Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:49 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What I find humorous is that you find Jason's statement humorous. The God he is referring to is known in theological circles as "the Abrahamic God." That's common knowledge among educated Christians.
" That's common knowledge among educated Christians " Moderator cut: deleted

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\ quote v v v v ////////////////////////////////////

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

the term 'Abrahamic faiths,' while helpful, is also misleading.... the core Christian beliefs of Incarnation, Trinity, and Jesus' Resurrection are categorically denied by Judaism and Islam
  • " The Christian God is at the same time an indivisible Trinity, a view not shared by the other religions."
There are key beliefs in both Islam and Judaism that are not shared by Christianity, and so on.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ end of quote ^ ^ ^ ////////////////////////////////////////////

The Abrahamic God:
  • Forgave freely
  • commanded that you to be holy, be perfect (not become it)
  • declares people "perfect" by faith ...not from observing the law
The god of Islam and Judaism ( or any other religion that is based on works) is not the same God that Abraham believed in ..... which is Christianity.

Moderator cut: veiled denominational bashing

Last edited by june 7th; 08-13-2010 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There are key beliefs in both Islam and Judaism that are not shared by Christianity, and so on.
This is one reason, out of many, why they are three separate religions. It doesn't change that its the same God.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
This is one reason, out of many, why they are three separate religions. It doesn't change that its the same God.
You don't get it and you acknowledge that. Far be it for me to get you to see they aren't the same God when you have no desire to do so. It's simply not true that those three religions lead to the same God.

But go ahead and "believe in something different" ... I'm sure those who use the 30,000 denomination bs argument can help you find the best one for you...... heck, she might recommend one that teaches "they have the only key to the door"

Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You don't get it and you acknowledge that. Far be it for me to get you to see they aren't the same God when you have no desire to do so. It's simply not true that those three religions lead to the same God.

But go ahead and "believe in something different" ... I'm sure those who use the 30,000 denomination bs argument can help you find the best one for you...... heck, she might recommend one that teaches "they have the only key to the door"
And likewise you don't get it either. You can't argue history because you refuse to acknowledge something. Just because the religions have different beliefs, doesn't mean they all have a different God. If that were true, there would be about 50,000 variations of "God" and 49,999 of them would be wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you also a universalist? I'd think you would be more open minded to finding "God" than the fundamentalists, since you don't believe in hell anyhow. You're essentially saying that their is only one way to the one "God" but also saying that it doesn't really matter anyways. I'd say its interesting but if thats what you're proposing its too contradicting and confusing to make much sense. Sorry to inform you with this newsflash but Christianity does not have the only way to spiritual enlightenment. The story of Jesus is a mirror image copy of several other religions that came BEFORE Christianity. Check out the Egyptian character Horus, for one example.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,340 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. Through out various old testament passages God does force himself on others and then threatens them via eternal torment in hell if people worship false idols.
Jason, you (and possibly some others on this thread) argue as if God is the one who is on trial. The almighty creator of the universe, along with His Son, Jesus Christ, are the ones who will ultimately pronounce judgement on all of us. We know from the Bible that there was a time in history when all human beings had become so wicked that all were drowned by the flood except for Noah and his 3 sons and their wives. I believe in a God who is perfectly righteous, which means he is perfectly just in his judgments. Since you have chosen not to believe in Him or to live by His standards, why are you trying to persuade others to join you in disrespecting Him?
The God of this universe was once the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, but the Jews are no longer seen as being the chosen people of God since they rejected the Messiah. The 11th chapter of Romans seems to suggest that many Jews will be saved prior to our Saviour's return to this earth. In the meantime, Jews and Muslims completely deny the doctrine that "No man cometh unto the Father, but by me [Jesus Christ.]

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 08-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: mistake in wording

Old 08-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Jason, you (and possibly some others on this thread) argue as if God is the one who is on trial. The almighty creator of the universe, along with His Son, Jesus Christ, are the ones who will ultimately pronounce judgement on all of us. We know from the Bible that there was a time in history when all human beings had become so wicked that all were drowned by the flood except for Noah and his 3 sons and their wives. I believe in a God who is perfectly righteous, which means he is perfectly just in his judgments. Since you have chosen not to believe in Him or to live by His standards, why are you trying to persuade others to join you in disrespecting Him?
The God of this universe was once the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, but the Jews are no longer seen as being the chosen people of God since they rejected the Messiah. The 11th chapter of Romans seems to suggest that many Jews will be saved prior to our Saviour's return to this earth. In the meantime, Jews and Muslims completely deny the doctrine that "No man cometh unto the Father, but by me [Jesus Christ.]
The bible is more on trial and it was clearly written by men and specifically quite primitive men if you closely examine the OT. Saying God is God and he can do whatever he wants is a cop out argument. Also saying God is perfectly righteous is bogus. Reread the OT without religious bias and try to not cringe when God wipes out hundreds of thousands of people at a time. Just because its somebody's belief system does not mean its above careful examination and critique. I'm also not trying to persuade anyone so much as disagree with some of the things that are being said here. Trying to argue Christians out of Christianity is like trying to teach a five year old geometry. They simply are not capable of understanding, although sometimes, individual points can be made and people come to new understandings of things.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
And likewise you don't get it either. You can't argue history because you refuse to acknowledge something. Just because the religions have different beliefs, doesn't mean they all have a different God. If that were true, there would be about 50,000 variations of "God" and 49,999 of them would be wrong.
Whoa don't say that....some here actually believe there's only 30,000 . I'm sure glad you have a grip on history

Can you imangine the time involved in the re-programming of people and reprinting costs of materials ....better leave it at 30,000 for their sake. Besides, whats a couple of 10,000 anyway

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you also a universalist? .
Be more than happy to ... nope.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Whoa don't say that....some here actually believe there's only 30,000 . I'm sure glad you have a grip on history

Can you imangine the time involved in the re-programming of people and reprinting costs of materials ....better leave it at 30,000 for their sake. Besides, whats a couple of 10,000 anyway

Be more than happy to ... nope.
I apologize for thinking you were a universalist but the actual premise of what I was saying is irrelevant to how many actual branches of different religions there are. The fact of the matter is, all of them believe that they are right and have the only path to "salvation" or whatever higher form they claim to have a stake on. So in essence, they believe all others to be wrong to some extent.

With that being said, only one of two possible outcomes is true:

Only one branch of one religion is right and everyone else is wrong
OR
All branches of all religions have some shred of validity.

So you must be pretty confident if you believe what you're saying is absolute truth. Just take notice that its the exact same thing that other religions/branches also profess. Please enlighten me. On what basis are you judging your truth to be any more true than everyone else's truth? If you say the bible, then I will ask why is your book any more true than other religion's holy books? All of them were written, transcribed, and smeared by man to claim they are true. If you say its because you have a personal relationship with "God/Jesus/The holy spirit/the coffee table/etc.." then I will say that all other religions also claim the exact same things. You say you have witnessed people speaking in tongues and I will say other religions have the same. There is no difference other than what was imprinted in your head, by someone else (usually at a young age), based on where you were born, during a specific time period, and you were told it is absolute truth.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Name one Christian prior to 325 A.D. who believed in a creed which had not even been established at that time, and provide proof for your claim.
Is this another example of the language difference beside "salvation"

"We often disagree with one another because we do not fully understand each other. Some of our misunderstandings can be attributed to differences in the language we use. To a Catholic, the word "salvation" may mean one thing; to a Baptist, it may mean something different; to a Latter-day Saint, it may mean something different still."

---------------------

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia....
"the core Christian beliefs of [are] Incarnation, Trinity, and Jesus' Resurrection "

Despite attempts to change the meaning of words core Christian beliefs from Wikipedia.... "the King has no clothes" Katzpur.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Katzpur,
It would make things much easier if you be up front with people about the language differences when you post...instead of waiting to have other people point it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity