Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 03:37 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I honestly can't comprehend how anyone who "cares about the middle class" can support people who think it is moral to tax old people out of their homes with $10k property tax bills...
In Illinois, a $10K property tax bill ain't nothin'.

I have a neighbor (wealthy but not unlimited funds) who was paying $80K. He left town. Most of my neighbors pay between $20K and $30K, which is cheaper than private school tuition (we are in the New Trier district) but is a healthy fraction of most people's retirement income, even if they are paper millionaires.

Sooner or later you run out of other people's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 08:11 AM

263 posts, read 567,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Not getting everything you want eh? You're actually getting nothing that you want, LOL!!!

I would say that's opposite of what MS thinks unions get.
At this point, I don't know if you're trolling, or if you have actually completely bought into the Madigan-Union propaganda.

Either way, the level of devotion reminds me of Tom Cruise speaking about Scientology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0

Old 05-07-2017, 08:42 AM

997 posts, read 850,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
At this point, I don't know if you're trolling, or if you have actually completely bought into the Madigan-Union propaganda.

Either way, the level of devotion reminds me of Tom Cruise speaking about Scientology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0
The quote, you took from me was actually a quote from BRU. Who was basically saying the exact opposite of what mschemist says about unions, even though they are both far right republics.
I'm no troll or buy into everything a politician (madigan, Reagan, etc.) says. I'm for labor (organized and unorganized).

Old 05-07-2017, 12:54 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
The quote, you took from me was actually a quote from BRU. Who was basically saying the exact opposite of what mschemist says about unions, even though they are both far right republics.
I'm no troll or buy into everything a politician (madigan, Reagan, etc.) says. I'm for labor (organized and unorganized).
If you are for labor in this country, I can't see how you could vote Democrat any more. I just don't, I'm sorry. They have completely sold you down the river. The sad thing is you can't even recognize it.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
If you are for labor in this country, I can't see how you could vote Democrat any more. I just don't, I'm sorry. They have completely sold you down the river. The sad thing is you can't even recognize it.
How exactly has the Democratic Party been worse for labor than republicans?

Old 05-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Your intellect does not let you see past black and white does it? I am not a Republican, nor am I saying Republicans are better for labor. What I am saying is that unions have been sold out by the party they have been so loyal to.

You should read Thomas Frank's new book "Listen, Liberal." Frank can hardly be accused of being a Republican if you look at his body of work. He explains what has happened to the Democratic Party over the last four decades, and it has not been good for organized labor.

Thomas Frank on How Democrats Went From Being the ?Party of the People? to the Party of Rich Elites

Old 05-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
To turn it around, can you tell us exactly how the Democratic party has been good for labor recently?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Your intellect does not let you see past black and white does it? I am not a Republican, nor am I saying Republicans are better for labor. What I am saying is that unions have been sold out by the party they have been so loyal to.

You should read Thomas Frank's new book "Listen, Liberal." Frank can hardly be accused of being a Republican if you look at his body of work. He explains what has happened to the Democratic Party over the last four decades, and it has not been good for organized labor.

Thomas Frank on How Democrats Went From Being the ?Party of the People? to the Party of Rich Elites
Then what are you? Your certainly not a democrat (I have voted for a very few republicans thru the years). Are you saying that labor is better off voting for republicans? The DEMS Give working people some "crumbs" of the cake. If your saying (and I believe you) that the dems tell labor one thing and then vote the other way (at times) your right. Contrary to mschemist, I don't believe the dems are in bed with labor. I believe they are the lessor of two evils.
So, who should labor vote for (in your opinion)?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:37 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
To change up the conversation a bit...Puerto Rico filed for bankruptcy on May 3, 2017. This is ground breaking because:

1. States/territories are not allowed to file for bankruptcy. Only cities can file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy (like Detroit).
2. This is the largest US Bankruptcy in history. Puerto Rico's debt is $128 billion. Detroit's was $18 billion.

While I'm sure there will be a long and lengthy legal battle...and I realize Illinois has a better GDP than Puerto Rico...do you all think this is the eventual path for Illinois? I do. Given the gridlock in Springfield and the inability to change pensions without a constitutional amendment I think this is the only route and many states will look towards Puerto Rico for guidance to shed this debt.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
To change up the conversation a bit...Puerto Rico filed for bankruptcy on May 3, 2017. This is ground breaking because:

1. States/territories are not allowed to file for bankruptcy. Only cities can file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy (like Detroit).
2. This is the largest US Bankruptcy in history. Puerto Rico's debt is $128 billion. Detroit's was $18 billion.

While I'm sure there will be a long and lengthy legal battle...and I realize Illinois has a better GDP than Puerto Rico...do you all think this is the eventual path for Illinois? I do. Given the gridlock in Springfield and the inability to change pensions without a constitutional amendment I think this is the only route and many states will look towards Puerto Rico for guidance to shed this debt.

I believe that that's what RUINER wants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago