Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 05:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

I'm guilty.

Of being a "broken record"...if anyone knows what that means since few ever have seen a piece of vinyl spinning on a turntable. Of carrying on ad nauseam, a term Caesar might of used and maybe he was one of my contemporaries, on the same subject over and over (and over) again. Of basically cutting and pasting and adding a new adjective here and a new adverb there to write the exact same thing I wrote yesterday. To repeat the manta: Chicago murders are American murders. Full stop. Period. I go on an on. And guess what:

I don't give Mod cut.about it.

I don't give Mod cut. if I get no responses here. And I don't give Mod cut. if the response rips me from limb-to-limb (which it will)

Mod cut. So let me be the first to say it:

I do not give a rat's ass about the statistics of (1) Chicago's murder rate or (2) Chicago's yearly number of murders.

I do care about those who are being shot, about those doing the shooting. But the two stat's above are meaningless. If I still remember how to do a syllogism from the days I learned logic, I'll offer:

All American cities are absolute murder capitals
Chicago is an American city
Therefore, Chicago is an absolute murder capital

Chicago is a city. Its real job is to provide water, police and fire protection, schools, and make the buses run properly on the streets it keeps up. Cities can't really change the mystical "murder rate" or the far scarier (to Chicago) murder raw numbers. A city cannot prevent the flow of guns into it. A city cannot police its way out of the systemic problems of income inequality and race and being in a city in a nation which has lost all meaning of the words "the commons". And chances are if you are white and wealthy you don't have a care in the world.

Chicago's murder rate and raw numbers of murders does not matter much to anyone who is in the type of place where they very well might be subject to said murders and their rate. Numbers have no affect on them; guns do.

Chicago's murder rate matters mainly to those who are unaffected by it personally, living for the most part in areas that are totally unaffected by it. Chicago's murder rate matters not to the people straight-bullet-line affected by it but by those who have concern about Chicago as a "thing", a life form, a fully living organism.

We want our city to look good and project well (which is really saying "sell well"). We don't give Mod cut. about who is shooting whom in some far off south or west side neighborhood we couldn't even find on a map. Far less if their color is not one of the "chosen ones" (here in America, God doesn't create a chosen people. He lets his real people, fundamentalists, pick the chosen ones (spoiler alert: if that prime chosen spot is composed to two "races", neither on comes from Africa or Latin America.Those folks don't matter. If we ask them anything, it probably is "Would the two of you (kindly) cross over the state line into Indiana and play out your shooter/shootee roles there so it won't be our problem. Do your business there"

Chicago does not have a gun problem. It has an American problem. And that one is far, far more serious than simply getting guns off a street.

We as human beings have no real "rights". None. Human beings cannot grant rights. Rights come from nature. The only right we have is to die (because we all will) which should be a comfort to the US since we apparently fully want to hasten our right to make others die.

So among the rights you do not have, there is one I will share. And that right you don't have comes only with the authority that I say so. So, yes, it is granted by someone. And that someone is me:

YOU DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ONE IOTA ABOUT CHICAGO & ITS Mod cut. MURDER RATE!!!

You lost that right the moment you became an American, the moment you first lived in the United States. Not here in the UNCHALLENGED MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. You can't treat Chicago's murder rate or raw numbers as an outlier. It isn't. The only outlier is the United States of America and it is so much an outlier it is literally "off the charts" I can prove that with the charts below (all from Vox), three graphics that give endless pieces of date without one mention of "Chicago".

Your level of cognitive dissonance is so Mod cut. off the charts that you may not have a functioning brain cell left if you complain about Chicago murders in the world's national murder capital nation.

The feelings that make you feel "unsafe" about Chicago would be the exact same feelings that would make you feel unsafe in every city from Boston to San Diego as well as from Seattle to Miami. And if by chance you do get shot and killed, I'm sorry and I send my thoughts and prayers (which i am prepared to offer daily)

You know what would drop Chicago to second place on the number of murders list: just one insane individual with a ton of semi-automatic riffles places on the roof of a 20 story building in the downtown of Pick-Any-City-You-Like who may, if he likes take out 900 people on the streets below and get a free pass from justice by making himself the 1001st.

So that's pretty much it. These are my ideas. They well...very well...may not be yours. But that doesn't matter. They are mine. And I believe every one of them.

Each and everyone of you lives in a nation that literally has lost its mind, is totally insane. I'll turn some tables here and note: Any nation that can have a city where 353 people are killed in one year is a dysfunctional sociopathic nation. That 353 is of course Chicago's 2018 total. And it makes New York and Los Angeles look bad because that is happening in their nation.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2019 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language; circumventing the language filter; discussing forum moderation.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Charts from above:

Mod cut: copyrighted images.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM

629 posts, read 543,458 times
gun related deaths are a drop in the bucket compared to just about every other type of death... I really think we should be working on eradicating mosquitoes rather than guns

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2019 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 08:12 AM

629 posts, read 543,458 times
not only do mosquitoes need to die... suicides happen TWICE as often as murders and are increasing, while murders are decreasing

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

the gun control media hysteria is just the left trying to take more of your rights away

as you can see, just like the Terrorist boogieman

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 08:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
not only do mosquitoes need to die... suicides happen TWICE as often as murders and are increasing, while murders are decreasing

the gun control media hysteria is just the left trying to take more of your rights away

as you can see, just like the Terrorist boogieman
I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Everyone said "Obama's going to take all your guns!" and Obama said, "I'm not taking all your guns." And then guess what. He didn't take all your guns, nor did he make an attempt to, but he did try to find solutions to prevent mass shootings, and was blocked by a Republican Congress from reasonable solutions. There have been people that have tried to implement stronger background checks, because what's the urgency in having a gun in only like 3 days? Might as well due a background check in whatever amount of time is necessary to verify that someone can safely handle the weapon.

I agree, mosquitoes are deadly. They are less deadly in the U.S. than Africa, but people in the U.S. take protective measures against mosquitoes with store-bought bug spray and mosquito abatement performed by thousands of municipalities in this country annually.

Bill Gates has done significant work related to malaria, and he's not the only one.https://www.gatesnotes.com/Malaria

Cardiovascular disease - there is no shortage of preventative health done to make people aware of cardiovascular disease. Also, with cardiovascular disease, in some instances it's genetic and unfortunate that people don't have a choice yet need to receive medical care, so they attempt to treat it. In other instances people make lifestyle choices that lead to cardiovascular disease and thus it's preventable. For gun violence, some people choose to involve themselves with violent and dangerous people, and thus it's their choice. In other instances, people are just going to Walmart, a bar, school or driving down the highway and not by their own choice, some idiot decides to start shooting at this. If you cannot see the difference I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, which I assume you find to be an effective strategy, so you're welcome.

There is no shortage of people attempting to make people aware of suicide prevention and mental health funding. The Trump administration is not part of that group.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-has-t...etoric-1452907

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publ...aq/index.shtml
What leads to increased risk of suicide? Among many other factors, mental health issues and guns in the home.

So yes, there are problems that impact far more people, but guess what, people are working on reducing deaths in those situations. What are our leaders doing for gun violence? Currently nothing, because McConnell won't bring a bill to the floor in the Senate.

How is it possible that some idiot can just drive down a highway guns blazing in the middle of Texas and it looks like you're saying, "well it's not as big of a problem as malaria, so we might as well do nothing about it." I'm not putting that in quotes to speak for you. I'm actually curious of your suggested solutions. Doing nothing is not a solution. There's clearly a growing problem, and all these other things you're saying are bigger issues, well there's groups of people actively trying to solve them.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:54 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
edsg25, I sense your frustration., And I feel your frustration as well. You are NOT out of order in expressing your thoughts the way you did... fusillirob1983, I agree with you that complaining is ONE thing, but actually working on a SOLUTION is a different ballgame...I recently worked for almost 10 years in the Milwaukee County Jail/Courthouse. I have now transferred for the last 2 months to Waukesha County Jail/Courthouse (the county due west of Milwaukee). So I have worked with nothing BUT criminal situations for a decade. My coworkers and I have these discussions constantly. My heart goes to children who are being "raised" without many positive opportunities. I pray for positive interventions in their lives before gangs, drugs, unprotected unsafe sex, etc. take over! Therefore, I have been working as an advocate for change with the very people involved in the criminal system (INTERVENTION METHOD) as well as teaching martial arts in the city, to try to be a positive and healthy role model for the young and teens (PREVENTION METHOD). We ALL have skills and strengths. It is up to us if we want to devote any time we have to alleviate the problem. I have never been in the military nor a police officer nor a firefighter. Yet I support and respect anyone that strives to make a change and is willing to put their own life on the risk to help others. Have there been "bad" representatives in those fields? Of course. But there have been representatives in the social work and martial arts field, which I am a part of! We have to stand by the good ones. We are ALL a part of society! Peace to you all!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
A website dedicated to 'Chicago values' with detailed murder statistics(numbers, rates, years, neighborhoods) is heyjackass. I've also been looking into living in Chicago at one point in time and I did not find it an appealing city outside of downtown. But you should be fine if you do not venture the South and West side and do not engage in illegal activities.

Also, what I did not care for was the large number of back alleys. I always imagine some kind of illegal activity like narcotics trade taking place there.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:27 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
interesting graphic..
Attached Thumbnails
Am i crazy for wanting to move to Chicago when all i hear is record amounts of shootings ???-ae260f322ade8293abe59bef70f7d088.jpeg.max800.jpg  

Old 09-06-2019, 09:46 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
interesting graphic..
No, not really. You're living in a fantasy world in which you are only allowed to purchase items in the same place in which you reside or use the item.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
interesting graphic..
What to gun laws have to do with anything? I'm not sure if you're aware of this but criminals do not follow laws. Your average law-abiding citizen is not out there shooting up the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago