Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, the other stuff in my post wasn't entirely accurate, was it? You did specify who you were and what you were talkin about - the OP.

And yes, it is frightening if you have common sense. When they start shooing ewch other, it's best to not be in the immediate vicinity. It's best to not have your name associated with them when the cops get involved. I grew up with guys like that and they're not the best people to hang around, either way. They were same guys who sat in the back of the class and picked fights with people and thought it was cool to be ignorant. I try my best to surround myself with open minded people who intellectually stimaute me. Not thugs who hang out on street corners.
:sigh: Accurate? Your post didn't contain any actual information. You basically said to me, "Hey Sarcasmo, why don't you try walking through the crowd of gentlemen lollygagging in front of the liquor store and see what happens," to which I responded, "I have, and nothing happens." And then you went and changed it to something slightly less asinine.

Oh, and good for you, hobnobbing with the intelligentsia. If I ever hang out with you, I'll be sure to don my finest monocle. In any event, who you hang out with is irrelevant to the point, which is it's hilariously paranoid to be shivering in your Hush Puppies because you saw some people outside of Burger King around Chicago and Pulaski.

Edit: And we're done here. I'm too lazy to update my posts to reflect every time you change your mind about what you want to say. I'm late for my afternoon cocktails as it is. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
:sigh: Accurate? Your post didn't contain any actual information. You basically said to me, "Hey Sarcasmo, why don't you try walking through the crowd of gentlemen lollygagging in front of the liquor store and see what happens," to which I responded, "I have, and nothing happens." And then you went and changed it to something slightly less asinine.

Oh, and good for you, hobnobbing with the intelligentsia. If I ever hang out with you, I'll be sure to don my finest monocle. In any event, who you hang out with is irrelevant to the point, which is it's hilariously paranoid to be shivering in your Hush Puppies because you saw some people outside of Burger King around Chicago and Pulaski.

Edit: And we're done here. I'm too lazy to update my posts to reflect every time you change your mind about what you want to say. I'm late for my afternoon cocktails as it is. Cheers.
You are confusing me with someone very different than me. I just take issue with your nonchalant attitude about guys who "stand around" in the hood.

EDIT: Have fun. I will be working (in Gary, Indiana) till 4 and can't really afford anything along the lines of cocktails for the rest of this pay period.

Last edited by urza216; 01-17-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
....I also think it's very possible to pass through an area and instantly recognize it as high crime.
No it's not, unless you actually witness a lot of crime happening. Otherwise you're just witnessing things you personally associate with crime, which brings us to:

Quote:
If young males are standing around on street corners and/or in front of liquor stores, it's not a place you want to be.
What are they going to do? Try to sell you drugs? Proposition you? Saying "no thanks" or ignoring them and walking away tends to solve that pretty easily. They likely won't even do that much. They have their own lives that don't have much to do with yours.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
No it's not, unless you actually witness a lot of crime happening. Otherwise you're just witnessing things you personally associate with crime, which brings us to:

What are they going to do? Try to sell you drugs? Proposition you? Saying "no thanks" or ignoring them and walking away tends to solve that pretty easily. They likely won't even do that much. They have their own lives that don't have much to do with yours.
If you can stand around on a street corner or in front of a liquor store for hours and hours on end, you don't have much of a life.

What they're trying to do is show what big balls they have and how much they straight up run this place, b. This is also why they take forever to walk back to the sidewalk when you are trying to pass through and they're hangin out in the middle of the road. Because this is THEIR street and you must have thier permission to drive through. They are giving you permission to enter the liquor store as well.

If a neighorhood has tons of liquor stores and groups of guys who spend thier days hanging around in front of them, it IS a high crime area.

You are naive.

Last edited by urza216; 01-17-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
If you can stand around on a street corner or in front of a liquor store for hours and hours on end, you don't have much of a life.
I have a feeling some of them might say the same thing about people who post on internet message boards for hours and hours on end.

Quote:
What they're trying to do is show what big balls they have and how much they straight up run this place, b. This is also why they take forever to walk back to the sidewalk when you are trying to pass through and they're hangin out in the middle of the road. Because this is THEIR street and you must have thier permission to drive through. They are giving you permission to enter the liquor store as well.
You're telling us a lot more about yourself with this statement than you are telling us about people who stand in front of liquor stores.

Quote:
If a neighorhood has tons of liquor stores and groups of guys who spend thier days hanging around in front of them, it IS a high crime area.
No, if a neighborhood has tons of liquor stores it's a high liquor store area. If a neighborhood has tons of crime, it is a high crime area. I would guess that the two have a relatively high rate of correlation, but it's not a perfect 1.00 correlation, as very few things are, therefore you cannot assume one by knowing the other.

Quote:
You are naive.
Nah, I'm just not paranoid. There's a difference. I'm also intellectually curious and question the assumptions I'm fed. Try it sometime. You might learn something. I've spent a fair amount of time in Gary, believe it or not, and I can't imagine they take too kindly to the attitude you've shown in this thread, if you're unwise enough to share it there.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 01-17-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM

Btw - I'm not entirely sure where Chicago and Pulaski is. I know exactly where 167th and Pulaski is though.. There's a Mcdonalds over there but no Burger King.

There is nothing wrong with hanging in front of a Burgar King, in and of itself. But if you are still there 4 hours later, I call that being a hoodrat.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Right, if you walk by a liquor store with a bunch of dudes hanging out, they're not even going to say anything to you at all. They're just going to continue whatever it is they were doing before you showed up. Even if, as urza believes, they said to you, "Whatch you need, bro, whatch you need?" (which they in all probablity wouldn't) the answer is "Nah, I'm straight," and we're done. Some people watch too many movies. If every time anyone walked by a place with dudes hanging around something happened, no one would be able to get on with their life, because something would be happening all of the time.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Right, if you walk by a liquor store with a bunch of dudes hanging out, they're not even going to say anything to you at all. They're just going to continue whatever it is they were doing before you showed up. Even if, as urza believes, they said to you, "Whatch you need, bro, whatch you need?" (which they in all probablity wouldn't) the answer is "Nah, I'm straight," and we're done. Some people watch too many movies. If every time anyone walked by a place with dudes hanging around something happened, no one would be able to get on with their life, because something would be happening all of the time.
Well, I am a writer so I like to use colorful language like a movie.

I was referring to if you approached them and started talking to them. They would assume that you want something.

It's not so much that something WILL happen but there's a much higher probability that something will happen. I guess I don't really walk this talk though. I love Big Boys in Chicago Heights and there are some shady charaters there, sometimes. But I don't patronize liquor stores like this.

The bottom line is that "standing around" is not okay.

My best friend was stabbed to death while selling drugs shortly after high school. I survived (unlike my friend) and moved on with my life. No one came for me or anything like that, no.

Last edited by urza216; 01-17-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with hanging in front of a Burgar King, in and of itself. But if you are still there 4 hours later, I call that being a hoodrat.
Either that, or some other "h" words, e.g. hungry, homeless, or hooker.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I was referring to if you approached them and started talking to them. They would assume that you want something.
You mean kind of like anyone would if a stranger approached them on the street to talk to them? Okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago