Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM

9 posts, read 26,104 times

Advertisements

Passengers saw it and one kind, level-headed man reported it, and she was gone for awhile. If I had it to do over, I would have called 911 from my cell. She came back on the train, and then started following me to McDonald's every day when I got off the train. In hindsight, and from what I've learned, I wouldn't trust a conductor to do the right thing either. Certain ones instigate trouble among passengers and people know it. If you want details on which ones and what they do, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Good point. A Steger resident doing what you theoretically pointed out would have a higher chance of getting in a car accident on the way to Mokena than being assaulted on the Metra Electric line (going to downtown). Of course, if the said resident decided to exit the train somewhere like Harvey and hang ou in the streets, the outcome could be a little bit different, don't you think ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What are you talking about?

I guess "smart" south suburban women drive long distances to a different Metra line then..? How do smart women get home at night when they're in the city, left their car at home and rode to the the city on the Metra Electric train? Do smart women make sure to leave the city before nightfall so they don't have to take the train home to the suburbs at night? What if they're a commuter who doesn't get off work until night time? There are many smart south suburban commuters who ride home from work at night on the Metra Electric line.

Here's a map of all Metra lines. Now say you're a Steger resident who wants to get to the city in the afternoon and come home at night. Are you honestly saying the SMART thing to do is to drive all the way to the Metra station in Mokena instead of just taking Metra Electric nearby? How is that smart? It seems kinda stupid and pointless to me.

Where are you from? I don't know anyone who is afraid to ride Metra Electric to get to and from the city at any hours..

Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM

The 'woman' who committed assault and battery looked like she was professional, well-dressed, well-groomed, 50-ish. She appeared to be headed to work in the loop. That was what made it even more frightening to me.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I know it's wild but I've never heard of any crime happening on the Metra at all. I imagine it would be hard to get away with most crimes unless you commit it right before your stop. Even then it would be difficult. I'm not saying there's never been any crime on the Metra. I've just never heard of it.

Isnt the Metra Electric line the busiest metra route for ridership?

Certainly would not be scared to ride the line.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr635 View Post
The 'woman' who committed assault and battery looked like she was professional, well-dressed, well-groomed, 50-ish. She appeared to be headed to work in the loop. That was what made it even more frightening to me.

When did this supposedly happen and how far was she from the station.

So it was a lady who committed assult and battery to who

the story makes no sense to me from what your describing.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:04 PM

I can see that.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 PM

It sounds like you're a little confused. I am a woman, and another woman committed assault and battery against me on the Metra Electric line train during the morning commute. I reported it via phone to Metra when I got to work and I believe another passenger reported it a day or 2 later. Metra tried to minimize the situation and never responded back to me, nor did I insist that they do. I did not see her on the train for a long time, but when she came back, she would get off the train at South Water and follow me to McDonald's in the morning. My mistake was in thinking Metra would handle the incident appropriately, but they did not. That is most likely because they didn't want the bad PR. What I have since come to realize is that Metra is only concerned about Metra, its reputation and its employees. I now believe that this woman was more dangerous than I initially thought.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:53 PM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:
It sounds like you're a little confused. I am a woman, and another woman committed assault and battery against me on the Metra Electric line train during the morning commute. I reported it via phone to Metra when I got to work and I believe another passenger reported it a day or 2 later. Metra tried to minimize the situation and never responded back to me, nor did I insist that they do. I did not see her on the train for a long time, but when she came back, she would get off the train at South Water and follow me to McDonald's in the morning. My mistake was in thinking Metra would handle the incident appropriately, but they did not. That is most likely because they didn't want the bad PR. What I have since come to realize is that Metra is only concerned about Metra, its reputation and its employees. I now believe that this woman was more dangerous than I initially thought.
I would encourage you to contact John Hilkevitch at the Tribune. This story seems right up his alley.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 PM

I would fear retaliation.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
sorry to hear about your troubles on metra electric line.

Out of sheer curiosity where did she attack you on the train or platform and around what area did this happen.

Now that i think about it didnt a guy get killed a few years back near sibley
A metra employee or police officer. I think he was mugged.

So sorry to hear about your troubles on the commute. Sure hope it never happens again.

I am very familiar with the line and hope you dont ask me minding where the assault happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago