Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
So all of these people who actually live in those areas who always felt safe until now are all wrong? So they held meetings in those areas this year to talk about crime suddenly being an issue and this is all in their heads? Every one of them is wrong?
Basically, yes. The statistics speak for themselves. Anecdotes and opinions is all that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

222 posts, read 194,699 times
Maybe it's just an illusion nieghborhoods that were working class blue collar thirty years ago like Lincoln square are now more affluent with more families and babies so when crime happens there are more complaints and shock from people who are not use to living in an urban enviorment and people complain that the media does not portray violence on north side do they are reporting more on north side. End of run on sentence.

504 posts, read 496,717 times
Quote:
Stop hiding and answer my question?
You are an idiot.

Your question: “then how come I see people in neighborhood X on the news say that it is more dangerous than ever” - is meaningless in terms of reality. Perceptions may be changing (incorrectly so in this case) for a variety of reasons, but Chicago is definitely safer than it has been since pre1960s based on crime statistics (source: Heyjackass). Specific neighborhoods are worse than before, but not any that have high real estate valuations..

I’m not sure why people jump onto these Chicago forums from various parts of the US to talk down on the city without any factual basis. Chicago real estate is a great purchase... the cap rates are relatively amazing versus any other major city and I love the architectural style.

My brother is in Seattle where the home construction is trash (style, build quality), and the cap rates are bad.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
Maybe it's just an illusion nieghborhoods that were working class blue collar thirty years ago like Lincoln square are now more affluent with more families and babies so when crime happens there are more complaints and shock from people who are not use to living in an urban enviorment and people complain that the media dies not portray violence on north side do they are reporting more on north side. End of run on sentence.
Bingo, you win the contest!

Old 12-22-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
You are an idiot.

Your question: “then how come I see people in neighborhood X on the news say that it is more dangerous than ever” - is meaningless in terms of reality. Perceptions may be changing (incorrectly so in this case) for a variety of reasons, but Chicago is definitely safer than it has been since pre1960s based on crime statistics (source: Heyjackass). Specific neighborhoods are worse than before, but not any that have high real estate valuations..

I’m not sure why people jump onto these Chicago forums from various parts of the US to talk down on the city without any factual basis. Chicago real estate is a great purchase... the cap rates are relatively amazing versus any other major city and I love the architectural style.

My brother is in Seattle where the home construction is trash (style, build quality), and the cap rates are bad.
Yup

Old 12-22-2017, 12:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
You are an idiot.

Your an idiot who does not have the guts to answer a very simple question. All these people and all of the people reporting this are all wrong lol good luck with that kid

Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Your an idiot who does not have the guts to answer a very simple question. All these people and all of the people reporting this are all wrong lol good luck with that kid
Lol, you continue to show your complete lack of understanding basic statistics and history.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lol, you continue to show your complete lack of understanding basic statistics and history.
You still have not addressed anything I have said

Old 12-22-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You still have not addressed anything I have said
I've addressed it repeatedly. You don't understand statistics.

Anecdotes are all you keep stating.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You continue to not answer me. Why did these neighborhoods have too hold special meetings to discuss how crime has become worse? Why did they blame the mayor for it when he took cops out of these areas and sent them to the south side? None of that would have happened if people did not see that crime was suddenly an issue in those areas of the city. Why are they saying they are leaving after living there so long as for the first time it is not safe??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago