Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A 6,000 square-foot gewgaw explicitly designed to assault your visual senses perched on the outfield wall is a hell of a big deal if you ask me. I can't think of any other single item that could blight the historic ambiance of the place more than that infernal thing. Go ahead and tear down the ivy and plaster over the brick walls while you're at it.
Holy f****** s***, it's way worse than I had ever feared. Not only does it absolutely dwarf the original center field scoreboard, which IMO should have always remained far and away the central focus of the outfield perimeter if they wanted to maintain the "historic" ambiance, but it absolutely dwarfs everything else in the stadium. It's a huge, gigantic, retina-scorching eyesore. You can't look away from it if you try. No more home runs onto Waveland, or at least not nearly as many. As best I can tell, the only remaining historic ambiance in this place would be the ancient bathrooms (if they haven't been renovated already) and the marginally edible hot dogs. I'll still support the Cubs but I don't think I'll lose sleep if I never see another game at Wrigley again; what's the point if the experience is now little different than seeing a game anywhere else in the league?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Holy f****** s***, it's way worse than I had ever feared. Not only does it absolutely dwarf the original center field scoreboard, which IMO should have always remained far and away the central focus of the outfield perimeter if they wanted to maintain the "historic" ambiance, but it absolutely dwarfs everything else in the stadium. It's a huge, gigantic, retina-scorching eyesore. You can't look away from it if you try. No more home runs onto Waveland, or at least not nearly as many. As best I can tell, the only remaining historic ambiance in this place would be the ancient bathrooms (if they haven't been renovated already) and the marginally edible hot dogs. I'll still support the Cubs but I don't think I'll lose sleep if I never see another game at Wrigley again; what's the point if the experience is now little different than seeing a game anywhere else in the league?
Not exactly subtle, is it?

Some people will never understand that "bigger" is not always "better"...

This will cut down on the crowd standing outside Wrigley, hoping to catch home run balls..

Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Sounds like it was a literal **** show at Wrigley last night.

"An Absolute **** Show": Tales From The Wrigley Field Bathroom Lines

The Rickets family have proven to be amateurs so far when it comes to running a MLB franchise.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Yeah looks like it was a disaster. Only a few functional toilets meant people were waiting for 30-60 minutes to go to the bathroom, this is for mens and womens. The cubs resorted to giving people passes and were sending them across the street to use the bathrooms in neigboring businesses. People were apparently just peeing everywhere inside the stadium by the 6th inning and peeing into cups sitting all around. Total mess, no wonder everyone left so early.

Lots of reports they totally ran out of food as well by the 6th inning or so.

They're apparently going to bring in tons of porta-potties for tomorrow's game. Not sure if they took out the troughs and put in urinals as they reduced the number of bathrooms overall. Even with a few upstairs bathrooms out of service, sounds like people who didn't know that were still trying to come upstairs to pee due to lines hundreds of people long downstairs.

The bathroom lines snaked through the entire concourse area and then out into the stands. I've never seen that, just hundreds of people lined up back and forth in the stands just trying to get to the back areas of the stadium. Sad sight, sure ruined the night for those who showed up. Very glad I didn't get tickets!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post

The Rickets family have proven to be amateurs so far when it comes to running a MLB franchise.
Hey, but at least they got the jumbotron up and running. First things first!

I've heard the CFD had to roll the pump truck out of the fire house and hose down the alleyway under the L tracks to rinse off the pee from the fans who had nowhere else to go. It's entirely possible that this is an exaggeration.... but the sad part is, it's entirely possible it isn't.

Sounds like they definitely should have done a deal to get as many of their home games in Milwaukee and the Cell as they could while they at least finish up the bathrooms.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Pretty crazy that the health department allowed them to use the stadium in the shape it is in. I heard there was one women's restroom open for the entire lower level. There is no way that is legal.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Bathrooms are important.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
hopefully the bathroom incident will kick construction into high gear

Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Not only does it absolutely dwarf the original center field scoreboard, which IMO should have always remained far and away the central focus of the outfield perimeter if they wanted to maintain the "historic" ambiance, but it absolutely dwarfs everything else in the stadium. It's a huge, gigantic, retina-scorching eyesore. You can't look away from it if you try. No more home runs onto Waveland, or at least not nearly as many.
I agree, the "Jumbotron" (do they even call them that anymore?) is ridiculously stupid-looking in that location, and it's a just a shame to take the focus of the back of the park off the old 1930's score board. Wrigley Field has been seriously defaced, and the Rickett's should be ashamed. The one reason I had to go to Cubs games, the traditional feel and ambiance of the park, has been marginalized to the point that I will not feel compelled to support more losing teams with my attendance.

They should have gone with multiple smaller screens that were better-integrated in to the building. The idea of a single giant screen is silly, and adds very little to the game that couldn't be accomplished with smaller screens.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post

Let me preface this with I'm a Sox fan, and I have absolutely no love for the Cubs.

But the guy is spending $500 million of his own money to make badly needed upgrades to the park that will keep the franchise competitive for decades to comes. Sure, he should have admitted defeat and played a season in Milwaukee rather than a construction zone. And sure the Jumbotron will take getting used to, though it's going to be a big revenue generator.

He's also brought in some very smart baseball people to run the draft and on-the-field operations. If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be feeling pretty good about the future with Ricketts in control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago