Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Legoman,

.."There is a standard of right and wrong - God is the standard." it's called John 3:36, John 3:16, Matthew 10:28, Revelation 11:18, Ephesians 5:6,

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

"The nations were angry; and your wrath has come. The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great— and for destroying those who destroy the earth."

"Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient."

About the wicked, the unbeliever, God says:

"he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb."

and as Isaiah prophecied:

"And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched"

Those who have an ear let him hear.
The time will come when:
  • the believers are rewarded Revelation 11:18
  • and those who rebelled be tormented Revelation 11:18
  • destroy both soul and body in hell
  • will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath.
    • burning sulfu
  • and it will not end.
    • nor will their fire be quenched
    • their worm will not die
Personally, I think the above are only carnal interpretations of God's plan for His creatures.
The carnal mind cannot make sense of God's nature. Love becomes hate, and hate becomes love. Good becomes evil and evil becomes good. Truth becomes a lie, and lies become the truth.

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Personally, I think the above are only carnal interpretations of God's plan for His creatures.
The carnal mind cannot make sense of God's nature. Love becomes hate, and hate becomes love. Good becomes evil and evil becomes good. Truth becomes a lie, and lies become the truth.

Peace,
brian
You may call them carnal, but Jesus has a different way of describing it...

John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Actually I do care. That's why I discuss them. I was under the impression that the ancient civilizations I listed and their rise and downfall was common WH knowledge. I didn't feel the need to actually write every single one's history and how they came to be and how their grand demise. I assumed you knew.
I know quite well. We can talk all about world civilizations if you like.

Lets take Egypt. As a Mediterranean power, it lasted from about 3000 BCE until approximately the time of Christ. Afterwards it continued as a Roman client state/province. Did you know that the pharoahs had a practice of marrying their siblings? Incest at the top, and the kingdom reigned supreme for 3000 years.

How about Rome? Overall, it lasted 1200 years. People often point to the end of the Republic (44BCE) or the early empire as a time of debauchery and licentiousness. Yet the empire lasted another 500years, and somewhat longer if you consider the successor state of Byzantium.

China. A completely non christian culture. Various dynasties rose and fell, but overall the culture and government was fairly continuous for 5000+ years.

Greece. Acknowledged as the cradle of civilization. One of the strongest city states was Sparta, whose military was renowned for its homosexual soldiers. Look at some ancient Greek art from other city states. Phallic objects EVERYWHERE.

I could go on. My point is that these civilizations were non-christian (except for the later Roman Empire, shortly before it fell...) and seemed to do just fine. They had morals and sensibilities that would horrify a modern southern baptist.

Last edited by fishbrains; 08-30-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,572,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafius View Post
why not?? In fact, he should be more so. after all, he's so keen on telling us to turn the other cheek and forgive our enemies and all those that wrong us so why doesn't your god do what he tells others to do....or is he merely a hypocrite?
god is love!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
In these final days the wicked, those who adore the Spirit of the anti-Christ, pray to false gods and reject Jesus Christ, are being allowed to thrive and feel as though they are right and that their doom is not pending.

Is it right for God to be so merciful towards His enemies?
Why would any believer wish judgment, misery, hell, grief, etc. upon anyone? I don't get it.

I haven't seen how this thread has played out. I have decided not to read it, except for the posts after this post, because I am very tired of reading such stuff, tired of the hatred, tired of the venom that too often comes from people who call themselves Christians.

Some people point at the Psalms as their example of their words against non-Christians. No! The Psalms against enemies were by a warrior-king who prayed against not even his own enemies but against those warring enemies who were also enemies of G-d.

Some point at the readings that say that the unbelievers are at peace to lull them into complacency while judgment rushes to them. They seem to delight in the idea.

Why would anyone want a rush to judgment against people who don't believe? What have they done that makes people so angry? If G-d is not angry to move against them, why are we? Are we more righteous than G-d? More knowledgeable? Do we know best? And why are we so mean, when the Bible says, over and over, throughout the whole book: "Be nice! Love mercy! Pray for peace! Give grace!"

I don't get it.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Well I assume you must be a Universalist
Most days. But every once in a while I do wonder if God will have to zap some creatures with permanent annihilation (particularly those who are obnoxiously religious).

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,572,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Most days. But every once in a while I do wonder if God will have to zap some creatures with permanent annihilation (particularly those who are obnoxiously religious).

Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
Quote:
In these final days the wicked, those who adore the Spirit of the anti-Christ, pray to false gods and reject Jesus Christ, are being allowed to thrive and feel as though they are right and that their doom is not pending.

It's because god isn't really on your side. He allows little children to die and wicked people to flourish, because he wants good people to suffer and doesn't feel like raising a hand to correct rights from wrongs.

Maybe he even gets a kick out of it. Who knows.

But in the end, everyone can just repent and go to heaven on a technicality anyways. That is why the wicked do not feel that their doom is pending.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:

Please define wicked.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,725 times
God is simply not interested in this thread. Otherwise he would make a post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity