Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 AM

467 posts, read 874,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Blah blah blah. Troll elsewhere, troll.

Can we have another extremely informative post, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Excuses, excuses. You do not really want to compare the cost of upkeep of an undergorund systems with the L?

Let's face it is underfounded because the dumb local government never saw it as priority.
Have we not explained that funding for the CTA is a STATE matter??

It doesn't matter how many times you try to blame the "local" government, i.e. the city, the CTA is still a state agency, with its finances governed by the RTA which is, well, ANOTHER state agency.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I think it's a valid question. Forget about Europe -- I've lived in Caracas and Mexico City, both major Third World cities -- and both have metro systems that are so much spiffier. I don't doubt it's easy to explain why but the level of grit and dilapidation is a little striking and defies expectation when coming to Chicago from elsewhere.
This can be explained by one thing. Priorities. We could have a truly incredible modern system if we had the collective will to spend the money. As it is now, we are decades behind in investment. But at least we Chicagoans have a workable system AT ALL. Most U.S. cities don't.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Have we not explained that funding for the CTA is a STATE matter??

It doesn't matter how many times you try to blame the "local" government, i.e. the city, the CTA is still a state agency, with its finances governed by the RTA which is, well, ANOTHER state agency.
EXACTLY... Write your state legislators and ask them to fight for CTA funding/transit bills. I think many downstate (and suburban) car-driving residents and legislators aren't inclined to give more money to the "city-people" for trains.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This can be explained by one thing. Priorities. We could have a truly incredible modern system if we had the collective will to spend the money. As it is now, we are decades behind in investment. But at least we Chicagoans have a workable system AT ALL. Most U.S. cities don't.
This should be the end of the thread. After living in a couple places with no mass transit except for a very limited and sketchy bus system. In Austin, they city has been fighting for a commuter light rail for 10+ years, but all the hippies and environmentalists there keep blocking it. They finally had to settle for a system that just runs along two existing tracks and doesn't even go all the way downtown. So the CTA could be a lot worse.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They're functioning commuter trains, not first-class travel berths or rolling works of art. Whaddayawant?

You think our trains are unappealing now, you should have seen them 20 years ago when they were wall-to-wall graffiti and nobody did anything about it.
Awesome.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 15,311 times
Default Chicago Railways

I like how the Train stations look. Very authentic, but of course I have a soft spot for history. Supposedly there might be a new railway developing. "Canadian National’s purchase of the EJ&E railway has been approved by the federal government to the tune of $300 Million and that is great news for all South Loopers."

Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Can we have another extremely informative post, please?
... asks the crumb whose screen name is basically Latin for "troll."

Begone, troll.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Awesome.
You know my solution to graffiti... I hope you don't need those knees of yours.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG13 View Post
I like how the Train stations look. Very authentic, but of course I have a soft spot for history. Supposedly there might be a new railway developing. "Canadian National’s purchase of the EJ&E railway has been approved by the federal government to the tune of $300 Million and that is great news for all South Loopers."
That's not really about a new railway. Not about new commuter rail, anyway. It's about a proposed railway that would take Amtrak traffic out of the current right-of-way and send it east. That's why it's "great news for all South Loopers". Less rail traffic through that area. Not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago