Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 06:59 PM

639 posts, read 1,072,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Nope Lakeview was one of the areas people said they were leaving. There were tons of assaults and robberies going on including several late afternoon and early evening on several streets in that area and even a lady kidnapped off the streets and a couple of shootings and people interviewed said they have never seen it like this around there before. These reports were just this last fall

And no I have better things to do than make stuff up. And why would I? I love this city and it pisses me off the reputation it has gained in recent years due to crime but I am not going to pretend this crap is not happening

And the people interviewed in Lakeview said how it is no coincidence that this stuff was happening now due to the fact that the Mayor took some of the cops from the North side and put them on the South Side too help with the crime there and leaving less police in many areas of the North side
You can scroll down to the bottom of Lake View -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com to see the trends in crime in Lakeview. You might not like even that level of crime, but note the overall crime rate has been gradually decreasing over the last several years. The vast majority of people there will never be a victim of a violent crime. The idea that crime is increasing there is simply false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM

639 posts, read 1,072,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Finance and technology are not “mainly centered elseware.” Chicago is a major financial center and there are many other major cities besides NYC and San Fran with a higher cost of living. Chicago has more finance and tech jobs than most top 10 COL cities. NYC is obviously more expensive because it is smaller in land size and like 3 times the population. Having more finance jobs doesn’t matter that much.
Chicago has more finance and tech jobs than most top 10 COL cities, but not per capita, and they tend to pay less than in California or the NYC metro area. There simply aren't that many high paying jobs here *relative to the amount of housing here* which will keep housing prices down.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:06 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Chicago has more finance and tech jobs than most top 10 COL cities, but not per capita, and they tend to pay less than in California or the NYC metro area. There simply aren't that many high paying jobs here *relative to the amount of housing here* which will keep housing prices down.
This isn’t true. I disagree. The housing affordability to jobs is among the best in the country.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:32 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Why is Chicago's real estate market so affordable??

Answer=
Today
Sunny and cold, with a high near 7. Wind chill values as low as -19. West wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -21. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Wednesday
Sunny and cold, with a high near 8. Wind chill values as low as -18. West northwest wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night
Increasing clouds, with a low around 2. Wind chill values as low as -6. North northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Thursday
A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 16. South wind around 5 mph.

Thursday Night
A 30 percent chance of snow before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.

Friday
A 20 percent chance of snow after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 16.

Friday Night
A chance of snow before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.

Saturday
A slight chance of snow after noon. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 10.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1.

Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 11.

Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1.

New Year's Day
Mostly sunny, with a high near 12.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:37 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
The weather this time of year is invigorating. We got a beautiful white coat of snow for Christmas. -5 this morning and I just stepped outside with the dogs. Didn't seem that cold to me, in fact it was refreshing.

I'll take the occasional cold over the 100+ temps/humidity in the Summer any day.

On my way to the gym wearing shorts. Granted, I'm probably the only moron you'll see doing that in below zero temps.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-26-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 AM

1,022 posts, read 775,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
The weather this time of year is invigorating. We got a beautiful white coat of snow for Christmas. -5 this morning and I just stepped outside with the dogs. Didn't seem that cold to me, in fact it was refreshing.

I'll take the occasional cold over the 100+ temps/humidity in the Summer any day.
Agreed!!!

Old 12-26-2017, 09:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
The entire northern sector of the US is experiencing a cold wave right now. It's going to be around 5 degrees in Boston for at least several night this week. Typically, Chicago is slightly colder than Boston, but the weather does not explain the lower housing costs..

95 degree-temps in the summer are worse, to put it mildly..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:12 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
95 degree-temps in the summer are worse, to put it mildly..
Florida ranks #4 in population gain, while Illinois is one of only 3 states losing population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate

While climate doesn't play a factor(felt like complaining,), the political mess most certainly does affect the real estate market.
When we factor in birth rates, it is amazing to see Illinois as 1 of only 3 states losing population in this country.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Florida ranks #4 in population gain, while Illinois is one of only 3 states losing population.

While climate doesn't play a factor(felt like complaining,), the political mess most certainly does affect the real estate market.
When we factor in birth rates, it is amazing to see Illinois as 1 of only 3 states losing population in this country.
I was just in FL for Christmas. While it's nice to visit, I wouldn't want to live there. Glad you're happy though! Keep on surfin', and watching the Chicago weather reports apparently.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

Wikipedia? Really? https://www.census.gov/library/visua...html?cid=idaho

Six are actually losing population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago