Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times

Advertisements

As to the topic, I probably will have to move back to Cleveland in the next five or ten years to take care of my folks. They refuse to move to a warmer climate and senior living homes/in house care isn't a financial reality. And since I don't have a wife, kids or a "real" Job here, whereas my sisters have real lives, then .... well, that'll be that for Chicago, at least for a lengthy time period.

Whoopie doo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM

541 posts, read 912,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I wouldn't even consider living in Honolulu on less than a six-digit salary. Throw some kids into the mix and just cracking six digits probably wouldn't be enough. If you want the year-round weather and the outdoor recreational opportunities, SoCal is a cheaper option than Honolulu ("cheaper" of course being relative). Plus you aren't stuck out in the middle of the ocean.

My rent would be around $300. My brother lives there, and ive been there three times since 2000.

I know what Hawaii offers, and nobody really goes to Hawaii for Honolulu.

Its for the weather and nature, of which are two strikes for Chicago.

On the other hand, city wise, I really dont need to pick apart who wins that one.

Which is why its such a tough choice. Theres no in between with them.

I want the nature and weather, but I want the sports, nightlife and food too. A coin might have to decide this one.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
My rent would be around $300. My brother lives there, and ive been there three times since 2000.

I know what Hawaii offers, and nobody really goes to Hawaii for Honolulu.

Its for the weather and nature, of which are two strikes for Chicago.

On the other hand, city wise, I really dont need to pick apart who wins that one.

Which is why its such a tough choice. Theres no in between with them.

I want the nature and weather, but I want the sports, nightlife and food too. A coin might have to decide this one.
If you're pretty young, and you already have a potential (cheap) living arrangement already set up, then I guess there's nothing wrong with giving Hawaii a try for a while.

One thing to reconsider, though: the expense of getting back to the mainland, and upstate NY for family visits. You're going to have to be VERY happy with Hawaii.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default You'd be surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I wouldn't even consider living in Honolulu on less than a six-digit salary. Throw some kids into the mix and just cracking six digits probably wouldn't be enough. If you want the year-round weather and the outdoor recreational opportunities, SoCal is a cheaper option than Honolulu ("cheaper" of course being relative). Plus you aren't stuck out in the middle of the ocean.
There are some ways for "normal folks" to afford life in Hawaii. The parents of Bethany Hamiliton, the young surfer that overcame loss of her arm in a shark attack, had parents that were retired military. There are special tax rates for folks that live in "regular homes" inland and a variety of other such accomodations. That said it is not a luxurious existence -- pretty common for for teachers and others with pretty solid jobs to be forced to share mobile homes and such. The beaches are free, lots of gorgeous parks, it is quite reasonable to accept some of the trade offs...

Old 04-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If you're pretty young, and you already have a potential (cheap) living arrangement already set up, then I guess there's nothing wrong with giving Hawaii a try for a while.

One thing to reconsider, though: the expense of getting back to the mainland, and upstate NY for family visits. You're going to have to be VERY happy with Hawaii.

Not many people get the chance to either.

Mainland expenses, meh. Im more concerned with the West Coast. Seattle, LA, SF, etc.

Family visits would come to us. My other sibling lives in Seoul. No way in hell we are going to Upstate for Xmas or other family events. Middle ground is Honolulu.

My brother has rarely come back to NY in the 12+ years hes been on the islands.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Not many people get the chance to either.

Mainland expenses, meh. Im more concerned with the West Coast. Seattle, LA, SF, etc.

Family visits would come to us. My other sibling lives in Seoul. No way in hell we are going to Upstate for Xmas or other family events. Middle ground is Honolulu.

My brother has rarely come back to NY in the 12+ years hes been on the islands.
Of course to each their own. Hawaii for me is just too isolated. I remember looking out to the ocean when I was there and thinking there was nothing but water for thousands of miles all around. Kind of freaky.
When I went to visit, my friend was livin there. While he loved it he said he kept getting island fever. A quick get away from Hawaii reall doesn't exist.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 PM

Its not long term.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
One thing to reconsider, though: the expense of getting back to the mainland, and upstate NY for family visits.
How often does one visit family when they don't live nearby? Once a year? Twice a year? You're looking at maybe a couple thousand bucks, compared to maybe half that if you lived several hundred miles from them within the Continental U.S. This isn't much of a factor in the overall financial picture unless you're making extremely low pay.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
A couple thousand here and there really starts to add up. As plenty of people who have tried to make a life in Hawaii can tell you.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm going to be honest. Honolulu is overrated as a city. Not bad, but overrated.

First of all, it's not nearly as big as you might think for a city..under 400,000 for the city and about 950,000 people on Oahu total. There is public transit, but it's not that great at all (they'd be smart to build an elevated line or subway if they could do it) and the traffic actually sucks. You'd have to get used to driving differently too - much more aggressive than most of the mainland drives. I eventually adjusted, but I had no idea when I first drove on the freeway there and how aggressive people can be. It's definitely more in line with driving in Asia and you have to cut people off if you want to get over lanes. Nobody is going to just let you go.
I had the opposite experience in Honolulu. I felt like people really obeyed the speed limits on the highways (unlike the mainland where if you're obeying speed limits on highways, you'll have a lot of angry people at you who are trying to go 10-15 over the speed limit).

I also felt like people in Hawaii would slow down excessively too much, to let me in the highways.

Interesting how different people experience places differently though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago