Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,754 times

Advertisements

how safe is Downtown Chicago and north of the city.
I would love to move there, but all I hear is bad stuff about Chicago

Old 07-31-2020, 09:22 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
There have been an abnormal number of downtown shootings and hotel incidents due to hoodrats visiting hotels that have offered deep discounts. Plus many places are still boarded post riots.

The trains have become Mod cut. since the normal people have been utilizing them less, resulting in the mentally ill/homeless/hoodrats using them disproportionately. Tensions are at a nine year high (when I moved here).

It's been a very bad year for downtown neighborhoods. At least Bottled Blonde just closed and El Jefe likely won't reopen; no good came from those two.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 10,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtonewplace View Post
how safe is Downtown Chicago and north of the city.
I would love to move there, but all I hear is bad stuff about Chicago
Its mostly hype. All of it happens on the West and Southside. Its bad but the Northside is very safe.

Chicago is a very fun city, I love it here

Old 07-31-2020, 09:27 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
I posted this in another thread but my brother had someone attempt to carjack him in broad daylight this past week . This was in the downtown area .

Old 08-01-2020, 06:12 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
It used to be fine downtown, but with our new lawless cop hating mayor, things have deteriorated quickly. I personally would not visit or consider living in or around downtown Chicago at this point. This is coming from someone who used to defend the city and its safety.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:21 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,178,929 times
I used to be able to tell people that not all of Chicago was dangerous, that we had safe areas. I no longer tell people that because no part of this city is safe at all anymore. And it is only going to get worse.

I had a friend who used to visit here several times a year he loved it here so much, and used to think about moving here. He has not been here once this year and has no plans at all for coming as even he is scarred right now with how things are. He also is not happy at all with the mayor here for many reasons and does not understand why people in a great city like this would vote in someone like that.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:30 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,252,251 times
TBideon, I have to be honest with you. The last few times the hotel I typically utilized just north of Chicago ( I understand I need to be discreet and professional, and NOT name them) has had a different type of clientele than I had typically seen. And the behaviors of this clientele were different ( talking loud, brash and using offensive words in the presence of others). It was definitely noticeable to me..... so Ive been using a different hotel that is not far from it, but to date is better.

So I DO agree with you on changes.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:02 AM

88 posts, read 79,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
It used to be fine downtown, but with our new lawless cop hating mayor, things have deteriorated quickly. I personally would not visit or consider living in or around downtown Chicago at this point. This is coming from someone who used to defend the city and its safety.
Thank you for your service. It used to be that being patriotic, standing for the national anthem and supporting law and order were all good, righteous and proper behaviour. How did such basic tenets of good citizenship become bad, racist or somehow improper? Tearing down others to prop up one group never ends well. Live and let live and hope this current madness ends soon.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times
I totally agree with flamadiddle and Robert9. It used to be just far south and west sides. I live in Gold Coast and after the BLM riots and vandalism combined with a weak mayor that won't support the police it's gotten noticeably worse downtown and the wealthy northern hoods. I would still live here but we need strong leadership and a strong police presence.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:54 PM

4,634 posts, read 3,252,251 times
After Niles I biked Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, Portage Park, Mayfair, Albany Park, Lincoln Square and back to Niles. ALL was well.

You're safe as a kitten in these areas, considering Albany Park is the "least safest" of these. But the hoods I mentioned covers a HUGE chunk of area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago