Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 11:08 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The people on this forum kill me.

So do people considering any public education to be good, I don't care how your school ranks.
Having attended Downers Grove South, I learned nothing until private school.

That aside, nobody can dispute Illinois as being a bottom ranked state for relocation.
Addressing the thread question, when things are normal; there's a fair amount to do in chicagoland; and generally the people are decent.

Perhaps my link is not correct upon entering counties, but it states your tax rate in DuPage to be higher than Cook. Kane is higher than both, Lake being the highest in the state.
People on this forum recommending Illinois are what kill me, as the ignorance runs amok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 11:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
personone, thank you for sharing.

But what are YOUR feelings on the taxes, given that seems to be the biggest stated detractor/complaint, from C-D contributors?

And please comment on the politics/corruption, if you like?

Heck, the concern of crime, if you like???

Thank you!!
To be honest with you, and it's not to brag, but I have a very comfortable salary (and am currently single- although planning for marriage/kids one day), so the taxes/political stuff/etc. don't really directly affect me. I also don't own a home.

So I don't really feel the direct impacts of all of those things.

Although, I can definitely see how someone who owns a home, works for the city, has financial obligations, etc. may have a completely different view on living in Chicago/Chicagoland.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:37 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
I would actually just avoid negative people, like any other place, if you move to Chicago. Great summers, and not a bad winter compared to places like Denver and New York this year. If he is referring to voters choices choosing Biden over Trump or Pritzker over Rauner ( a former Rep governor who was horribly ineffective) I would take it with a grain of salt.

Chicago is a world class city with every type of neighborhood you can think of. I have lived on both coasts, and appreciate the greatness of this place.
Rauner was in effective, yes. But at least he didn't try to attract Foxcon with a big giveaway package.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:45 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
personone, thank you for getting back to me.

I can appreciate how your opinion, and those of the other contributors are ALL valid; we all are in our own situations, after all.

I am glad to hear you are doing well right now. Obviously being single without children (I suppose even without a very comfortable salary) can make certain things about life "easier." Most of your money earned can be focused on your self; you have more flexibility to get up and move elsewhere without having to consider others, for examples.

I DO love Chicagoland. Maybe my best bet, since I love to visit so much, would be to relocate from Milwaukee to just over the border, on the Wisconsin border: It would save me a bit of time consumption and wear-and-tear on the car.

OR, if I did move to Lake or Cook County, the idea would be to rent (rent a home, or an apartment).

I have some things to think about... And this is why I appreciate everyone's opinions on this forum...

Old 04-20-2021, 12:20 PM

629 posts, read 543,611 times
I wouldn't unless I was young and single, its hard to find a better place to live in the midwest in that case

Old 04-20-2021, 12:38 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
So do people considering any public education to be good, I don't care how your school ranks.
Having attended Downers Grove South, I learned nothing until private school.

That aside, nobody can dispute Illinois as being a bottom ranked state for relocation.
Addressing the thread question, when things are normal; there's a fair amount to do in chicagoland; and generally the people are decent.

Perhaps my link is not correct upon entering counties, but it states your tax rate in DuPage to be higher than Cook. Kane is higher than both, Lake being the highest in the state.
People on this forum recommending Illinois are what kill me, as the ignorance runs amok.
So people that go to public institutions for learning are not learning anything? And you are calling people ignorant because you were unable to learn anything in a public setting? My kids will go to Hinsdale Central, and I am sure will get a great education paid for by my taxes which will help them in life. I went to a public law school which helped me get a great job. I see kids going to the University of Illinois, Michigan, UCLA etc. who don't need the handholding of a private school.

I have lived in California, Massachusetts and Illinois. Chicago is a place I recommend wholeheartedly. That is not ignorance run amok, but based on life experience. Sorry.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:16 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times
Quote:

I have lived in California, Massachusetts and Illinois. Chicago is a place I recommend wholeheartedly. That is not ignorance run amok, but based on life experience. Sorry.
Real garden spots right there!

Old 04-21-2021, 09:47 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Don't listen to the naysayers. Yes we have very high taxes here. And our fair share of big city problems. If you pick the right suburb, you will be somewhat insulated from them. The suburbs are very nice.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
You obviously chose the wrong burb. In my burb, my kid's high school is ranked one of the top in the nation, and my taxes are lower than in Cook ( I am in Dupage ). The market is inflated right now? That actually means your home has appreciated because of such low inventory. Why is that a bad thing? You mentioned politics earlier. Missouri has Josh Hawley as their senator, a traitor who saluted the Capitol stormers with an upraised fist. The people on this forum kill me.
Yeah idk about Sunbiz (which is the name of the business site for Florida).. but can tell you that FL schools are horrible. I moved here from FL and there are few schools that are good. I would say that a mediocre school here is still better than what you find in most urban areas in FL. Even though the taxes are low in FL, you make up for it in homeowners, flood, possible sinkhole, and auto insurance prices. There is also no public transport and commute times are horrific. I will probably go back to FL when I retire, but the higher pay here and access to amenities in the city are worth it to me for now.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:04 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Rauner had to deal with a Democratic super-majority. I am not sure how 'effective' you can be when the legislature is so lopsided and the main disputes occur between the Machine and the far-left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago