Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 AM

51 posts, read 107,349 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm an artist and need to find a place with enough room for me, my roommates and an artstudio; I need a relatively big place, but I live on Disability, and my roommates don't have much. Everyone says find a rent sign in Pilsen, but the only places that were good enough (2 places) were already taken. Is there any where else in Chicago that's relatively safe, has one decent supermarket, has an el stop or major bus line, and is a very cheap neiborhood? It doesn't have to have a lot of stores I just need the stuff I just mentioned, safety, groceries, good public transport. There used to be places like that, there has to be a place like that now.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:22 PM

367 posts, read 918,272 times
West Town, Ukrainian Village, areas of Humboldt park perhaps?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Price range?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM

14 posts, read 41,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental View Post
Hi,
I'm an artist and need to find a place with enough room for me, my roommates and an artstudio; I need a relatively big place, but I live on Disability, and my roommates don't have much. Everyone says find a rent sign in Pilsen, but the only places that were good enough (2 places) were already taken. Is there any where else in Chicago that's relatively safe, has one decent supermarket, has an el stop or major bus line, and is a very cheap neiborhood? It doesn't have to have a lot of stores I just need the stuff I just mentioned, safety, groceries, good public transport. There used to be places like that, there has to be a place like that now.
Thanks
Boy, you're not asking for much, are you! "Safe" and "Cheap" are usually found only in rural areas, not urban. Safe is found in monied areas or sleepy suburbs, Cheap is found in poor areas that have a lot of warehouses or no one wants to live their because of the crime. I grew up in rural Illinois and still, you can buy a house for $35,000.00, to live in the middle of Nowhere, U.S.A.

I've lived in almost every neighborhood of Chicago in the past 35 years and they all have pluses and minuses: Gold Coast and Lincoln Park were safe but gastly expensive, too touristy and no parking; Hyde Park, near Jeffery, was cheap but dodgy; Andersonville got as expensive as Lincoln Park, and now Logan Square is becoming the over-flow Hot Spot for Wicker Parker's who can't afford to live there. I won't even mention Uptown; lost 5 years of my life living there...ugh.

Start your search by what is the MOST important thing to you! Safety? Cheapness? Transportation? And then go down the list as to what is and is not important; they don't all rate as #1. I settled on Logan Square because 10 years ago, it was dirt cheap, safe, and a short commute to work via car to my job in Lincoln Park. Now, rates have gone up, gang violence is prevalent in certain areas, and the yuppies have started clogging up the place with coffee shops, dogs and expensive-poor service restaurants. I've learned there's no Heaven on Earth; just what you'll put up with for a price.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 12,858 times
Have you looked at Old Irving/Irving Park and Portgage Park/Six Corners?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,692 times
This is a variant of the same old question....

"Hello! I am moving to Chicago because of (insert life-circumstance here).

Because of (said circumstance), I require a nice place in a safe area of the city, however, I can only afford to pay (insert absurdly low sum here) a month. It must include (insert ridiculously unattainable amenities here) and be within walking distance to both the lake and an El Stop..."

The answer to this question is always the same: LOL. No. Go move to Des Moines.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 AM

8 posts, read 12,858 times
Default chicago Neighborhoods

there are areas of Chicago that are much lower priced then the "trendy areas and yes, you can find them in safe, abiet maybe not as "xcitin" areas. I encourage you t check out Portage Park, Six Corners, Jefferson Park, etc--Theres a LOT of living in Chicago west !!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunette2010 View Post
Have you looked at Old Irving/Irving Park and Portgage Park/Six Corners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunette2010 View Post
there are areas of Chicago that are much lower priced then the "trendy areas and yes, you can find them in safe, abiet maybe not as "xcitin" areas. I encourage you t check out Portage Park, Six Corners, Jefferson Park, etc--Theres a LOT of living in Chicago west !!
But those places don't come cheap.

Old Irving is a bit more expensive than some would like. I remember seing some cheap studios near six corners for $500 or so plus utilities.

If you're an artist, you might try looking for apartments on Morgan St. from 31st to 33rd in Bridgeport. I almost got a 2br apartment there for $575, but decided that there was too much active gang presence for my own liking. There is also a public housing complex right there too. But, it is cheap.

In my particular complex, there are small 1br's for $585 (heat included) that is 1 block from the Kedzie brown line stop, 2 blocks from andy's fruit ranch (groceries) and the Lawrence bus that takes you to the Jefferson Park Blue line stop.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 PM

Sorry I just saw that there were replies, and haven't read everything. It's me and 2 others, and the most we can pay is $900 plus utilities. I can pay more if any utilities are covered.
Thanks

I like the listing of cheap but safe neihborhoods. If anyone knows good sites to look for live work spaces would be cool. Craigslist has only so many listings.
Thanks

Old 04-30-2010, 04:07 PM

I live in Ukrainian Village, but I need a large place to work. By safe I don't mean that there is 0 chance of being mugged, just not a war zone where I may get mugged almost anyday, and get my house robbed often. I'm hoping for an area where I might be mugged once every few years, and be safe in my apt. I don't need to be by the lake just to be relatively safe from violence. I've been mugged once here and once in Rogers Park where I lived before.

Last edited by Mental; 04-30-2010 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: forgot to say something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago