Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,952,197 times

Advertisements

My title is somewhat tongue in cheek, but seriously, I really do not like Old Town.

Quick back story: I am building a house in Lakeview (Southport Corridor), but need to rent a place until April when my house is move in ready. I decided to rent in Old Town as it is close to downtown and I thought it seemed like it should be an awesome neighborhood, however, after living there for 3 months, I have so many gripes about the neighborhood:

1. The building stock sucks! - specifically south of North Ave, sh*tty split faced brick buildings and dilapidated frame houses. I'm guessing Old Town is a victim of gentrifying in the '90s, when pretty much all new construction was cheaply made? Also, WTF is with the Boston Market lot and Strip Malls? Jesus.

2. Too Ghetto - walking on Sedgwick after 9pm is interesting, I've never felt unsafe as I am 6'5" 240 LBS but my GF is very uncomfortable walking in certain sections at night. Im guessing it is all the projects right there, Marshal Field Apts?

3. The Restaurants and Bars suck. There are a few decent spots on wells, but the area seems to be severely undeserved by good restaurants, I'm not much of a bar person (don't drink) but it'd be nice to have a several good spots to frequent with friends.

I might be a little critical, but I really did expect more from this neighborhood. Given the location, I would have thought this would have been one of the most happen' parts of town. Does anybody else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM

63 posts, read 81,971 times
lol u blelong in the suburbs maybe try shcaimburg LOL!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
I've only "spent time" in Old Town once when I went to Zanies. Went to a bar or two while we were there also.
Aside from the comedy club, I didn't really care for the crowd. Seemed like a bunch of white collar bros.
Never felt in danger or ghetto.

But I do prefer grittier working class neighborhoods, so yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campsdeloscamps View Post
lol u blelong in the suburbs maybe try shcaimburg LOL!
Werre dat is??

Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
You are obviously closer to Sedtown is my guess - there is a housing project somewhere around there which is why you're saying this stuff. I think it really depends on where you are in the area - some housing stock is really good and classic, some is meh. I think anything east of about Orleans if you're south of North Avenue is better. If you want to see some awesome housing stock though, go north of North Ave a little bit even along Sedgwick. The closeness of the buildings in some areas is more like the East Coast. Remember, there's a lot in the north side that used to be "eh." Lincoln Park and Lakeview used to be shady too.

As far as the restaurants and bars go, there's some good restaurants, but I agree about the bars - not my thing. They're pretty much all bro and irish bars. My alma mater has a bar up there, but it's about the only time I'll go out there unless I'm going to Second City or one of the two comedy clubs near there. It can get pretty happening on Wells though but it won't matter if that's not your thing. My coworker moved to Old Town not long ago from San Diego but already wants to leave. I totally know what you mean about the crowd - MEH.

About restaurants, my favorites in the area are Old Jerusalem (Lebanese food) and the brunch at Kanela is pretty good. Topo Gigio is supposed to be good too. Plum Market, kind of like a Whole Foods, is supposed to be great and if you like cooking then The Spice House is good for getting spices from around the world. There's a chocolate and olive oil shop right there too which are good.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You are obviously closer to Sedtown is my guess - there is a housing project somewhere around there which is why you're saying this stuff. I think it really depends on where you are in the area - some housing stock is really good and classic, some is meh. I think anything east of about Orleans if you're south of North Avenue is better. If you want to see some awesome housing stock though, go north of North Ave a little bit even along Sedgwick. The closeness of the buildings in some areas is more like the East Coast. Remember, there's a lot in the north side that used to be "eh." Lincoln Park and Lakeview used to be shady too.

As far as the restaurants and bars go, there's some good restaurants, but I agree about the bars - not my thing. They're pretty much all bro and irish bars. My alma mater has a bar up there, but it's about the only time I'll go out there unless I'm going to Second City or one of the two comedy clubs near there. It can get pretty happening on Wells though but it won't matter if that's not your thing. My coworker moved to Old Town not long ago from San Diego but already wants to leave. I totally know what you mean about the crowd - MEH.

About restaurants, my favorites in the area are Old Jerusalem (Lebanese food) and the brunch at Kanela is pretty good. Topo Gigio is supposed to be good too. Plum Market, kind of like a Whole Foods, is supposed to be great and if you like cooking then The Spice House is good for getting spices from around the world. There's a chocolate and olive oil shop right there too which are good.
North of North Ave is def better and more desirable, but I couldn't find a decent rental for such a short period of time. I am roughly one block west of Wells, between Goethe and Schiller.
Topo Gigio is excellent, IMO. I have become friendly with the owner, and pretty much dine there regularly.
A friend of mine kept comparing Old Town to the East Village in NYC, and I just do not see it. I think my friend is an idiot
I guess I just expected Old Town to be much more than it is because of it's location. However, It isn't in my opinion. Was just wondering if anyone else felt that way.

Also, what is with the (now closed) Dominiks and Target on Division, is that really the best Chicago can do for such a prime location? I don't understand on Chicago can be so awesome on some levels and so disappointing on others.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
My title is somewhat tongue in cheek, but seriously, I really do not like Old Town.

Quick back story: I am building a house in Lakeview (Southport Corridor), but need to rent a place until April when my house is move in ready. I decided to rent in Old Town as it is close to downtown and I thought it seemed like it should be an awesome neighborhood, however, after living there for 3 months, I have so many gripes about the neighborhood:

1. The building stock sucks! - specifically south of North Ave, sh*tty split faced brick buildings and dilapidated frame houses. I'm guessing Old Town is a victim of gentrifying in the '90s, when pretty much all new construction was cheaply made? Also, WTF is with the Boston Market lot and Strip Malls? Jesus.

2. Too Ghetto - walking on Sedgwick after 9pm is interesting, I've never felt unsafe as I am 6'5" 240 LBS but my GF is very uncomfortable walking in certain sections at night. Im guessing it is all the projects right there, Marshal Field Apts?

3. The Restaurants and Bars suck. There are a few decent spots on wells, but the area seems to be severely undeserved by good restaurants, I'm not much of a bar person (don't drink) but it'd be nice to have a several good spots to frequent with friends.

I might be a little critical, but I really did expect more from this neighborhood. Given the location, I would have thought this would have been one of the most happen' parts of town. Does anybody else feel the same way?
I'm with you.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 PM

Good to know about Topo Gigio and I wouldn't go as far as "east Village" either.. When it's nice out, Wells can be quaint with all the people out and there's some good spots, but I wouldn't live there for fun because it's not my scene at all.

As far as Dominick's goes? Failed business I guess. Target on Division? You have to understand something - that was the site of the former Cabrini Green - essentially the worst public housing project in the country until it was demolished not that long ago. There are still rowhomes there, but not many people (100-200 maybe versus 15,000 at its height). That area is not there yet because it's just primed for development. However, there is supposed to be a nice 20 something story residential building going up near that Target sometime soon and something like 40-50 townhomes where a former school was that are a minimum of $500,000. There's some other development happening and some other proposals (redoing of Atrium Village) in the pipeline for close to there. There is a nice 8 unit building being built near Target and some other pretty nice stuff. Some more, nice stuff too closer to Chicago Avenue going on or about to start too.

Give it some time - that area until recently did have a bad public housing project on it. It's like developers here finally realized a decade ago how prime all of this land is. I'm guessing that area will look completely different in 5-10 years. Target was basically step one after the halt of the recession to build that area up again. If that building is built across the street and is successful, we'll probably see more development around there.

There is a lot of **** that has been knocked down in Chicago and some of it is unfortunate. Some of the weird areas in some parts of town used to look completely different. Chicago used to also look more New york-ish in some areas and European but of course, parts were torn down. ugh.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
There is a direct correlation between how women feel about a neighborhood and what kinds of bars can be successful in the area -- my friends that own an establishment in Forest Park work very close with law enforcement to make sure that women will feel comfortable walking to / from the business. Sometimes this means that folks that "just don't look right" get a little more attention from law enforcement than their behavior would otherwise warrant but the alternative is do have a place that would be described as the the title of this thread...

The effect that gentrification has had on housing stock has been probably been just one factor in the kind of housing that is available in Old Town as more numbers of rental properties in the Old Town area have been whipsawed by redistricting from the old powerful 43rd Ward to the more laid spread out 2nd Ward that snacks around the outskirts of the Loop -- the compact nature of the 43rd Ward (which was included Lincoln Park and other prime north side areas) was split between largely accomodating any zoning request at all in the more run down area vs preserving the character / charm in the more residential areas...

Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Good to know about Topo Gigio and I wouldn't go as far as "east Village" either.. When it's nice out, Wells can be quaint with all the people out and there's some good spots, but I wouldn't live there for fun because it's not my scene at all.

As far as Dominick's goes? Failed business I guess. Target on Division? You have to understand something - that was the site of the former Cabrini Green - essentially the worst public housing project in the country until it was demolished not that long ago. There are still rowhomes there, but not many people (100-200 maybe versus 15,000 at its height). That area is not there yet because it's just primed for development. However, there is supposed to be a nice 20 something story residential building going up near that Target sometime soon and something like 40-50 townhomes where a former school was that are a minimum of $500,000. There's some other development happening and some other proposals (redoing of Atrium Village) in the pipeline for close to there. There is a nice 8 unit building being built near Target and some other pretty nice stuff. Some more, nice stuff too closer to Chicago Avenue going on or about to start too.

Give it some time - that area until recently did have a bad public housing project on it. It's like developers here finally realized a decade ago how prime all of this land is. I'm guessing that area will look completely different in 5-10 years.
I get what you are saying, in reference to the Dominiks, I was pointing out the huge parking lot attached to it, not so much the business itself, per se.
Also, while it is clear there is a lot of construction going on on Division, it is what they are building that is damaging to the neighborhood. That target is just awful, god awful for that location. While I am sure some residential will slowly fill in, I just think there are so many missed opportunities. Why is it that every new residential building in Chicago has to take up like an entire city block? These wide floor plans really alter the scale, and with all of the parking garage podiums, these developments feel so soul-less. What ever happened to sticking with the standard Chicago 25/30/50ft lots???

Old 01-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I get what you are saying, in reference to the Dominiks, I was pointing out the huge parking lot attached to it, not so much the business itself, per se.
Also, while it is clear there is a lot of construction going on on Division, it is what they are building that is damaging to the neighborhood. That target is just awful, god awful for that location. While I am sure some residential will slowly fill in, I just think there are so many missed opportunities. Why is it that every new residential building in Chicago has to take up like an entire city block? These wide floor plans really alter the scale, and with all of the parking garage podiums, these developments feel so soul-less. What ever happened to sticking with the standard Chicago 25/30/50ft lots???
Every new residential building taking up a block in town? No, that's only downtown. There are plenty of smaller multi unit buildings in other parts of town that have popped up or under construction in the last year, including the 8 unit building almost next to that Target under construction, that are not big.

I think your geographical sample size is rather small in talking about this. I agree that some of these places are ****ty - but that's not a lot of the dense areas of Chicago. Most places in Lakeview with new development now will be shot down if there's a big surface lot on it, unless it's close to the freeway. Not even all the big buildings aren't even a block. There is a 35 story residential building under construction near me as we speak that's probably less than a half a block and one of them near it going up around the same size is probably taking up the same floor space.

Here's examples in other areas of town of things going up. There's probably more 2-10 unit buildings going up than huge high rises in the last year

http://tarisrealestate.com/assets/di...l/z/z8lece.jpg
http://chicago.curbed.com/uploads/13...n_01-thumb.jpg---> 23 units, so it's not SMALL but it's small than you'd think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago