Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
I was in walmart on 83rd street by my house yesterday afternoon, and I saw quite a few white people in there. and that is very noticeable, because usually you won't see ANY white people in there as white people that live on the south side (like in beverly or mt greenwood) can easily just go to the walmart over on 95th in evergreen park which would be closer.
Is that the Walmart at 83rd, right by the expressway? I've been in there a few times and I think I was the only white person in the store. I felt like I was getting some looks, but more in a "what's a white person doing in here" look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The reliability of voters political affiliation is inversely proportionate to the degree of risk taking such voters are known for -- voters who prefer the low risks of reliance upon government offerings are quite loyal to the party that insists on such programs.

In contrast voters who are willing to take the iniative to open their own business tend to favor politician who value streamlining such behaviors...
This is a fancy way of saying there's a group of people happy feeding off the gov't teet, and a party whose first name begins with the letter "D" capitalizing on this politically and financially.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 PM

796 posts, read 932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Is that the Walmart at 83rd, right by the expressway? I've been in there a few times and I think I was the only white person in the store. I felt like I was getting some looks, but more in a "what's a white person doing in here" look.
I'm always surprised when I see white people in there. Just cuz it's not normal. However the Walmart over in Pullman on 111th right off the bishop Ford, you see a lot more whites and Hispanics in there.

Btw, the Walmart on 83rd sucks as it's ALWAYS so crowded with long lines. Only reason I ever go there is because it's close to me. Conversely, the target on 87th and cottage Grove is a much better experience overall.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 AM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
I don't think a Presidential library is enough to significantly impact a community. You need several factors not just one, no matter how big it is. Woodlawn is just too south and there are has to be massive infill before it gets there.

I've noticed that Bridgeport and McKinley Park has become increasingly Asian. Lots of new Asian restaurants and businesses are opening up along Archer avenue as far as California Ave. I wonder if Archer will become a street known for Asian business like Argyle or Devon. Should be interesting how it looks in 5-10 years.
The library's sizable, but the larger ongoing improvement of the neighborhood would probably have more to do with the University of Chicago and overflow from Hyde Park. Really though, the fastest road for improvement is having Metra Electric / South Shore Line run like rapid transit with a plan like this. This with the extension of the Green Line to meet the 63rd street Metra Electra stop would probably make Woodlawn a lot more attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I am very excited about the prospect of more Asians in Chicago!
You should spread fliers around Fukushima and let them know about this amazing land that doesn't shake that is near an ocean that doesn't come crashing down in massive waves. Soon, there will be greatest of Great Lakes sushi.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The library's sizable, but the larger ongoing improvement of the neighborhood would probably have more to do with the University of Chicago and overflow from Hyde Park. Really though, the fastest road for improvement is having Metra Electric / South Shore Line run like rapid transit with a plan like this. This with the extension of the Green Line to meet the 63rd street Metra Electra stop would probably make Woodlawn a lot more attractive.

You should spread fliers around Fukushima and let them know about this amazing land that doesn't shake that is near an ocean that doesn't come crashing down in massive waves. Soon, there will be greatest of Great Lakes sushi.
the green line used to run that far east until they tore it down in the early 90's.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,810 times
Quote:
the green line used to run that far east until they tore it down in the early 90's.
This, plus the demo of the Humboldt Park branch, makes me upset with the past decisions of the CTA. I understand why these things happened, but it's still frustrating in hindsight.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 PM

867 posts, read 1,373,468 times
Quote:
I'm always surprised when I see white people in there. Just cuz it's not normal. However the Walmart over in Pullman on 111th right off the bishop Ford, you see a lot more whites and Hispanics in there.

Btw, the Walmart on 83rd sucks as it's ALWAYS so crowded with long lines. Only reason I ever go there is because it's close to me. Conversely, the target on 87th and cottage Grove is a much better experience overall.
I live in West Pullman near the Marshfield plaza and I'm starting to see an uptick in whites visiting the Target there. I guess they're starting to feel more comfortable.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:58 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
I live in West Pullman near the Marshfield plaza and I'm starting to see an uptick in whites visiting the Target there. I guess they're starting to feel more comfortable.
Hey man wb! Been 13 months.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
or they're simply coming from blue island which is relatively close.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:49 AM

867 posts, read 1,373,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Hey man wb! Been 13 months.
I know! Thought I'd drop in! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago