Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarboy View Post
The metra is the safest form of public transportation in and out of the city. All of the suburban folks use it - even those in the undesirable suburbs. It's about 4 -6 bucks just to ride on the metra one way. I can't believe you'd assume it's not safe.
I agree. If you are affraid to ride the metra electric. Then public transport just isn't your thing. Unlike the CTA there is a conductor regularly walking around between cars. Politely asking people for there tickets and won't hesitate to politely ask someone to be quite or exit the train if causing a disturbance. Fighting on the train is a felony and either the metra police or the local police patrol each station. I know homewood, flossmoor, olympia fields, and matteson all have closed circuit cameras monitoring the stations at the local police stations 24 hours per day. Public transport doesn't get any safer or orderly than that other than airplane travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 26,098 times
On the train enroute to the loop. The verbal assault occured between Homewood and Calumet and she punched me in the back while I was waiting to exit at South Water. She would have boarded at Flossmoor.

I appreciate a forum where I can actually let this incident be known. I will put it behind me when I no longer have to commute. It will be easier than putting behind me the accident in the early 70's when 40+ passengers were killed. I was a young woman then, and was on the train behind it. It was a horrible sight, and am reminded of it every time the train overshoots the platform.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr635 View Post
On the train enroute to the loop. The verbal assault occured between Homewood and Calumet and she punched me in the back while I was waiting to exit at South Water. She would have boarded at Flossmoor.

I appreciate a forum where I can actually let this incident be known. I will put it behind me when I no longer have to commute. It will be easier than putting behind me the accident in the early 70's when 40+ passengers were killed. I was a young woman then, and was on the train behind it. It was a horrible sight, and am reminded of it every time the train overshoots the platform.
wow. well that is about only a 1 minute ride from homewood to calumet.
anyway I feel for you living in fear on your commute.
Thoughts are with you and I hope someday you find peace.
I believe the other poster should give you a little reassurance .
The trains do have conductors collecting tickets and keeping an eye on passengers. I know for a fact that line is strictly monitored. Probably more than either me or you know or are even aware of these days.
If you have to commute and i am sure you know this but try to sit next to a friend who commutes at the same time of day you do. You can pass time this way and people in numbers are always better .
In addition let the conductor know in person your fear I am sure if you personally talk to them again they will keep an extra watch for your safety.

The conductors are good people and they know all the commuters and know the odd balls that ride the rails.

Anyhow good luck to you , will keep you in my thoughts

Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM

9 posts, read 26,098 times
Thanks. I have made one change. Instead of being a 'nice' lady, I cop an attitude when I board the train that basically says, "don't ____ with me".

Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I agree. If you are affraid to ride the metra electric. Then public transport just isn't your thing. Unlike the CTA there is a conductor regularly walking around between cars. Politely asking people for there tickets and won't hesitate to politely ask someone to be quite or exit the train if causing a disturbance. Fighting on the train is a felony and either the metra police or the local police patrol each station. I know homewood, flossmoor, olympia fields, and matteson all have closed circuit cameras monitoring the stations at the local police stations 24 hours per day. Public transport doesn't get any safer or orderly than that other than airplane travel.
Seriously? I've bought weed at the Matteson Metra station before, lol.. (I don't smoke anymore, by the way) What about the graffiti inside the station and by the tracks? An old friend of mine (R.I.P) had a bunch of his tags up on the 211st Street Station in Olympia Fields. They've been removed but my point is the police never came looking for him or anything.. The police prabobly only check the tapes after the fact of a reported crime. If there is CCTV, do you know how long the system has been installed?

My comments so far on this thread have been about the train itself not the train stations. In fact, not too long ago, me and a buddy were in Cal City and closest to the Harvey Metra station but we drove down to the Homewood station instead.

Last edited by urza216; 04-23-2011 at 11:10 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 PM

98 posts, read 111,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well this isn't off topic or anything.
You are just giving the dolt more publicity by quoting the offending post. Next time, do not give the moron the pleasure.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Seriously? I've bought weed at the Matteson Metra station before, lol.. (I don't smoke anymore, by the way) What about the graffiti inside the station and by the tracks? An old friend of mine (R.I.P) had a bunch of his tags up on the 211st Street Station in Olympia Fields. They've been removed but my point is the police never came looking for him or anything.. The police prabobly only check the tapes after the fact of a reported crime. If there is CCTV, do you know how long the system has been installed?

My comments so far on this thread have been about the train itself not the train stations. In fact, not too long ago, me and a buddy were in Cal City and closest to the Harvey Metra station but we drove down to the Homewood station instead.
The homewood cops can play Barney Fife sometimes

Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levans32 View Post
Yes, I think you will be pleased with Metra's service. I ride every day to and frm work; I also take CTA pink line....now thats a mess. back on topic I think Metra is very safe and efficient. Hyde park is also seems to be a decent area...never lived there but I ride though every day and its seems to be a growing and professional area.
Pretty sure Metra gets a large subsidy of Federal money for security purposes
post 9-11.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM

300 posts, read 638,723 times
Metra is pretty safe, though It's a somewhat "dead zone" as I call it from 111th street station in Roseland to 75th Street station in Grand Crossing. This area of track goes through some pretty rough neighborhood, and the stations look like the dumps, made of wood and rusted bolts. The Metra line from Kensington to University Park is nice, and the stations look modern. Homewood station is beautiful,well kept and Hyde Park station is also nice.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Threads like this amaze me. Before City Data, I didn't realize people had questions like this..

Of course, it's safe.. Or at least it's safe from danger. Safe from having to see a bunch of black people, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago