Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 PM

4,888 posts, read 6,996,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
jmgg, I appreciate your input. You are right that the museums on Lake Shore Drive are great. The park to the north, and one of the streets across from the White Sox field, Princeton Avenue, is a very near and dear part of town to my family. There's a Croatian church, St. Jerome, that allows us to walk in their parade every August 15th. I am also a visitor just as yourself, yet I can assure you there are areas on the south side south of 35th Street that are quite safe. In fact, the Sun Times printed an article and Mt. Greenwood on the southwest side was listed as a top 5 neighborhood. And there certainly are more! As far as street smarts, I teach martial arts. My advice is one should always be confident and ready. No matter WHERE one goes. It doesn't mean to be anxious and afraid. Rather, to be confident! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
I am anything but this. Toughness isn't the issue. It don't matter how tough you think you are, when you have a gun stuck in your face by a chicken $hit "tough guy", your situation is out of your hands. Where I'm from this is a rare happening as most people don't resort to this form of cowardly action and have more respect for other people. It baffles me on why anyone if they have the financial ability, would ever want to exist in areas like this.

I own several guns, but no handguns. I refuse to ever carry one other than to go hunting. Living in this area of Chicago I would probably change this. Yet, if I defended myself with one in this city, as a white male I'm sure that I would be the one in trouble. If something happened to me I'd just be another statistic.

I do enjoy visiting the city on occasion, but make no mistake about it, I'm very wary of where I'm at. I feel MUCH safer in the Twin Cities, Denver, Omaha, or Kansas City (other cities that I frequent fairly often).

Old 09-04-2019, 08:00 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,340,878 times
jmgg, I hear you. And I understand you. Yes, a gun does make for an even greater and more dangerous situation. Its unfortunate that these situations do happen. I respect your decision, and support you doing whatever you need to do to feel secure. Anytime you're in the Milwaukee area, contact me and I'll still happily offer a Tae Kwon do lesson, if you would like! I hope next time you're in Chicago, you have a safe and enjoyable stay! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,605,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The only way you'll catch me south of 35th when I visit Chicago is to be at the museums on Lakeshore Drive. Other than that it's 35th only because of the ballpark.

When I come to the city it's to enjoy myself, not to play Russian Roulette with being held up. I'm not a city person and I'm sure that I lack some of the street smarts, so why take the chance.
You are definitely unfamiliar with the area. There are plenty of areas that are perfectly safe and attractive south of 35th that are not the Museum of Science and Industry.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 PM

Hiruko, thank you for sharing. I'm in agreement with you. Please feel free to share specific areas, neighborhoods, locations, etc. so that someone can research your information for themselves. Who knows? Maybe some people will step outside of their comfort zone and give it a try and see for themselves that there are enjoyable things and places south of 35tg street, besides the museums. I, myself, do not make it past 35th Street very often. Thank you, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-05-2019, 06:52 AM

4,888 posts, read 6,996,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You are definitely unfamiliar with the area. There are plenty of areas that are perfectly safe and attractive south of 35th that are not the Museum of Science and Industry.
You made a valid point, then just left it hanging there. What are some of these places you speak of and why would I find them worth visiting as a person from out of town?

Old 09-05-2019, 07:45 AM

4,082 posts, read 10,430,026 times
Yes you are crazy, don’t move here.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 AM

4,086 posts, read 3,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Yes you are crazy, don’t move here.
I'll take this as sarcasm. But if a younger professional and possibly willing to do roommates. As NYC is virtually that way anyway. Yes Chicago is awesome to gain experience of a Great Legacy city that offers sooooo much.

Few would recommend being low-skilled and education and doing a move alone. Not impossible and more then one roommate perhaps. It is not just Chicago by far ..... one would say this too.

Even our fast growing sunbelt cities have skyrocketed in cost. As in the North. cost by preferred neighborhoods is also very much part of it.

Even European cities are as this. Chic ago still offers a Huuuug bang of a urban city not yet to the extreme of a SF, NYC, even DC and LA as another kind f experience too.

Many note that the job Market foe entry educated professionals is tightest outside of good former manufacturing base jobs. But doable. Carless probably the way too.

This thread could go on forever, But simple tips and area suggestions are best over rhetoric in crime and taxes always entering. Mist WILL RENT. If that is noted. A needs to be on that.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:47 AM

jmgg, I, too, asked for Hiruko's personal recommendations on great points of interest in their experiences, south of 35th Street. We'll have to stay tuned! I'm also interested because I rarely make it down that far south. I guess I spend more of my time on the north side, although I certainly have some south side areas I highly enjoy! Take care!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-05-2019, 09:50 AM

noid_1985, I have not been to the Galewood section much this year, except for a couple of times. I am a fan. Some people are surprised when they find out that technically it is a segment of the Austin neighborhood, given the stigma of Austin's sometimes negative publicity... You have a very nice park with the little library inside, and some nice Italian neighborhoods. I bet you'd recommend your area to the OP! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 AM

4,082 posts, read 10,430,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'll take this as sarcasm.
Somewhat, threads like these aren’t really informative and there are plenty, asking basically the same thing and getting the same answers. “Just don’t move to the south and west sides”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
noid_1985, I have not been to the Galewood section much this year, except for a couple of times. I am a fan. Some people are surprised when they find out that technically it is a segment of the Austin neighborhood, given the stigma of Austin's sometimes negative publicity... You have a very nice park with the little library inside, and some nice Italian neighborhoods. I bet you'd recommend your area to the OP! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Definitely the best part of Austin and has a diverse group of people working class and professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago