Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:26 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
There have been a ton of similar posts recently and even during the past several years. Clearly, there's an abundance of jobs in the north burbs and an abundance of young candidates wanting to live in the north side of the city. I think that as more of these folks choose neighborhoods such as Lincoln Square, the character of the area could evolve over time and may become an "extension" of Lakeview. Look at how Bucktown / Wicker Park have essentially become Lincoln Park "West". Any thoughts on this folks?

True, I think the issue is the LS, Ravenswood areas are marketed towards young families and the geeky, theater non-popular exciting crowd.

Until the marketing is different, I think it will be a long time before Lincoln Square/Ravenswood with be Lakeview West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM

26 posts, read 39,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I was agreement with everything until that last point. It is easy and efficent to get to Lakeview on the Brown Line, but if the OP is looking for excitement Lakeview East and Lincoln Square do not compare at all.

There is a lot more energy and excitement especially near the lake in Lakeview compared to Lincoln Square. I hardly ever go up there just because of the lack of energy. In addition, I am assuming that I am much older than the OP, so I am figuring the OP would probably be bored with the energy in that neighborhood even though there are bars and restaurants.

However for commute sake, I would tell the OP advice to deal with a quiter Lincoln Square for awhile while commuting to Deerfield as the level is excitement is not worth the extra commute time driving.

Driving in Chicago is rough and will take a toll. I would just live near the Brown Line as it probably the most efficient line on the CTA, and you will get to Lakeview in ten minutes or less. I am always shocked how fast it is to commute brown line neighborhoods compared to the Red Line.

If you are out past 2am you can take the red line to Lawrence and catch the 81 Lawrence bus. However, I wanted to give a realistic view on the excitement.

The only good thing sometimes it is nice to come back to quiet neighborhood after partying to wind down.
any idea how much time I'd save commuting to work if I lived in Lincoln Square vs Lakeview?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I was agreement with everything until that last point. It is easy and efficent to get to Lakeview on the Brown Line, but if the OP is looking for excitement Lakeview East and Lincoln Square do not compare at all.

There is a lot more energy and excitement especially near the lake in Lakeview compared to Lincoln Square. I hardly ever go up there just because of the lack of energy. In addition, I am assuming that I am much older than the OP, so I am figuring the OP would probably be bored with the energy in that neighborhood even though there are bars and restaurants.

However for commute sake, I would tell the OP advice to deal with a quiter Lincoln Square for awhile while commuting to Deerfield as the level is excitement is not worth the extra commute time driving.

Driving in Chicago is rough and will take a toll. I would just live near the Brown Line as it probably the most efficient line on the CTA, and you will get to Lakeview in ten minutes or less. I am always shocked how fast it is to commute brown line neighborhoods compared to the Red Line.

If you are out past 2am you can take the red line to Lawrence and catch the 81 Lawrence bus. However, I wanted to give a realistic view on the excitement.

The only good thing sometimes it is nice to come back to quiet neighborhood after partying to wind down.
I agree and in no way was I ever saying that Lincoln Square compares to that. However, Lakeview East in excitement levels is near even with the main drags of Lincoln Square, but Lakeview East has more stuff in general. I think we can agree for commute sake that Lincoln Square is a much better idea than Lakeview East in the OP's case.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
I'd estimate a 15-20 minute savings in the thick of rush hour. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandcoming22 View Post
any idea how much time I'd save commuting to work if I lived in Lincoln Square vs Lakeview?

Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM

23 posts, read 23,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
There have been a ton of similar posts recently and even during the past several years. Clearly, there's an abundance of jobs in the north burbs and an abundance of young candidates wanting to live in the north side of the city. I think that as more of these folks choose neighborhoods such as Lincoln Square, the character of the area could evolve over time and may become an "extension" of Lakeview. Look at how Bucktown / Wicker Park have essentially become Lincoln Park "West". Any thoughts on this folks?
How would you expect the character of LS to evolve such that it will be "Lakeview North" instead of what it has become over the last 10-15 years? More Chad and Trixie bars? I really hope not, and expect that those folks will continue to mark time in other hoods for their post college years before fleeing for the suburbs. There are a number of things that could make it hard for what you are suggesting to take place, above and beyond the fact the business districts in the LS/North Center/Ravenswood are thriving and have a character of their own:

1) 47th Ward Zoning - Gene Schulter changed much of the zoning in the ward many years ago such that most non arterial streets are zoned R-3 (single family and two flat). So you won't see the condos so common in Lakeview off of the main drags in these neighborhoods, keeping density lower.

2) Strong public and private elementary schools and Welles Park serve as anchors for the North Center area just south of LS. Other CPS elementaries in the LS/Ravenswood area are on the rise, and a large popular private is building a new facility in the neighborhood. There has been strong support from Rahm and Pawar for families in the neighborhood via school expansions and park improvements. Could that change over time? I suppose- - but the zoning and resulting dominance of SFHs and 2 flats and increase in real estate values will make it far more challenging at this point than such transitions in other hoods. On top of that, many, many of the 2 flats get gutted and converted to SFHs when purchased because demand for SFHs is so high in the area.

3) Too many young transplants being told not to go "north of Irving Park", "west of Southport" etc when exploring north side neighborhoods.

Not every city neighborhood relatively close to downtown needs to cater to the transient/transplant 20 something crowd. I think sometimes people who fit this profile don't fully realize that there are other people living in these city neighborhoods with plans to stay and raise their kids long after the 20 somethings have left for Naperville, the North Shore, etc.

As a parent of 2 kids living near the LS/North Center border for the last 10 years who left Lakeview after 12 years, I have an admitted bias. But I can tell you I am not alone - this neighborhood is OVERRUN with families who plan on being here long term.

Last edited by ncls12; 06-15-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago