Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 09:57 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
My favorite without a question is Hyde Park. You have a major university and a major medical center.

Plus, there are bookstores, places to eat and usually some music. It is the meeting center for the south sided.

You have the lake front, good transit to the loop and a wide open midway. Plus the folks are decidedly diverse. Yes, you can bump into Nobel laureates but If you want to meet Jesse, he was often in one of the egg splatter diners on 53rd street. By the say, 53rd street has more restaurants than I can count now.

Other folks there are literally tree huggers who gave the city hell about Jackson Park and the Obama library. The fought the Army Corps of Engineers to a standstill about the limestone steps on the Point. How could this be the inner city when there were beavers in the lagoon?

Three of my college classmates who moved to live in Chicago moved to Hyde Park. It does not have the bars it used to but is a pretty kid-friendly place.
Sounds great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 10:10 AM

4,642 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Manigault, yes, I have heard so many nice things about Hyde Park; everything you say sounds like what I've heard. And it sounds like a very nice place.

WHERE was that Kmanshouse character yesterday?!?

I ended up coming down. I met up with a Croatian lady that I met off of a Lincoln Square Neighborhood page on Face Book. She is a fan of Bourbon, so we had a couple of drinks there... And then we went to Himmel's for another. I had never been in Himmel's before. It holds some of that German heritage that I enjoy.

Lincoln Square is also very diverse, with such great people. I always have a great time there.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:23 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Manigault, yes, I have heard so many nice things about Hyde Park; everything you say sounds like what I've heard. And it sounds like a very nice place.

WHERE was that Kmanshouse character yesterday?!?

I ended up coming down. I met up with a Croatian lady that I met off of a Lincoln Square Neighborhood page on Face Book. She is a fan of Bourbon, so we had a couple of drinks there... And then we went to Himmel's for another. I had never been in Himmel's before. It holds some of that German heritage that I enjoy.

Lincoln Square is also very diverse, with such great people. I always have a great time there.
Master Jay! You playa! Are you stealing all of the Chicago women?
You scoundrel!

Old 02-20-2023, 06:41 PM

quigboto, well that's a yes AND a NO.

I've found dating Illinois women is another way TO get to learn more about your awesome diverse neighborhoods!

But in THIS case, my Croatian lady friend is platonic. She has a boyfriend, but ironically, HE too is from Wisconsin.

I have to be honest, I don't know what it is, but Illinois women are SUPERIORALY (is that even a word?) much more beautiful than those of my home State.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:35 PM

732 posts, read 485,309 times
It's all that dodging gunfire stuff, keeps em fit.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:07 PM

G in MP, ohhhhhhh your women down there are VERY fit..... And actually your men are, too. More people walk or ride bicycles (due to choosing to not have a car of their own) than up here. And your lakefront stretches many more miles than mine, and you all utilize yours much more!!!

Old 02-22-2023, 06:17 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
This character was in AZ this past weekend. Back now.

Himmels is a treasure. Food is fantastic and the vibe is totally unique. If you aren't serenaded by an 80 year old accordionist, are you really living?

Hyde Park is very nice, but quite isolated.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:42 AM

Kmanshouse, I just booked you a flight back to Arizona, and NOT because we don't like you; but rather this forecast does NOT sound good!

I need to go back to Himmels. I got there too late on Sunday. There were not a lot of people. But the bartender was great. We chatted up a couple of patrons (one was from South America, so I had the pleasure of speaking in Spanish with her, as well).

And another couple that we spoke to was included some guy that was running for office? He had dread locks, lived in Lake View with his partner. Sound familiar?

Kmanshouse, you owe me a STEIN!

Old 02-22-2023, 09:04 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
This character was in AZ this past weekend. Back now.

Himmels is a treasure. Food is fantastic and the vibe is totally unique. If you aren't serenaded by an 80 year old accordionist, are you really living?

Hyde Park is very nice, but quite isolated.
What part of AZ? I lived there for many (16) years, and my family is still out there.
I was lamenting recently that I missed Streets of New York Pizza and someone told me they have declined in quality since I last visited in 2013.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:34 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
What part of AZ? I lived there for many (16) years, and my family is still out there.
I was lamenting recently that I missed Streets of New York Pizza and someone told me they have declined in quality since I last visited in 2013.
Oro Valley, AZ (just north of Tucson)

My mom lives there.

jay, there will be no snowstorm here. Raining today, then dry for 3 days, then more rain.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecas.../chicago/60625
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago