Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,978 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a great city and if the housing is more affordable good for the residents. It's great a young person or whoever can live in a beautiful urban neighborhood for a reasonable price, not NYC or San Fran prices.

As far as the posts slamming Chicago concerning crime. Crime is more neighborhood based, no matter where you go. There is plenty of crime in the booming south and west. Most of the decent neighborhoods in Chicago are safe as long as you use common sense, like anywhere.

People believe what they want to believe no matter how you present the facts. They hate Chicago and get some sick joy tearing the place down. In my view it's one of the greatest cities in America, second only to New York and many times better than all sun belt cities by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Chicago is a great city and if the housing is more affordable good for the residents. It's great a young person or whoever can live in a beautiful urban neighborhood for a reasonable price, not NYC or San Fran prices.

As far as the posts slamming Chicago concerning crime. Crime is more neighborhood based, no matter where you go. There is plenty of crime in the booming south and west. Most of the decent neighborhoods in Chicago are safe as long as you use common sense, like anywhere.

People believe what they want to believe no matter how you present the facts. They hate Chicago and get some sick joy tearing the place down. In my view it's one of the greatest cities in America, second only to New York and many times better than all sun belt cities by far.
Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:01 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
It's not crime. There's also a lot of affordable housing in the burbs where there's little to no crime. It's one of the reasons we moved back. In addition to loving the midwest, you get a great bang for your buck here. Oh wait, maybe "bang" was a bad choice of words.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:05 PM

77 posts, read 53,965 times
When you have someone who is shot every 4 hrs. That's going to make more housing. Smart people would not move or live there.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:46 PM

147 posts, read 143,360 times
What I didn't like about Chicago was how frequently impoverished people came up and asked me for money. The amount of begging that happens in Chicago is significantly higher than the MSP area. You couldn't go out to eat or do much of anything without being approached. I did manage to make it to the grocery store a few times without being approached. Maybe people have more respect for that sort of thing or maybe because it was because the grocery stores were nowhere near the L stations?

I also didn't like how impersonal people were. It definitely seems like the Chicago population takes awhile to warm up to people. The constant rain for 2 out of the 4 days I was there was also hard to deal with. Parking and traffic were difficult to deal with as well.

I loved the rest of Chicago. All of the little nooks, alleyways, tightly squeezed buildings, architecture, restaurants, and coffee shops give the city a lot of character. The lakeshore bike path and excellent transit service were great to use as well. I could easily see myself going there again and trying out the rest of the city. Maybe if I met some good people there it would convince me to stick around a little longer.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:53 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
People have this misperception that housing value is synonymous with desirability. Wrong.

There’s more supply in Chicago than most major cities, specifically the ones with higher COL. High rises abound, seemingly very little zoning, vast neighborhoods, and competitive housing stock. It’s actually a great buyers market, and will continue to be a buyers market unless an influx of foreign money starts to inflate costs like it has on the coasts- SF, NY, Vancouver, Boston.

Lower COL is reason to celebrate, so long as housing maintains its value. I know that many neighborhoods/suburbs have yet to reach their prerecession prices, which is a bit concerning. That’s the long term question, but in the interim, it’s a great value. Incredible city

Old 12-23-2017, 07:57 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Why is it that the population keeps dropping in the city because people are leaving as crime is getting worse?
The crime situation is greatly improving in Chicago. Just check the City-data crime stats. Chicago had a crime index of 746 back in 2002. It has fallen to 425. This is a huge improvement and the crime stats show a steady downtrend.

Many other big cities have much worse crime stats than Chicago. Just look at its neighbor to the north. Milwaukee has a much higher crime index of 677.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Wisconsin.html

Indianapolis is also more dangerous than Chicago with a crime index of 615.

Here is an example of a truly dangerous city. Oakland has a crime index of 818. Even across the bay San Francisco has a higher crime index of 491 which is higher than Chicago's 425.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Old 12-23-2017, 08:39 PM

1,022 posts, read 775,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
LOL

Because he already spanked you silly, dude.
No not even close quite the opposite in fact.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:43 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
No not even close quite the opposite in fact.
Nope, you were schooled. And still don't get it. That's the bizarre part.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:44 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The crime situation is greatly improving in Chicago. Just check the City-data crime stats. Chicago had a crime index of 746 back in 2002. It has fallen to 425. This is a huge improvement and the crime stats show a steady downtrend.

Many other big cities have much worse crime stats than Chicago. Just look at its neighbor to the north. Milwaukee has a much higher crime index of 677.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Wisconsin.html

Indianapolis is also more dangerous than Chicago with a crime index of 615.

Here is an example of a truly dangerous city. Oakland has a crime index of 818. Even across the bay San Francisco has a higher crime index of 491 which is higher than Chicago's 425.

Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago