Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times

Advertisements

^

More like cannot do their job without breaking the law. In all seriousness, not all cops are bad, but it only takes one bad one to destroy the public perception of the CPD...not that they had the best perception prior to the release of the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Since that police shooting video the popo just don't want to do their jobs anymore.
As I said above, there is a school of thought which blames most crime on police racism. So if that theory is true, then this ACLU agreement should lead to a reduction in crime, because there will be fewer police encounters and thus fewer arrests. The sooner crime goes down, the better IMHO! So far it doesn't look good but I guess we will see.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:14 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
I'm not a conspiracy theorist or particularly knowledgable about the internicene workings of law enforcement, but from what I've read it's hard not to conclude that the police simply stopping people far less has likely led to more criminals left on the streets;thus more crime.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:17 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
As I said above, there is a school of thought which blames most crime on police racism. So if that theory is true, then this ACLU agreement should lead to a reduction in crime, because there will be fewer police encounters and thus fewer arrests. The sooner crime goes down, the better IMHO! So far it doesn't look good but I guess we will see.
I have never heard an idea as absurd as this one.

Police racism has led to a surge of shootings? Please explain.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I have never heard an idea as absurd as this one.

Police racism has led to a surge of shootings? Please explain.
I'm the wrong guy to ask. I was just citing what seems to be a popular theory these days.

I mean, personally, I think the shootings are caused by a bunch of ignorant morons who have no sense of morals and can't control their temper. I think the police need to be more aggressive, and given the tools to do so. I'd put police on bicycles and on foot in high crime neighborhoods and have them stop anybody where there was proper cause for suspicion.

Maybe one of the liberals who ascribes to the theory I cited can chime in here and explain why reducing police stops will reduce crime. I'll be glad to be proven wrong.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:20 AM

316 posts, read 654,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'm the wrong guy to ask. I was just citing what seems to be a popular theory these days.

I mean, personally, I think the shootings are caused by a bunch of ignorant morons who have no sense of morals and can't control their temper. I think the police need to be more aggressive, and given the tools to do so. I'd put police on bicycles and on foot in high crime neighborhoods and have them stop anybody where there was proper cause for suspicion.

Maybe one of the liberals who ascribes to the theory I cited can chime in here and explain why reducing police stops will reduce crime. I'll be glad to be proven wrong.

They will figure out some nonsense. Anyone with common sense knows that without the presence of the police, crime spikes. Do remember how the civilians were rioting against the cops in Baltimore and once the cops stopped patrolling their blocks for obvious reasons, crime spiked like hell? Then there were complaints from the civilians that the neighborhoods were not being patrolled. So at first it was like, we do not need you and then OK please come back and whoop some ass now because we are scared.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:28 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
The CPD needs a battery acid enema. Their reaction to being told they can't simply shoot people without cause is to throw the equivalent of a hissy fit. The F.O.P. protects wrongdoers regardless of offense, and is worse than the Chicago Teachers Union. What a bunch of babies. Do your ****ing jobs.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The CPD needs a battery acid enema. Their reaction to being told they can't simply shoot people without cause is to throw the equivalent of a hissy fit. The F.O.P. protects wrongdoers regardless of offense, and is worse than the Chicago Teachers Union. What a bunch of babies. Do your ****ing jobs.
The agreement with the ACLU that we're talking about here has nothing to do with excessive force. It has to do with the stops authorized by the Supreme Court in Terry v. Ohio.

The ACLU agreement has had the effect of limiting those stops. That might not be an issue in the western suburbs but it becomes a major problem in high-crime urban areas. Officers need to make those investigatory stops, and often.

I also think the notion that CPD officers are simply shooting people with impunity, versus the McDonald case being an isolated incident, is ridiculous. Unjustified shootings should be dealt with harshly, and there are legal mechanisms to do so, but I hardly think these types of shootings the norm in the police department.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Agreed. It's so glaringly obvious that this is exactly what is happening. My question is, why hasn't this been addressed by the FBI or federal govt or whoever it is that keeps police departments in check? Normally when we and the rest of society don't feel like doing our jobs or do it half-assed because customers pissed us off and we can't retaliate and treat them like crap, there's consequences and punishment. Even if there are policy changes or new procedures are put in place resulting in more paper work for us, we still have to do our jobs and do them correctly. I wish I had the luxury of throwing tantrums when things don't go my way at work.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Agreed. It's so glaringly obvious that this is exactly what is happening. My question is, why hasn't this been addressed by the FBI or federal govt or whoever it is that keeps police departments in check? Normally when we and the rest of society don't feel like doing our jobs or do it half-assed because customers pissed us off and we can't retaliate and treat them like crap, there's consequences and punishment. Even if there are policy changes or new procedures are put in place resulting in more paper work for us, we still have to do our jobs and do them correctly. I wish I had the luxury of throwing tantrums when things don't go my way at work.
And we have a lot of people on the south and west side who shoot people when things don't go their way. Therein lies the problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago