Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethelight View Post
Ok so i am new to the forum..
for a christian forum.. i must admit, there is little compassion or gentleness being shown to one another.( so far with the little time i have spent)
correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the whole point of being christian ,to be fruitful and humble and loving?
or did i join at a bad time? is it usually more loving? are u guys stressed at this specific time?

I guess this is the internet and all kinds of things go on here.. but the forum said christianity and i cant seem to understand why so little love is being shown.
Interesting. I felt the very same way as you when I first joined. I was, to be honest, shocked at the behaviour of some. As Katzpur stated, there are many very loving souls on here and many of us have different beliefs but also some strong common denominators. You will find some posters that do not appear too loving but you will find in time that they too will show their softer side

Please don't let it stop shining your light. I have enjoyed your posts so far Welcome to the Forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Guilty as charged! I'm not a Christian and I often post here!
Yes - there is a lot of yelling and screaming and insulting - but I have found many kindred spirits here! There are some people that it is very difficult to have a cordial debate with - however, sometimes - even they can surprise you! It's those moments - the moments when you find yourself agreeing with someone who you never thought you'd see eye to eye with - that make it all worth it, in my opinion! And despite all the mud slinging - I've actually learned a lot here and have come to understand Christians much better than I did before.
Keep looking for the love - you'll find it! Go to the friendship thread or the Sacred Circle- we're all about the love!
Speaking of "kindred spirit"...(shivers!)...perfectly timed, thank you Dewdrop!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
If you want the Love of Christ, you need to become part of supportive loving local church. There are many.

Interweb forums are a place of debate and the sharing of nutty POVs.

The real world is where it's at. And BTW that is where God operates. I have never heard anyone say that they felt the Spirit move in their heart because of a post. It happens in real life, meat space if you will. Not in the e-world.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Welcome to this forum Lovethelight and also to Mainbrokerman who is also new to this forum but not to City Data..Everyone is correct on saying that despite the debates here that when a poster has a personal problem the love shows very brightly..

There are many different denominations and doctrines in Christianity that is what the debates are about here, but imo, so long as Christians remain Christ centered we are all in the same room and personally I have learned so much from many of the posters that has been very beneficial..

The non Christians are and have always been welcome to post here, their points and questions are valuable to me as I continue to learn which keeps this old mind active and a couple steps ahead of dementia

Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you want the Love of Christ, you need to become part of supportive loving local church. There are many.

Interweb forums are a place of debate and the sharing of nutty POVs.

The real world is where it's at. And BTW that is where God operates. I have never heard anyone say that they felt the Spirit move in their heart because of a post. It happens in real life, meat space if you will. Not in the e-world.
I beg to differ.

I have felt the Spirit move in my heart more and more after connecting with those of like mind over the net. I could not do so in "real life," as my beliefs and thoughts are pooh-poohed (to express indifference or impatience) by the majority. It is the majority that rules fundamental Christianity (or, maybe I should say their doctrine came about because of ruthless men that burned the "heretics" out of the system), just as anywhere else. And you don't get to be the majority by playing nice and sweet. It is pure manipulation, threats, and shunning in the end if you don't agree with the top level guys. The smiles don't fool me.

The internet has been a huge blessing for me.

Last edited by herefornow; 09-07-2010 at 08:13 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Welcome to this forum Lovethelight and also to Mainbrokerman who is also new to this forum but not to City Data..Everyone is correct on saying that despite the debates here that when a poster has a personal problem the love shows very brightly..

There are many different denominations and doctrines in Christianity that is what the debates are about here, but imo, so long as Christians remain Christ centered we are all in the same room and personally I have learned so much from many of the posters that has been very beneficial..

The non Christians are and have always been welcome to post here, their points and questions are valuable to me as I continue to learn which keeps this old mind active and a couple steps ahead of dementia
How true...Bless your heart Miss Blue!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM

409 posts, read 399,623 times
Quote:
for a christian forum.. i must admit, there is little compassion or gentleness being shown to one another.( so far with the little time i have spent)
correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the whole point of being christian ,to be fruitful and humble and loving?
or did i join at a bad time? is it usually more loving? are u guys stressed at this specific time?

I guess this is the internet and all kinds of things go on here.. but the forum said christianity and i cant seem to understand why so little love is being shown.
In Matthew 24:12, Jesus said that in the last days, the love of the greater number will cool off. That's evident everywhere.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
I'm new to the Religion forum myself. I must say I have been appalled at some of the bigotry and falsehoods/hatred directed at the Gay community. That said...I have also met some wonderful posters here and many loving and caring people.

I was brought up Roman Catholic...I left the Church right after confirmation, at 12 years old because of it's anti-gay preaching...it was either leave or forfeit my sanity; the church made me feel evil and treated "us" like lepers. This has caused me irrepairable emotional harm so I can never join my church again.

Now Catholism has toned down the hatred to...love the sinner but hate the sin...SORRY...that's still pretty nasty/judgemental IMHO. I do not believe in the Bible or a Biblical God. However I do believe in a supreme being or beings....basically whatever race is the oldest and hopefully wisest in our Universe, this is my God.....see my link.

I like talking here and sharing my beliefs with others....I am respectful of all people unless they disrespect me with ignorant anti-gay comments.... or post incorrect Scientific information(I feel we have a duty to teach our children the truth about the Universe and not fairy tales)I think we all can learn different viewpoints from each other. I live my life as a "christian" type of person.....in that I agree with what "Jesus"....stood for...Love, respect and harmony, without judging others and practicing bigotry etctera.

LORIEN would be "my God">>>>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorien_(Babylon_5)

Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM

41 posts, read 45,113 times
Perhaps a bar stool is where you had really rather be?
One does not have to be a Christian to post here.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:

Hi Lovethelight. Welcome. I can only speak for myself. I've been coming here less and less because I'm tired of the ETers constant message of condemnation. All their messages are the same - completely predictable. Why bother reading their posts. My lack of participation of late is the equivalent of plucking out my right eye. I don't want to look at the offensive thing continuously. Yes, I think there are times when this place is more loving - to answer your question about "the time" you have come.

Peace -
Heartsong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity