Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

To clear one thing up for the OP, there have not been a record number of shootings in Chicago recently. In fact, recent numbers are relatively average and far below record highs.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:22 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
"Am i crazy for wanting to move to Chicago when all i hear is record amounts of shootings ???"
Sadly you are indeed crazy. Chicago's violence is off the charts; nothing in Paris, Tokyo, or Buenos Aires could compare.
Plain and simple, Chicago is an American city.
Thus you would be moving to a place with endless amounts of guns and endless shootings because of them. Keep in mind that this is a nation where a mass shooting, high in the two digits of faceless victims, gets reported on the second page of the news, is treated with the perfunctory "thoughts and prayers" and is forgotten about by the time the next news cycle begins (spoiler alert: that would be two hours from now). Point being, Chicago and America are awash in blood. And apathy. Without any element of community and the commons that word comes from. You'd be shocked at how much crime can be generated in a nation with one of the highest rates of income inequality in the world. Chicago's violence is an export from another US city, NRAshington, DC. The US is the type of nation where nobody sleeps well for fear of being shot to death in their sleep in places like Mayberry.
My suggestion: consider either Windsor or Tijuana. Preferably Windsor. At least it has a river for protection.
Tijuana has a river as well. But the level of violence in Tijuana is FAR above that in Chicago:
https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-...314-story.html

Ed, there have always been a large number of guns in America. Yet, 7 deaths and 41 shootings this weekend in Chicago. Why didn't the same thing happen in Denver, where (legal) gun ownership is probably higher?

Old 09-04-2019, 02:44 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Chicago South Sider, and even though the "south side of Chicago" does get a bad reputation at times, WE KNOW there are great and safe areas, to match! You would know better than I, but I always feel safe. Reflecting on my visits in 2019, I've been to Pilsen, Heart of Chicago, Canaryville and Armour Square. Certainly Lincoln Square on the Northside is a favorite neighborhood. I love Chicago, ANY side!!!! Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee
I was just kidding, man. I've been to every neighborhood in Chicago and rarely, if ever, feel unsafe.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:27 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Chicago South Sider, I'm with you on that! Have a great day! P.S. Are you born and raised south side? I rarely go further south than, say 35th, but that's only because I have a long enough drive as is. Like I said, I did check out Canaryville. I also took a Red line to the end and back. And I visited Al Capone's home. South side goes a long way! Peace! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-04-2019, 04:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Chicago South Sider, I'm with you on that! Have a great day! P.S. Are you born and raised south side? I rarely go further south than, say 35th, but that's only because I have a long enough drive as is. Like I said, I did check out Canaryville. I also took a Red line to the end and back. And I visited Al Capone's home. South side goes a long way! Peace! Master Jay in Milwaukee
The only way you'll catch me south of 35th when I visit Chicago is to be at the museums on Lakeshore Drive. Other than that it's 35th only because of the ballpark.

When I come to the city it's to enjoy myself, not to play Russian Roulette with being held up. I'm not a city person and I'm sure that I lack some of the street smarts, so why take the chance.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:05 PM

jmgg, I'm just about to start my Tae Kwon do class. I'll get back to city-data.com later tonight. Take care. I hope all is well. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-04-2019, 05:36 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:

I grew up in Calumet Heights in the Pill Hill area. I attended grammar school and high school in Hyde Park.The south side is pretty big, probably twice as big as the north side in terms of land area.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:16 PM

Chicago South Sider, thank you for sharing. I'm not very familiar with Hyde Park, although I hear it's a very nice University neighborhood. Several years ago I went with my Croatian grandfather to a beautiful Croatian monastery, which I believe is on the outskirts of Hyde Park. I am not familiar with Pill Hill, but I recall reading about it a bit in my studies. I agree the south side is huge. Maybe one day I'll do the long Western Avenue drive, and take in the south side Irish parade. Have a great night! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-04-2019, 07:26 PM

jmgg, I appreciate your input. You are right that the museums on Lake Shore Drive are great. The park to the north, and one of the streets across from the White Sox field, Princeton Avenue, is a very near and dear part of town to my family. There's a Croatian church, St. Jerome, that allows us to walk in their parade every August 15th. I am also a visitor just as yourself, yet I can assure you there are areas on the south side south of 35th Street that are quite safe. In fact, the Sun Times printed an article and Mt. Greenwood on the southwest side was listed as a top 5 neighborhood. And there certainly are more! As far as street smarts, I teach martial arts. My advice is one should always be confident and ready. No matter WHERE one goes. It doesn't mean to be anxious and afraid. Rather, to be confident! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,944 times
Just wear body armor and a helmet whenever you leave the house and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago