Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 AM

1,080 posts, read 839,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Or maybe, the Whole Foods in Englewood is a lot cheaper!
When they announced the plans for the Englewood store, they discussed the fact that they may have lower prices on some things. They also said they would focus more on their store brand and on bulk dry goods, both of which tend to be relatively cheap. I haven't been there to see if they've followed through on this, but if they have, I can see that being something that would quite easily draw people from other neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 AM

255 posts, read 415,602 times
Is Tri Taylor becoming more desirable? I know it's close to EGP, but the Near West Side community area continues to see growth, and I feel that is spreading westward towards the UC and Tri Taylor.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Is Tri Taylor becoming more desirable? I know it's close to EGP, but the Near West Side community area continues to see growth, and I feel that is spreading westward towards the UC and Tri Taylor.
If the U of I system follows through and increases enrollment by 70,000 or whatever the final number is, I can see that area becoming very student-oriented. EGP is north of 290, so I don't think it'd be much of an issue for Tri Taylor/University Village/IMD/Little Italy. I think the increasing desirability of the West Loop/Fulton Market will likely continue to push the boundary west towards GP north of 290, cleaning up the area. Pilsen's transformation and increasing enrollment at UIC could make things better closer towards Douglas Park on the south side of 290.

Also interested to see where Bronzeville goes. Has anyone heard anything about those row homes were announced a while back?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,238,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For a very, very short amount of time. Pretty crazy waste of resources to build and tear like this. You'd think that the smart thing would have been to work out some kind of timeline to test if it was a good idea (since it was already built) before deciding whether or not to tear it down.
The Woodlawn 63d Street El ran east to Stony Island for many decades, not a short amount of time. The line was completed before 1900 and the shortening of service (terminating first at University, then at Cottage Grove) started in 1982, with the tracks coming down about a decade later. Those tracks had just been upgraded too btw.

The impetus for the destruction was The Woodlawn Organization, not the city nor the University of Chicago.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,142,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
If the U of I system follows through and increases enrollment by 70,000 or whatever the final number is, I can see that area becoming very student-oriented. EGP is north of 290, so I don't think it'd be much of an issue for Tri Taylor/University Village/IMD/Little Italy. I think the increasing desirability of the West Loop/Fulton Market will likely continue to push the boundary west towards GP north of 290, cleaning up the area. Pilsen's transformation and increasing enrollment at UIC could make things better closer towards Douglas Park on the south side of 290.

Also interested to see where Bronzeville goes. Has anyone heard anything about those row homes were announced a while back?
One obstacle Tri-Taylor has is the huge swaths of land east of it that are exclusively institutional (Medical District, Juvenile Court, FBI building, etc..) and have hardly any residential.

I do agree that the development from west loop and near west side will continue westward towards United Center and EGP. Pilsen development will push pass Damen towards Western. North end of Douglas Park is rough and I don't see that area changing for a long long time.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
One obstacle Tri-Taylor has is the huge swaths of land east of it that are exclusively institutional (Medical District, Juvenile Court, FBI building, etc..) and have hardly any residential.

I do agree that the development from west loop and near west side will continue westward towards United Center and EGP. Pilsen development will push pass Damen towards Western. North end of Douglas Park is rough and I don't see that area changing for a long long time.
The Medical District seems pretty intent on building over its surface lots for more facilities and thus more jobs and slightly more walkable environments. I'd think that would make some people working Medical District jobs to consider living west of the Medical District in Tri-Taylor as the areas east of the Medical District get increasingly pricey. The Gateway project is supposedly coming soon, though I haven't heard much about it recently despite it's projected 2018 opening.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 PM

255 posts, read 415,602 times
I would think that the Asians moving into Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Douglas/Bronzeville, and Canaryville are at least a bit wealthier than the groups already there, so technically this would be gentrification, just not the stereotypical wealthy whites replacing poor blacks or Hispanics.

It will be interesting to see what Bridgeport looks like down the road. The working class whites will die off, Hispanics are moving southwest, and Asians are increasingly moving in. Will hipster whites replace the working class whites? Will it gentrify in the Logan Square/West Town sense or to a much lesser extent with an Asian majority?

Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I would think that the Asians moving into Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Douglas/Bronzeville, and Canaryville are at least a bit wealthier than the groups already there, so technically this would be gentrification, just not the stereotypical wealthy whites replacing poor blacks or Hispanics.

It will be interesting to see what Bridgeport looks like down the road. The working class whites will die off, Hispanics are moving southwest, and Asians are increasingly moving in. Will hipster whites replace the working class whites? Will it gentrify in the Logan Square/West Town sense or to a much lesser extent with an Asian majority?
The very recent Asian immigrants usually start out extremely poor and ineligible for much in social welfare programs, but become solid working or middle class within a generation, so it's really the makeup of the Asian (recent or somewhat more established) that dictates if they're wealthier than other people already there.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:

As one former President once said during a campaign, "it's the economy stupid." There really isn't a job fairy out there which is going to bring in all of these hipsters and upwardly mobile Asians to fill great swaths of decaying neighborhood. I wish there was man, believe me. But as it is, people move into areas that have the best economic opportunities, because they need money to live on. And we are competing with a lot of cities in the U.S. for jobs and talent.

So Illinois, and the City, need to get their act together and move us to the next level in terms of economics. If they do that, the City will continue to improve for the better. If they don't, well... who knows what might happen?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
As one former President once said during a campaign, "it's the economy stupid." There really isn't a job fairy out there which is going to bring in all of these hipsters and upwardly mobile Asians to fill great swaths of decaying neighborhood. I wish there was man, believe me. But as it is, people move into areas that have the best economic opportunities, because they need money to live on. And we are competing with a lot of cities in the U.S. for jobs and talent.

So Illinois, and the City, need to get their act together and move us to the next level in terms of economics. If they do that, the City will continue to improve for the better. If they don't, well... who knows what might happen?
The city seems to be doing that to some degree--the state not so much. It seems more like the state is sort of hobbling the city a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago