Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 09:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Printer's Row, Wrigleyville, Gold Coast, West Loop?

This is about you, not me. Yes, I'm doing research, but just want your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 11:51 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
That's a loaded question. I don't think I can name a favorite. I have a favorite in different categories, though.

Favorite for street shopping: Andersonville
Favorite for art: Pilsen
Favorite for food: Lakeview
Favorite for everyday living: Lincoln Square/Ravenswood
Favorite for beauty: Lincoln Park
Favorite for baseball: Bridgeport

Old 02-03-2023, 11:58 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
I remember you were considering moving to Chicago....

Wrigleyville is a section of Lakeview that is choc full of bro bars and people in their 20s who still think it's fun to get as hammered as possible on Miller Lite. Fun to visit, but would never live there.

Gold Coast has a lot of old money, NYC style buildings with doormen, but not much soul. Whenever I'm walking around there, I'm admiring the beautiful architecture as I watch 75 year old multi-millionaire ladies get out of cars driven by their "drivers" carrying a random shopping bag.

West Loop is cool. It's gotten very expensive. It's also touristy on weekends.

Don't know anything about Printer's Row.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:17 PM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
I live in Lincoln Park right now and I generally like it. It’s a very nice and walkable neighborhood with great access to good bars, restaurants, and shops. I like nightlife here as it’s fun and vibrant while feeling feels fratty and ”broish” than the neighboring Lakeview/wrigleyville area. It’s also very nice being a few minutes walk to the park and the lake. Definitely the biggest shock for me though was there not being as much diversity as I’m used to. That’s not to say there’s no diversity but if you’re used to being in a very diverse area then just know that the main crowd is rich white yuppies. All in all it’s still definitely one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. I am also considering the West Loop/Fulton Market area for when I get a little older.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I remember you were considering moving to Chicago....

Wrigleyville is a section of Lakeview that is choc full of bro bars and people in their 20s who still think it's fun to get as hammered as possible on Miller Lite. Fun to visit, but would never live there.

Gold Coast has a lot of old money, NYC style buildings with doormen, but not much soul. Whenever I'm walking around there, I'm admiring the beautiful architecture as I watch 75 year old multi-millionaire ladies get out of cars driven by their "drivers" carrying a random shopping bag.

West Loop is cool. It's gotten very expensive. It's also touristy on weekends.

Don't know anything about Printer's Row.
Yep. But didn't want to make it about me necessarily. Some parameters have changed. I have to stay out west for a bit but am considering a second place in or around downtown Chicago. Again, don't want to make it about me, but budget under 500k for a 2 br, schools don't matter now. Would like to be near downtown. Walkability is important this time.

Old 02-03-2023, 03:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
Milwaukee guy here, but I recently shared a post on a Chicago group on Facebook with the same question/answer:

Edison Park
Lincoln Square
Armour Square
Heart of Chicago
Norwood Park

and then some honorable mentions:
Dunning
Montclare
Galewood

North Park
West Ridge
Forest Glen

Old 02-04-2023, 10:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Probably Lincoln Park for living. Walking distance from parts of "downtown" depending on how that's defined (i.e. Gold Coast). But still right next to the park for nature, running/walking trails, etc. More mature nightlife, Trader Joe's/Grocery options, nice local restaurants, gyms, local shops, bars, etc.

West Loop is nice for trendy bars/restaurants and nice apartments. Obviously right next to the downtown core.

Gold Coast is maybe the best compromise if you are going for strictly "downtown." It's right in the middle of the transition zone between downtown and the north side. You can easily get to the Loop/River North (which in my opinion is the Epicenter of the universally accepted "downtown"), but you are also close to Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lake View.

Other cool neighborhoods of Ravenswood and Andersonville, albeit farther from downtown. More mature adult crowd, but still lots of nice local restaurants, bars, shops.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:52 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
I like Andersonville because it's relatively "undiscovered" being so far from the Loop, yet it has polish and good eating and shopping. If money were no object I'd live in a big old house in Lakewood-Balmoral.

I wouldn't recommend Andersonville for someone looking for a pied-a-terre in a walkable neighborhood. Andersonville is walkable but it's kind of isolated. The bigger attraction is that it's a "forever neighborhood".

Old 02-04-2023, 07:35 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
No south southwest siders on here? Chicago Lawn, Elsdon, West Lawn Clearing to Midway.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:12 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
I am torn between Wicker Park (West Town, more broadly), Buena Park (Uptown), and Lincoln Park. Most likely, I would opt for a big house in Buena Park because of its location near the lake, under-the-radar status, proximity to other attractive areas, and architecturally significant homes and buildings. However, I do think that Wicker Park and Lincoln Park have a greater quantity of things that are interesting and appealing to me. I do like River North (Near North Side) and West Loop (Near West Side), however, I don't like the complete lack of neighborhood aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago