Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 11:16 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times

Advertisements

My goodness. Who would have thought that a degree in theology would be required for a topic as non-complex as this one?

With that comment I'll simply ask of those millions of Christians who DO believe that they are keeping the Sabbath command of the Big Ten as to WHY they honor Sunday rather than the day asked of them by their God? I'm still trying to come to terms with the catch-cry of many of them that the 7th-day Sabbath command is a 'burden' for them while, apparently, Sunday-keeping is not. As I've said before ...this does not compute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 12:46 AM

3,061 posts, read 913,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I’m not a scientist and don’t want to be one so I’ll just leave all that to scientific people to address, if it’s even relevant to Christianity which John says Jesus says His kingdom is not of THIS world aka “kosmos”

G2889 (Strong)

κόσμος

kosmos

kos'-mos

Probably from the base of G2865; orderly arrangement, that is, decoration; by implication the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants, literally or figuratively [morally]): - adorning, world.
To begin with, those were not the words of the man Jesus, but the words of 'HE' who was anointed as the heir and successor to the throne of the MOST HIGH in the creation, and to serve God before the body of Adam/mankind into all eternity.

The words of 'HE" who said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18-19; "I will send them a prophet just like you from among their own people; I will put MY WORDS in his mouth, and he will tell the people everything that I command him to say. And whoever will not give heed to MY WORDS which he will speak in MY NAME, I will surely punish.”

Peter reveals who that prophet was, when in Acts 3: 12; in reference to the man Jesus, Peter says; “For Moses said, ‘The Lord your God will send you a prophet just as he sent me, and he will be one of your own people, etc.”

Did the people of his day believe that the man Jesus was some God, who had been born of a virgin? Of course not, the Jews who lived in the day of Jesus, knew that God had said to Moses that he would choose a man from among the Israelites and send him to speak in his name, and Peter in Acts 3: 22; verified that man to be Jesus the son of Mary, Plus the people of his day knew that he was the man that God had chosen from among the Israelites and sent to speak in his name, when on his triumphant entry into Jerusalem, they cried out: “BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD.”

But the Lord did say through his obedient servant Jesus, that his kingdom is not of this physical world, for flesh and blood cannot enter the Kingdom of God. His Kingdom is a spiritual dimension that co-exists within our physical three dimensional world, for the Kingdom of God is within you.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:59 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
My goodness. Who would have thought that a degree in theology would be required for a topic as non-complex as this one?

With that comment I'll simply ask of those millions of Christians who DO believe that they are keeping the Sabbath command of the Big Ten as to WHY they honor Sunday rather than the day asked of them by their God? I'm still trying to come to terms with the catch-cry of many of them that the 7th-day Sabbath command is a 'burden' for them while, apparently, Sunday-keeping is not. As I've said before ...this does not compute.
It computes when after a 7 year Jewish war that not many Gentiles were brave enough to risk the lives of their families to be caught red handed keeping Jewish ways in Rome after a very bitter heinous war where the Newspapers of the day read, '' Jerusalem cut off from supplies was found eating the flesh of humans.''

Rome was appalled by the Jewish war and for a Roman to be caught keeping Jewish holy days not only brought you a steep tax, it brought danger to your front door being a traitor of Rome and an enemy of the Gods, this is why Christians converted to pagan ways, and you almost cant blame them. A father would have to choose Christ over the lives of his own children.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
It computes when after a 7 year Jewish war that not many Gentiles were brave enough to risk the lives of their families to be caught red handed keeping Jewish ways in Rome after a very bitter heinous war where the Newspapers of the day read, '' Jerusalem cut off from supplies was found eating the flesh of humans.''

Rome was appalled by the Jewish war and for a Roman to be caught keeping Jewish holy days not only brought you a steep tax, it brought danger to your front door being a traitor of Rome and an enemy of the Gods, this is why Christians converted to pagan ways, and you almost cant blame them. A father would have to choose Christ over the lives of his own children.
An excerpt from the book: “Jesus The Evidence,” by Ian Wilson. P. 144. Concerning the Roman church of Emperor Constantine, St Constantine to the Catholics.

The Middle Ages, for the Jews at least, began with the advent to power of Constantine the Great. He was the first Roman Emperor to issue laws which radically limited the rights of the Jews as citizens’ of the Roman Empire, a right conferred on them by Caracalla in 212. As Constantine’s church grew in power it influenced the emperors to limit further the civil and political rights of the Jews.

But if times were again difficult for the Jews, for the Christian Gnostics and other fringe groups they were impossible. The books of Arius and his sympathizers were ordered to be burnt, and a reign of terror proclaimed for all those who did not conform with the new official Christian line of St Constantine's church, which God, through his prophet Zechariah prophesied that he would raise up in the land to guide his stubborn flock that HE had abandoned. See Zechariah 12: 11-17.

:Understand now by this present statute, Novatians, Valentinians, Marcionites, Paulinians, you who are called Cataphrygians. . . . with what a tissue of lies and vanities, with what destructive and venomous errors, your doctrines are inextricably woven! We give you warning . . . .Let none of you presume, from this time forward, to meet in congregations. To prevent this, we command that you be deprived of all the houses in which you have been accustomed to meet . . . . and that these houses should be handed over immediately to the catholic/ i.e. universal church.

Within a generation, hardly leaving a trace of their existence for posterity, the great majority of these groups simply died away as successive Christian emperors reiterated the policies that Constantine had pursued.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:01 AM

525 posts, read 347,950 times
RomulusXXV,
re: "With that comment I'll simply ask of those millions of Christians who DO believe that they are keeping the Sabbath command of the Big Ten as to WHY they honor Sunday rather than the day asked of them by their God?"

With regard to why they honor the first day of the week, I think most would probably say they do it in honor of the resurrection. However, it seems odd that scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing that. It will be interesting, though, to hear why they might think they are keeping the commandment.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
With that comment I'll simply ask of those millions of Christians who DO believe that they are keeping the Sabbath command of the Big Ten as to WHY they honor Sunday rather than the day asked of them by their God?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
With regard to why they honor the first day of the week, I think most would probably say they do it in honor of the resurrection.
Actually, it's more likely that people attend their church on a Sunday because that's the day the church doors are open. I would doubt that most of them could even give a reason as to why Sunday is considered to be a Christian 'holy day' since it has simply become a weekly Christian routine that requires no thought. To most of them if asked, however, they would likely call Sunday 'the Sabbath'. And, to the few that believe they have knowledge of the Ten Commandments, they would feel that they are keeping the 4th-command as asked of them. One thing is for certain, however, and that is that most of them would not even consider the theology as put forward by Anointed and agreed to by a few others on this thread. I would even say that most Christians wouldn't have a clue as to WHY they profess to be 'Christians'. The 'tribal mentality' applies to both the religious as well as the secular community.

Quote:
However, it seems odd that scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing that. It will be interesting, though, to hear why they might think they are keeping the commandment.
That's my main point in this discussion more so than actually promoting the 7th-day Sabbath. I believe that a huge majority of Christians are no more than sheep and it's more a case of 'monkey see, monkey do'. I realize that Jesus referred to his followers as 'sheep' but I really do believe that we've taken that expression a bit too literally.

Anyway, it would appear that Roman Emperor Constantine, already mentioned by Anointed, issued a civil decree on 7 March 321 making Sunday a day of rest from labor, stating: All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun. And that, dear reader, became the custom of mainstream Christianity from that time to the present ...NOTHING to do with the Bible.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's more likely that people attend their church on a Sunday because that's the day the church doors are open. I would doubt that most of them could even give a reason as to why Sunday is considered to be a Christian 'holy day' since it has simply become a weekly Christian routine that requires no thought. To most of them if asked, however, they would likely call Sunday 'the Sabbath'. And, to the few that believe they have knowledge of the Ten Commandments, they would feel that they are keeping the 4th-command as asked of them. One thing is for certain, however, and that is that most of them would not even consider the theology as put forward by Anointed and agreed to by a few others on this thread. I would even say that most Christians wouldn't have a clue as to WHY they profess to be 'Christians'. The 'tribal mentality' applies to both the religious as well as the secular community.

That's my main point in this discussion more so than actually promoting the 7th-day Sabbath. I believe that a huge majority of Christians are no more than sheep and it's more a case of 'monkey see, monkey do'. I realize that Jesus referred to his followers as 'sheep' but I really do believe that we've taken that expression a bit too literally.

Anyway, it would appear that Roman Emperor Constantine, already mentioned by Anointed, issued a civil decree on 7 March 321 making Sunday a day of rest from labor, stating: All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun. And that, dear reader, became the custom of mainstream Christianity from that time to the present ...NOTHING to do with the Bible.
Not only is the calendar that we follow today based on the Solar Year, and devised by the Roman Church of Emperor Constantine, the Lunar calendar which is several days short of the Solar calendar, was the calendar, followed by the Jews and Jesus with his disciples, which does nor correspond to the Saturday of out time.

If you want to hold your Sabbath on the same day that the Jews did, you had better do a bit of research old mate.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:00 AM

525 posts, read 347,950 times
The Anointed,

What documentation do you have which shows that the 7 day cycle has been interupted at some point since the 1st century?

Old 03-18-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
The Anointed,

What documentation do you have which shows that the 7 day cycle has been interupted at some point since the 1st century?
Actually, the calendar has been changed but the actual sequence of days were not interrupted.

On October 4, 1582, Pope Gregory XIII issued a papal bull proposing a new calendar—the one we go by today—called the Gregorian calendar. As countries switched to the Gregorian calendar, they would “lose” a number of days, bringing their calendar into closer alignment with the solar system. The longer a country waited to switch, the more days would be dropped. Most European countries switched right away, and they lost 10 days. For instance, Thursday, October 4, 1582, was followed by Friday, October 15, 1582—not October 5. (The United States switched in 1752, making 11 days disappear. Turkey was the last country to switch, making the jump in 1927, and it lost 13 days.)

Yet no matter how many days a country lost by switching to the Gregorian calendar, the weekly cycle was not affected at all. Friday still followed Thursday, and Saturday still followed Friday. The same seventh day remained.

https://www.sabbathtruth.com/faq/fre...r-been-changed

Yes, the above does appear to come from a site that might be seen as being '7th-day Sabbath' biased but historical truth is still the truth no matter who is presenting it.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Actually, the calendar has been changed but the actual sequence of days were not interrupted.

On October 4, 1582, Pope Gregory XIII issued a papal bull proposing a new calendar—the one we go by today—called the Gregorian calendar. As countries switched to the Gregorian calendar, they would “lose” a number of days, bringing their calendar into closer alignment with the solar system. The longer a country waited to switch, the more days would be dropped. Most European countries switched right away, and they lost 10 days. For instance, Thursday, October 4, 1582, was followed by Friday, October 15, 1582—not October 5. (The United States switched in 1752, making 11 days disappear. Turkey was the last country to switch, making the jump in 1927, and it lost 13 days.)

Yet no matter how many days a country lost by switching to the Gregorian calendar, the weekly cycle was not affected at all. Friday still followed Thursday, and Saturday still followed Friday. The same seventh day remained.

https://www.sabbathtruth.com/faq/fre...r-been-changed

Yes, the above does appear to come from a site that might be seen as being '7th-day Sabbath' biased but historical truth is still the truth no matter who is presenting it.
No matter how many days a country lost by switching to the Gregorian calendar, it would appear that the weekly cycle was not affected at all. Friday still followed Thursday, and Saturday still followed Friday, but they were totally out of sync with the days worshiped by the Jews.

Most European countries switched right away, and they lost 10 days. Ten days from the Jewish Sabbath is not the same day of the week that the Jews celebrated their Sabbath.

The United States switched in 1752, making 11 days disappear, and eleven days from the Jewish Sabbath is not the same day of the week that the Jews celebrated their Sabbath.

Turkey, which was the last country to switch, making the jump in 1927, and it lost 13 days, and thirteen days from the Jewish Sabbath is not the same day of the week that the Jews celebrated their Sabbath.

On which day do you celebrate the weekly Sabbath Romulus: on the tenth day from the Jewish Sabbath, the eleventh day from the Jewish Sabbath, or the day of the Turks, which is 13 days from the Jewish weekly Sabbath day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity