Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
I have never seen the words "Houston" and "vibrant" mentioned in the same sentence before. Compared to Chicago which has numerous nodes of activity that are bursting with people most of the day such as Lincoln Park, Houston's downtown area pretty much is a ghost town even with recent improvements such as Discovery Green, new sports stadiums, etc (and the other neighborhoods are nothing to write home about either). Anyways what is exactly wrong with old architecture? Many European cities such as Barcelona, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen have buildings that are over 300 years old and no one in their right mind would say that Houston is more vibrant than any of them, especially as far as pedestrian activity and vibrancy is concerned.
Nothing is wrong with old architecture thats truly arcetectural, but alot of the other old buildings are urban blight. Im not talking about downtown skyscrapers. Im talking about the old buildings you see out in some of the neighborhoods that might house a liquor store or maybe a little neighborhood grocery that has some graffiti painted on the side of the building. I would be interested in comparing the percentage buildings and houses built before 1939 in Chicago and Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM

672 posts, read 758,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think Houston is just a much more attractive looking city than Chicago. In Houston, like most large Texas cities, everything looks so brand spanking new that it sparkles, especially under a clear blue Texas sky. Houston looks and feels young and vibrant and healthy and exciting and hopeful. Kinda the way a person feels when they graduate high school, like you got your whole future ahead of you. Houston with its youthful energy and vibrancy feels like it's where the future of America is. It has the attitude that anything is possible and the sky is the limit. Chicago, on the other hand, looks and feels like a much older town than Houston. It's old and cold and gritty and grey and looks like it's been run thru the ringer. Some people find beauty in the bleakness. Maybe thats why so much blues comes out of Chicago.. For myself, I favor newness to oldness.
Unless it constantly demolishes and rebuilds, Houston's new areas will become old and run-down too. And I'd posit that in fifty years, we'll see its built environment won't age as well as Chicago's pre-war architecture.

But I'm glad you like it there. Far too car-driven and pedestrian-unfriendly for me.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 PM

605 posts, read 670,298 times
Quote:
Nothing is wrong with old architecture thats truly arcetectural, but alot of the other old buildings are urban blight. Im not talking about downtown skyscrapers. Im talking about the old buildings you see out in some of the neighborhoods that might house a liquor store or maybe a little neighborhood grocery that has some graffiti painted on the side of the building. I would be interested in comparing the percentage buildings and houses built before 1939 in Chicago and Houston.
Well what US city does not have some blight and run down neighborhoods? I can even think of a few in Houston alone such as the Fifth Ward, Third Ward, Sunnyside, Acres Homes, Gulfton, the area around Hobby Airport, etc. Actually I would even go so far as to say Houston probably has more run down areas due to the lack of zoning there than Chicago.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 PM

605 posts, read 670,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's a little hypocritical to complain about sprawl when Chicagoland is further out than Houston!

After having the horrible experience of shopping in dirty, cramped, and dated Jewel's in Aurora and Hoffman Estates, I was missing the clean, spacious, modern Kroger back in Houston. The food is much fresher and cheaper in Houston's Kroger than in Chicago's Jewel. I can understand the hype about H-E-B here in Texas, but what is all the hype about Jewel's? Mariano's is a joke as in Whole Foods-lite by Roundy's/Kroger. I went to the former Dominick's in Aurora and was stunned that the deli sandwiches were $10.95. Randalls would have sold a similar sandwich for $6.95 and I thought that was expensive!

I was impressed with the State Street Macy's and the stunning Loop and Near Northside skyline, but the absurd 10% tourist tax was abusive. I ended up looking at the malls in the suburbs after relatives in the city confessed that they don't shop there and realized that Woodfield was so popular for being the closest indoor suburban mall to the city and stunned that Old Orchard and Oak Brook were outdoor malls in this horrible climate.

The Art Institute was so horrible to charge $1 per item for the coat check on top of the expensive admission in this weather. Couldn't believe I spent $33 to park in the nearby Grant Park South garage on a snowy, Sunday afternoon but that beat ruining my shoes and soaking my socks taking public transport. I also caught a cough and runny/stuffy nose from the weather and I was penalized for being sick with the 1.75% sales tax. Darn, predatory Yankee business practices!

I rented a car and couldn't afford the CTA passes and ended up going to St. John Cantius instead of visiting the Catholic and Episcopal Cathedrals. I was impressed with the Tridentine Mass offered there. The masses in Houston are lightly attended and/or poorly timed and located. I wish Houston could carry out a service as nice as the one in Chicago.
Well last time I checked the Chicagoland metro area has a little over nine million people so there is still going to be some sprawl, but when you compare it to Houston which covers an insane amount of land compared to it's population of around six million than it's no contest as far as to which city is the worst offender in this regard. Besides even many Chicago suburbs such as Naperville, Oak Park, or Evanston are still very walkable with historic pedestrian friendly downtown areas that also have "L" or commuter rail access while as far as to my knowledge Houston has no such equivalent (the closest example I could think of would be The Woodlands and even that suburb is not exactly livable without a car). Heck, there are even many areas within the city of Houston that lack public sidewalks.

Anyways I am not sure why you are complaining about the cost of train tickets to use the CTA as the one way fare is only a dollar more than the cost to use Houston's light rail system.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:08 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrtown View Post
uh, houston is not in east texas. It's on the gulf coast.

Your kiddin' right? Houston is a coast city? Do you know its history? It purposely ended up with a downtown core 50-miles from the coast? Why, because of the hurricane that destroyed Galveston. Galveston was the booming city till then. You have to be facetious???

East texas is more of the heavily forested area northeast of houston. Tyler-lufkin-nacogdoches is the anchor of population in that region.

I don't question northeast texas more forested. But houston is southeast texas. It's a big state you know.

East houston is analogous to the heavy industry of gary and the indiana suburbs (and the neighboring chicago southside). I was surprised to see the citgo refinery so close to the western suburbs though.

OMG, You do know there are refineries all around the Nation in metropolitan areas? BF has a big presence in Chicagoland also. I'm not that familiar with this area to comment more on it. But I live 2 1/2 hours from Philly. They have refineries in the city that visitors see driving from its airport to its downtown.

I made my first winter visit to chicago around thanksgiving. I ended up sampling how horrible chicago is during the winter. I kept relishing memories of my summer visits the whole time. The kicker was the traffic computer wrapped in a picture of the naperville quarry on a summer afternoon along chicago ave near downtown naperville. It made my day and depressed me a little bit at the same time. I hated having to put on gloves, scarf, toque, and earmuffs just to fetch forgotten items back in my car. Going home, when the plane landed at bush, i was relieved to see (sadly, brown) grass again instead of the snow covered chicago that i left a couple hours earlier.

I FEEL FOR YOU.... REALLY I DO. @$#%#@@ -- composure again. Well I hate winter too and snow. But I ABHOR lack of green turned to brown. and bare trees too. Houston is NO MIAMI LA OF PHOENIX either in green all year. Far from TROPICAL year round in most of Houston. Because it takes making it look more Tropical as a CITY-WIDE EFFORT. Start with your Core too.

*** Heck, downtown Chicago looks MORE TROPICAL then Houston IN SUMMER. ----> I'M TOTALLY SERIOUS. The Grand manicured Parks of its downtown core and HOW THE CITY PLANTS LUSH GREEN FOILAGE ALL AROUND DOWNTOWN. Whether in the Loop or OMG The LUSH GREENS AND TROPICAL-LIKE FLOWERS IN SUMMER along Michigan Ave.... JUST AWESOME.

The FAKE Houston Aquarium DOES LOOK TROPICAL AWESOME with Palm trees, greens and flowers. IT MAKES ME REALIZE ----> Houston could look more Tropical like this. Especially, REDO Downtown IN TROPICAL too. Away from the Aquarium Restaurant (fake museum with merely some salt-water tanks to eat around). HIDE THEM HUGE PARKING GARAGES .... Pleeaase WITH PALMS AND TROPICAL LUSHNESS

It's a little hypocritical to complain about sprawl when chicagoland is further out than houston!

Again, your kidding right? You do remember that CHICAGO had ONE-SIDE to Grow from its core along Lake Michigan don't you? Can you imagine IF HOUSTON HAD ONLY ONE DIRECTION TO GROW?? INSTEAD OF 360° OUTWARD FROM ITS CORE? Fa'geta'bout'it

After having the horrible experience of shopping in dirty, cramped, and dated jewel's in aurora and hoffman estates, i was missing the clean, spacious, modern kroger back in houston. The food is much fresher and cheaper in houston's kroger than in chicago's jewel. I can understand the hype about h-e-b here in texas, but what is all the hype about jewel's? Mariano's is a joke as in whole foods-lite by roundy's/kroger. I went to the former dominick's in aurora and was stunned that the deli sandwiches were $10.95. Randalls would have sold a similar sandwich for $6.95 and i thought that was expensive!

Really, NOT going to comment on a supermarket LOL to compare cities. Or a sandwich's price.....

I was impressed with the state street macy's and the stunning loop and near northside skyline, but the absurd 10% tourist tax was abusive.

No argument about the BOLDED for sure... �� No one Luvs taxes. Chicago added a shopping bag tax too. My state added a 9-cent gas tax on Jan 1 LOL. Live in Philly. They added a sugared soda tax this year. LOL

I ended up looking at the malls in the suburbs after relatives in the city confessed that they don't shop there and realized that woodfield was so popular for being the closest indoor suburban mall to the city and stunned that old orchard and oak brook were outdoor malls in this horrible climate.

Apparently you are in denial? MALLS ARE DYING BY HOUSTON TOO? With virtually all new shopping. A OUTDOOR Strip-mall or divided department store concept? You still drive to other department stores in the sight. I'm stunned, but glad that Old Orchard and Oak Brook .... ARE STILL GOING STRONG? Near where I lived in the 80s. They were built in the early 70s probably? So SORRY they were outdoor malls in this horrible climate ---> winters LOL the VAST majority of the western world lives with and you froze-your-tush-off.

The art institute was so horrible to charge $1 per item for the coat check on top of the expensive admission in this weather.

THIS FROM A TEXAN who might boast lower taxes to no-tax????? Unless the state of Texas supports the cost of its Museums? Or some city Tax? Texan and Houston Museums. MUST USE ENTRANCE FEES TO OTHERS. TO SUPPORT THEM ALSO? (some have some endowments left from PHILANTHROPIST who willed their Art collections too).

Next time check THE ONE DAY A WEEK ADMISSIONS ARE FREE TO CHICGO MUSEUMS. But you might find more lines too?

If taxes don't support the museums? ADMISSIONS MUST + Incidentals LOL. First cost cutting measures in cuts to go????? ARE supporting things like Museums. You want FREE MUSEUMS. YOU NEED TO GO TO DC. Then your Federal Taxes pay for ALL NATIONAL MUSEUMS. I can't imagine Texas finances Museums or city of Houston? So ..... do you ever go to Houston Museums?

Couldn't believe i spent $33 to park in the nearby grant park south garage on a snowy, sunday afternoon

OMG, +@%$$#% Sorry, I can't take this..... OK, composure. You could have did a Park n Ride From the Northwest side. Cumberland station. Took the BLUE LINE L to the Loop. It is a subway downtown. Then it is like 3-blocks from the station to the Art Institute. But NEVER DO NYC THEN SND DRIVE INTO MANHATTAN AND TRY TO PARK... OMG You would DIE at cost there.

but that beat ruining my shoes and soaking my socks taking public transport.

OMG, I feel for you. +@%$$#% Sorry, I need to get my composure. OK, you need a nice pair of boots.

I also caught a cough and runny/stuffy nose from the weather and i was penalized for being sick with the 1.75% sales tax.

I can't.... I just can't take this, ROTF darn taxes make my nose runny too.

Darn, predatory yankee business practices!

Predatory YANKEE business practices?? (do they still use the term Yankee?) I don't think the Brits still do? But the IRONY is.... to them then of Yankee? refers to Texans too...ROTF

I think Houstonians pay for Parking garages downtown too? If your Taxes don't pay for it? You do as you use it. LOL. It is the Non-Liberal American Way. That means Texans too.

I rented a car and couldn't afford the cta passes and ended up going to st. John cantius instead of visiting the catholic and episcopal cathedrals. I was impressed with the tridentine mass offered there. The masses in houston are lightly attended and/or poorly timed and located. I wish houston could carry out a service as nice as the one in chicago.

Pleeeese, ?? You couldn't afford a CTA what?? Daily/3-day or weekly pass? Ok, Gotta be me, that needs Confession here? Though I wasn't raised Catholic. But I respect Churches so will behave here.
1-Day CTA Pass for $10
◦3-Day CTA Pass for $20
◦7-Day CTA Pass for $28
◦7-Day CTA/Pace Pass* for $33
◦30-Day CTA/Pace Pass* for $100

OK... You avoided Caps. So I made up for it. I enjoyed the ride.
Yes, Chicago shines best in late spring through fall.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 AM

1,022 posts, read 775,510 times
Does not help the population either when we now have people from the Lincoln park, lakeview areas on the news each night talking about how they are moving out of the city now as crime has even reached those parts of the city. Same in Bucktown and Wicker park. Hell people cannot even drive into the city now as expressways have to be keep being closed down due to shootings on them.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:35 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
I think Houston is just a much more attractive looking city than Chicago. In Houston, like most large Texas cities, everything looks so brand spanking new that it sparkles, especially under a clear blue Texas sky. Houston looks and feels young and vibrant and healthy and exciting and hopeful. Kinda the way a person feels when they graduate high school, like you got your whole future ahead of you. Houston with its youthful energy and vibrancy feels like it's where the future of America is. It has the attitude that anything is possible and the sky is the limit. Chicago, on the other hand, looks and feels like a much older town than Houston. It's old and cold and gritty and grey and looks like it's been run thru the ringer. Some people find beauty in the bleakness. Maybe thats why so much blues comes out of Chicago.. For myself, I favor newness to oldness.
Houston vibrant? It's about as vibrant as Schaumburg, IL.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Houston parking garages charge and they are not cheap though I think they are less than Chicago's downtown parking. The other problem with the Houston downtown parking is that because downtown is not very pedestrian friendly, you need to find a garage closer to where you want to go. They are adding bike trails and Downtown is a bit more walkable than other parts of Houston. The Houston Tram is a joke - it is street level and like a toy train more than anything else. My grandson is autistic and he and his dad ride it just because, but not for getting to a destination though I am sure there are some people who do use it to get to work from the parking lot.

Due to the weather, there are not a lot of people walking around downtown even in pedestrian friendly parts. People tend to use the tunnels and I doubt if tourists would even know about them. Also, the tunnels are only open during business hours, so no night life happens in downtown Houston. There are some nightlife districts, but they are not in downtown.

https://www.downtownhouston.org/dist...ntown-tunnels/

Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 AM

29,542 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Well last time I checked the Chicagoland metro area has a little over nine million people so there is still going to be some sprawl, but when you compare it to Houston which covers an insane amount of land compared to it's population of around six million than it's no contest as far as to which city is the worst offender in this regard. Besides even many Chicago suburbs such as Naperville, Oak Park, or Evanston are still very walkable with historic pedestrian friendly downtown areas that also have "L" or commuter rail access while as far as to my knowledge Houston has no such equivalent (the closest example I could think of would be The Woodlands and even that suburb is not exactly livable without a car). Heck, there are even many areas within the city of Houston that lack public sidewalks.

Anyways I am not sure why you are complaining about the cost of train tickets to use the CTA as the one way fare is only a dollar more than the cost to use Houston's light rail system.

Neither Houston or Chicago make the top 10 list of greatest sprawl

LA (metro) is easily more dense than both

The U.S. Cities That Sprawled the Most (and Least) Between 2000 and 2010 - CityLab

Chicago suburbs are very much sprawling

The Evolving Urban Form: Chicago | Newgeography.com

Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Neither Houston or Chicago make the top 10 list of greatest sprawl

LA (metro) is easily more dense than both

The U.S. Cities That Sprawled the Most (and Least) Between 2000 and 2010 - CityLab

Chicago suburbs are very much sprawling

The Evolving Urban Form: Chicago | Newgeography.com
I'm not really a fan of those most/least dense rankings. Cook Co., which is more than half the metro area, is fairly dense (by US standards). Can we really compare Eugene, OR or Madison, WI to Chicago, DC, Philly, etc.? They're totally different places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago