Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,677 times

Advertisements

I’m from Springfield Missouri might be looking to move to Chicago or suburbs here in a few years and buying a house. Somewhere around like Arlington Heights, Des Plains or Naperville

What has been your personal experience been like living in or around Chicago? I’d like to hear from both sides those who have lived in Chicago all their lives and those who chose to move there.

Also for those who own homes are property taxes as bad as they say they are?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 09:25 AM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Yes the property taxes here are outrageous. I believe the property taxes here rank either #1 or #2 as a percentage of property value among major metropolitan areas. And they just keep getting worse.

The tax bill on my property has increased nearly 50% in the last 15 years while the market value may finally have gotten back to where it was that same 15 years ago thanks to the recent real estate bubble, so who knows how long that will last.

That's the amazing thing about property taxes around here -- if the value of your property goes up, so do your property taxes. If the value of your property goes down, your property taxes still go up. Then factor in a) the massive public-sector pension funding shortfall with literally no legal recourse other than default or more tax hikes, and b) union-backed teachers in many districts effectively able to vote themselves raises at will by buying off school board elections, and those taxes will only continue to rise.

In short don't buy a home and expect it to be an "investment" because the property taxes will continually erode your equity and diminish its future value potential. Buy it to live in it and any positive equity return after that will be a bonus.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:44 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Having recently visited your area, I'd stay put; unless you enjoy a horrible climate, even higher taxes, and ignorant voters.
But if you must, this link may help with your decision:
https://smartasset.com/taxes/property-taxes#6HLtdB52pF

Old 04-20-2021, 09:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
I am originally from the east coast, and I moved to Chicago about 10 years ago. There is no other place like Chicago/Chicagoland and it will always be home now. I wouldn't/couldn't move unless I absolutely had to. Amazing city, and Chicagoland has some of the nicest and most diverse (in terms of style) suburbs in the country, all well connected to the city.

If you can get used to the weather, there is no other place like it.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:51 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
personone, thank you for sharing.

But what are YOUR feelings on the taxes, given that seems to be the biggest stated detractor/complaint, from C-D contributors?

And please comment on the politics/corruption, if you like?

Heck, the concern of crime, if you like???

Thank you!!

Old 04-20-2021, 09:51 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Having recently visited your area, I'd stay put; unless you enjoy a horrible climate, even higher taxes, and ignorant voters.
But if you must, this link may help with your decision:
https://smartasset.com/taxes/property-taxes#6HLtdB52pF
I would actually just avoid negative people, like any other place, if you move to Chicago. Great summers, and not a bad winter compared to places like Denver and New York this year. If he is referring to voters choices choosing Biden over Trump or Pritzker over Rauner ( a former Rep governor who was horribly ineffective) I would take it with a grain of salt.

Chicago is a world class city with every type of neighborhood you can think of. I have lived on both coasts, and appreciate the greatness of this place.

Last edited by Justabystander; 04-20-2021 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 10:06 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I would actually just avoid negative people, like any other place, if you move to Chicago. Great summers, and not a bad winter compared to places like Denver and New York this year. If he is referring to voters choices choosing Biden over Trump or Pritzker over Rauner ( a former Rep governor who was horribly ineffective) I would take it with a grain of salt.

Chicago is a world class city with every type of neighborhood you can think of. I have lived on both coasts, and appreciate the greatness of this place.
I strongly dislike the people that turn a blind eye to the massive problems that Chicago has and think of it as some lefty utopia where nothing is wrong. Like Pritzker is Mr. Effective... please.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I strongly dislike the people that turn a blind eye to the massive problems that Chicago has and think of it as some lefty utopia where nothing is wrong. Like Pritzker is Mr. Effective... please.
Much better than Rauner with much higher performance ratings. Lefty utopia? It is a big city that has the usual big city problems with it. I strongly dislike negative people who can't see the good in a city rated #8 in world rankings, nor with the opportunities in it.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:17 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I would actually just avoid people like this if you move to Chicago. Great summers, and not a bad winter compared to places like Denver and New York this year. If he is referring to voters choices choosing Biden over Trump or Pritzker over Rauner ( a former Rep governor who was horribly ineffective) I would take it with a grain of salt.

Chicago is a world class cities with every type of neighborhood you can think of.

The OP isn't considering Chicago, but rather the burbs'; where I reside.
Out here my taxes are higher than Cook, without any city amenities.
Buying a house in this state is a risky investment, in fact; houses are a liability unless you're flipping/renting etc. Money only goes one direction when owning homes you live in, and the market is inflated right now.
So from a financial perspective, I can't recommend selling a home in Missouri; only to relocate to an even more poorly run state.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The OP isn't considering Chicago, but rather the burbs'; where I reside.
Out here my taxes are higher than Cook, without any city amenities.
Buying a house in this state is a risky investment, in fact; houses are a liability unless you're flipping/renting etc. Money only goes one direction when owning homes you live in, and the market is inflated right now.
So from a financial perspective, I can't recommend selling a home in Missouri; only to relocate to an even more poorly run state.
You obviously chose the wrong burb. In my burb, my kid's high school is ranked one of the top in the nation, and my taxes are lower than in Cook ( I am in Dupage ). The market is inflated right now? That actually means your home has appreciated because of such low inventory. Why is that a bad thing? You mentioned politics earlier. Missouri has Josh Hawley as their senator, a traitor who saluted the Capitol stormers with an upraised fist. The people on this forum kill me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago