Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Completely disagree. I've never had one renter say to me "I love that this apartment is so far from the L". Also those renters which I believe you're describing (i.e. hipsters) are rarely the demographic that has the money to afford $500k condos.
So you kind of answered your own question.

Some of the poor type want to live close to the L.

And some of the rich type don't need to live close to the L, prefer Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 12:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I don't believe the demographic moving into that area will particularly care much about the L being in close proximity. They actually want the opposite, but also would like to live inside the city. Uber is what they use when not working from home
I know a lot of people work from home, but it's far from the majority. There's also considerable risk being a remote employee. IME, they're always the first cut and are typically last in line for raises, promotions, etc. There is still tremendous value in actually visiting a physical office space. Plus it's always better to be near the L. There are more retail and entertainment options clustered around public transit.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:53 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post

Dropping 500k isn't exactly what I'd call rich. Upper middle class, yes. The types of people dropping 500k on condos are not likely affluent enough to responsibly take an uber to and from the office M-F.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,996 times
Quote:
This is a contradiction.

You can't say it's too expensive, and then wonder how long until it gentrifies.

If it is expensive, than that is gentrification.

If it were cheap, then you can let it gentrify.

Anyways, it's safe for White people to live in that area.

I'm White and Chinese, and therefore look Mexican. I have to worry about random drive-by shootings when I'm walking around South side Mexican neighborhoods (Little Village, Brighton Park / 9th district) in the middle of the night. And what do I to avoid that, I have glasses ready. If I see a car is driving pass, then I put glasses on.

But in Humboldt Park, drive-by shootings are Puerto Rican on Puerto Rican, and, not random (shooter and shootee personally know each other, unlike Mexican gangs). So it's a different network.
I guess you could call it safe and the question becomes then if you're definitely paying top dollar for those units.

And it's not really Humboldt Park, I think that's more West Chicago since it's so close to Grand Ave.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Quiet isn't necessarily a bad thing. The units I've seen selling for 500k at 2,000+ sq. ft., but the L is still over a mile away in some cases. I just can't believe people are paying that much at this point in time, but hey, that's a 2 bed/2 bath averaging 1,300 sq. ft. by me.
Yes, the 1500-1600 sq units are around $470-484K. Not cheap by any means. Great units though, amazing design. But as I said, just feels remote and quiet, and not quiet as in mellow neighborhoods, but rather abandonment. Lots of houses around California and Augusta that look empty.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:19 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:

Or maybe Divvy and progress on bike lanes are part of it.

There's also the bus + rail possibility.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:29 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Or maybe Divvy and progress on bike lanes are part of it.

There's also the bus + rail possibility.
There's no bus along Augusta. And to walk several blocks just to catch a bus at Division or Chicago to the El is not enticing. There's simply not enough transportation over in that pocket just southeast of humboldt park and northeast of grand. Not to mention You're far away from any highway for reverse commuters.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:41 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,778 times
Quote:
There's no bus along Augusta. And to walk several blocks just to catch a bus at Division or Chicago to the El is not enticing. There's simply not enough transportation over in that pocket just southeast of humboldt park and northeast of grand. Not to mention You're far away from any highway for reverse commuters.
Right, you take the Chicago bus to downtown, or the Red Line, not the California bus to the Blue Line.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The 52 is right there if you don't want to walk to Division. You take the 52 up to the Blue Line California stop or down to the Kedzie stop for the Green Line to get to the Loop. That's pretty minimal walking if you're commuting from California and Augusta, and in that situation, it probably makes sense to look at the bus tracker and leave your house accordingly so you don't wait at the stop too long. From a quick google search, it's a 40-50 minute door to door to most major employers in the Loop using the 52 southbound to Green Line route.

Is it better than having a direct rail line at your doorstep? No, but it is transit and the neighborhood is relatively inexpensive, so it's a trade-off.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-04-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-05-2017, 04:10 PM

I was thinking about this a bit earlier. I think it's a decent bet that except for the case of a large economic downturn, East Garfield Park will be very visibly improved a decade after the Damen and Lake Green Line station is open. That's slated to happen by 2020. Even before then, there are a few major corporate headquarters that are going to be developed in the Fulton-Randolph Market District with the jobs that'll carry with them and much more general economic activity. This will push mid and lower level employees further west along the Green Line from station to station and the closing of the large gap between the Green Line Ashland and California stops will make that go far faster.

In the long run, this is pretty good as the Fulton Market District's traditional industries are heavily space and labor dependent and working in buildings that are quite old and equipment that's often pretty antiquated. Meanwhile, there are a lot of open locations elsewhere in the city where after selling the real estate allows for massive land and equipment acquisitions to greatly increase their efficiency and to expand. There was a Chicago Tribune article on how the older meatpacking companies have dealt with it differently, but one thing is that many have moved towards relocating in the Crawford Industrial Park in the Southwest Side of Chicago and how it's often worked out quite well and many have followed together because of the benefits of co-locating with others in their industry. I'm curious about if the meatpacking district being very close to Midway confers any advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago