we could see if it did lead to a decrease in crime. It certainly would not hurt anything if we actually addressed this part of the problem.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Default Schools in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Where did I say I was expecting them to?
Right here. And, where I'm from, requirements and expectations are one in the same, i.e. to require white brothas and sistas to send an elevator back down, is to expect them to do so. I wonder what part of this you're missing.
Quote:
it requires the people in power, most of whom are white, to "send the elevator back down."
Quote:
That was sarcasm.
:chuckles: Oh, I see. Nothing like a little sense of humor when discussing the number one topic bringing down the black community. Now, catch-up with your crowd.

School's out.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-04-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Food for thought:

http://kusleika.com/breakfast/wp-con...2/beafraid.jpg

Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Right here. And, where I'm from, requirements and expectations are one in the same, i.e. to require white brothas and sistas to send an elevator back down, is to expect them to do so.
Please work on your reading comprehension. I was saying that's what would be required in order to address the problem. I didn't say I expected it to happen. These are absolutely not the same thing. If I say that for me to purchase a yacht today it would require me becoming a multi-millionaire in the next couple of hours, does that mean I expect it to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
:chuckles: Oh, I see. Nothing like a little sense of humor when discussing the number one topic bringing down the black community. Now, catch-up with your crowd.
It was you who made the pathetic attempt at humor with the horribly hacky and offensive "joke." I called you out on it. Somebody had to.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
If I say that for me to purchase a yacht today it would require me becoming a multi-millionaire in the next couple of hours, does that mean I expect it to happen?
Well, that depends. All I know is, if you're at my dealership with the intent of purchasing a yacht, you better be expecting something. Because, I'm gonna be looking for my loot, i.e. pay me, pay me, don't delay me.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Chicago has tough gun laws, but leads nation in gun violence | Fox News

on the front page of Foxnews.com
I think this more than verifies Chicago and its gun control laws DO NOT work!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
Chicago does not lead the nation by ratio in murders nor gun violence and because you have to consider cities of different sizes in the equation the highest number by ratio matters more than the highest number by volume. Gary was the murder capital nine years in a row from 1995- 2003. Why? Because it had the highest ratio of murders of any city with 100k or more residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago