Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 07:14 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

I'll add that quite a bit has improved in terms of winter clothing technology over the last decade or two and there are much lighter, thinner materials that can keep you warm but don't have you getting all sweaty when you go indoors. Just have decent socks, shoes, hats/hoodies, undergarments and jackets etc. I've also found that the post-pandemic acceptance of face coverings means that you can get a nice covering over your face without people looking at you askance when it's cold.

Uniqlo's heattech stuff is great and not all that pricey so buy extras.

Upstate New York, interior/northern New England climate is very similar to Chicago's. I think people are thinking of usually coastal, southern New England or the Tri-State Area when they say it's milder, and Boston isn't really that much milder with maybe a few to several degrees at times colder at worse but in exchange for substantially more precipitation of rain and snow so it's more of a draw than anything.

From what you've written, it sounds like you're going to love living in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 07:37 AM

835 posts, read 456,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
In 4 more years Fulton Market will be even further along with its' perpetual transition into a world class mixed-use neighborhood. The area becomes more unrecognizable every year while being a night-life/entertainment hub. The vibrancy there is really unmatched by the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park. Maybe you should research if it's something you'd enjoy. It's the most Brooklyn-type vibe you can get in the city having fine-grained traditional urbanism of varying scale that is ultra rare in Chicago.
Fulton market has really boomed with development and has become an amazing neighborhood. I just wish there were a few more places I would get lunch without spending more than $15 lol.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:45 PM

219 posts, read 135,780 times
This last winter was one of the mildest I've ever experienced in Chicago. It seems like the are getting milder and milder. I shoveled once the entire winter and didn't even need to wear gloves any day.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:16 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,137,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
This last winter was one of the mildest I've ever experienced in Chicago. It seems like the are getting milder and milder. I shoveled once the entire winter and didn't even need to wear gloves any day.
Yes, and I for one was pretty grateful that I only had to shovel once because I was recovering from heart surgery so one could say that the weather was kind to me this year.
I think I only wore my winter coat 3 or 4 times!

Old 06-14-2023, 07:31 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Good luck Lizzy! Trying to find a way to make Chicago my second home.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:35 AM

4,654 posts, read 3,264,125 times
Gaylord_Focker, get it, brother!

Which neighborhood you have your eye on??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago