Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times

Advertisements

I've been in Chicago a year and a half and love it. The only time when I want to pack my bags is when there's is a 15 below wind chill factor or when it snows during rush hour. We won't mention ythe traffic on the kennedy or the ike.

With all the negatives. I've never met so many real people. This is still a city where most people can thrive regardless. Beautiful lake front. Tons of culture. The energy is awsome. I don't forsee me packing up and moving anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM

381 posts, read 843,037 times
In terms of moving out due to "I just can't stand it anymore for whatever reason," no. I do want to live and experience other cities (e.g. NYC, Portland, Denver, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, Tokyo, London, Paris, Seville) but I never felt bitter towards Chicago or that is wasn't "enough". I have too much invested in this city and I don't understand people that I've encountered, a mixture of those who never ventured outside their neighborhood/suburb/town, and say, "I want to experience something new. Chicago is old." They don't understand that there is a world-class city right in their back yard, literally. Although I guess you can look at this subjectively and say "new" is different for each individual. For me, it's not a measure of how many miles one traveled. It's the experience and knowledge gained. That trumps any world trekker who's been to every city in the world, and yet comes back with a vague memory of what happened since they can't stop, listen, and soak in the environment. They hear about Chicago, visited its tourist attractions, and maybe a few bars but they haven't really experienced the city for what it is. If I ever do leave Chicago for another city, I'll always look fondly at the experiences - the good and the bad.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
just the opposite, trying to set it up where I am there about 3-4 months out of the year, which ...would be about optimal

Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
just the opposite, trying to set it up where I am there about 3-4 months out of the year, which ...would be about optimal
What would you do with the place the other months of the year?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredy_Squirrel View Post
I got through 6 pages of this thread before I had to grab 2 Advils.

Has the original poster ever come back into this thread or has it turned into debates among posters? Just curious. If I were to think about writing a post such as the O.P., I'd already have my bags packed and plane ticket purchased for a city I felt more comfortable living in.
By default I live in Chicago because I live in my parent's house which I will inherit and it's rent free. But if I moved out of Chicago I would only miss Culver's, Steak N Shake, Taco Burrito Place [my favorite Mexican restaurant], and cool weather. - That's about the only things I'd miss!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 PM

955 posts, read 1,833,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
By default I live in Chicago because I live in my parent's house which I will inherit and it's rent free. But if I moved out of Chicago I would only miss Culver's, Steak N Shake, Taco Burrito Place [my favorite Mexican restaurant], and cool weather. - That's about the only things I'd miss!
Jeez, the city must have really been bad for you since all that you're gonna miss is three cheezy fast food joints. Try eating at a good restaurant, it might make the rest of your stay a little more enjoyable.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Jeez, the city must have really been bad for you since all that you're gonna miss is three cheezy fast food joints. Try eating at a good restaurant, it might make the rest of your stay a little more enjoyable.
No kidding. I've been in Chicago for 17 years and have never even considered eating at any of those places. Even if you're only into fast food joints, those are some pretty poor choices.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 PM

116 posts, read 365,027 times
I'm getting the hell out of here as soon as I graduate, I love this city but problems just keep getting worse..the gang violence for one thing and the weather sucks balls for 7 months out of the year

Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Hasta. More room for us.
You are not going to win. P u t o.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 AM

92 posts, read 315,992 times
Default Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Do you sometimes think of moving out of Chicago?
Yes, close to everyday. I just cannot comprehend the insanity of anyone wanting to live in a large city. The crime, high cost of living, taking forever to get anywhere...

What is really wearing on me is the morbid weather. I saw so few sunny days during this past winter that I started a tally for the number of consecutive days I'd see with sun. The record was only 4. I've never been affected by weather before, but this winter I started becoming really depressed, resultant from the cloudy weather and struggling with living in Chicagoland.

I'd prefer a place with 300+ sunny days a year, mountains, doesn't take forever and a day to drive across the city, and a cost of living that won't bleed me dry.

But I'm stuck here for right now, so I've been making the best of things by taking in the positive elements of Chicago by visiting the various museums, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago