Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago - Land of the Fatties?
Yes, it seems more than an average amount of people here are overweight to obese compared to other cities I've lived and visited 9 31.03%
No, there are just as many, if not more fit and health-conscious people here along with the usual amount of obese people found in any city 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM

249 posts, read 443,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Yes, we are a very, very fat city. And it likely has less to do with deep dish and Italian beef and more to do with the 100s of thousands of impoverished residents with terrible eating habits.

Insightful and spoken like a true resident. Much obliged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
I guess it depends on your comparison.

http://www.maxmasnick.com/media/2011...unty_large.png

Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 PM

467 posts, read 1,891,370 times
Lack of access to grocery stores and healthy eating options (food deserts) contribute to obesity in poor areas of the city.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
I don't think so, at least not from what I've seen. When I compare it to a city like my hometown, Houston, which is generally considered a "fat" city, it doesn't seem the same. The city itself is much more active... I can't speak for Chicagoland because I don't live in the burbs, but people in and around the city are pretty fit. I think I agree with what some have said that it varies based on location, but I think when you look at it overall, Chicago doesn't reflect that -- like for example Super Fans on SNL, that's not how I see Chicago when I see most people.

People here love to eat, I can't blame them, it's a great city for food. I think that because the city itself is more walkable, it doesn't have that image to me vs. cities I've seen in the south that are generally regarded as obese.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I guess it depends on your comparison.

http://www.maxmasnick.com/media/2011...unty_large.png
I guess this should help the OP. Cook County is grouped in the lowest obesity % on the map.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM

285 posts, read 386,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Lack of access to grocery stores and healthy eating options (food deserts) contribute to obesity in poor areas of the city.
Agreed. Combine that with a dearth of exercise options in those areas and you've got a recipe for widespread obesity. Maybe a lack of interest too? A friend of mine volunteered for an organization that targeted menopausal aged women from low income neighborhoods to participate in an exercise program and measure the results; it was very hard to recruit and retain women for this completely free service.

Overall, I don't think the "good" areas of Chicago are any worse or better than most other cities I've been to. Even if these areas aren't overly obese, there's still plenty of people who could use a good workout program to get healthier.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I don't think so, at least not from what I've seen. When I compare it to a city like my hometown, Houston, which is generally considered a "fat" city, it doesn't seem the same. The city itself is much more active... I can't speak for Chicagoland because I don't live in the burbs, but people in and around the city are pretty fit. I think I agree with what some have said that it varies based on location, but I think when you look at it overall, Chicago doesn't reflect that -- like for example Super Fans on SNL, that's not how I see Chicago when I see most people.

People here love to eat, I can't blame them, it's a great city for food. I think that because the city itself is more walkable, it doesn't have that image to me vs. cities I've seen in the south that are generally regarded as obese.

Reps for this post man. Great intel. Exactly what I'm after.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Overall, I don't think the "good" areas of Chicago are any worse or better than most other cities I've been to. Even if these areas aren't overly obese, there's still plenty of people who could use a good workout program to get healthier.

You make a good point here Prost, and whether it be obese or semi-fit people, the uncompromising variable has to be a general -will- to improve one's health/body/fitness level, regardless of one's own subjective motivation.

Perhaps a follow-up Q I could pose to you folks is, have you in your day-to-day in the city, often heard people mention they want or need to get in better shape for whatever reason? In other words, how important is it to the people of Chicago to look good/be physically desirable OR be healthy/fit/able-bodied?

Compared to other cities you've lived?

It has to be a certain degree for a city to make business-sense for me to relocate to.

Thanks again guys, you've all been very helpful so far!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 PM

211 posts, read 394,943 times
You are on target with the location. However, your target fatties are not the type who are looking for personal trainers. They are too busy buying pampers and eating big macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Hey all,

I'm looking to find a new metro to relocate a personal training business, and Chicago recently came on my radar.

Just was curious to hear from residents, and garner some opinions as to whether they would say Chicago currently has a discernible obesity problem and whether or not the majority of the people generally do not practice clean eating and consistent exercise habits.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
You are on target with the location. However, your target fatties are not the type who are looking for personal trainers. They are too busy buying pampers and eating big macs.

That's why you go looking for them. And you get inside their brains. And you make them think that maybe, just maybe...they - can- do this.

With a professional's help of course.

And so this is where clever marketing comes into play, which if properly executed, spurs a squalid/swarthy person to go from the pre-contemplation phase into the contemplation phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: