Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
There is such a being. You will find Him/Her if you are interested. And I think you are.

That is the truth of the matter.
Sure I am interested! However, Christianity (and every other form of religion on Earth) has been thoroughly debunked in the worst way. Again, research and personal experience has taught me this much. FWIW, I don't believe in the notion of blind faith. This (blind faith) is something that religions tend to thrive on. I believe that blind faith is slavery of the human spirit in the absolute worst form. True spirituality does not require faith IMO. Spirits are what we really are (no matter whether we have faith in this truth or not).

Simply put. It is kinda silly to me for someone to see a dead relative in a dream (like I did) and say "WOW, there is a God!!!". No no no no!!! How about actually seeing God in a dream huh? That's my point. If you have actually seen God, then more power to you.

For me, it is gonna take more than my spiritual awareness to believe in the sky man. I will have to see the sky man. Not an image on a slice of cheesecake. Not a dog that can perform miracles. Not a strange shaped cloud. I want to see the sky man himself. That will change my belief. Plain and simple. Why do I say this? Because 100% of the evidence (or better yet lack thereof) for the existence of God (the actual sky man) is contained within religious books full of bad translations that generally don't make much sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Sure I am interested! However, Christianity (and every other form of religion on Earth) has been thoroughly debunked in the worst way. Again, research and personal experience has taught me this much. FWIW, I don't believe in the notion of blind faith. This (blind faith) is something that religions tend to thrive on. I believe that blind faith is slavery of the human spirit in the absolute worst form. True spirituality does not require faith IMO. Spirits are what we really are (no matter whether we have faith in this truth or not).

Simply put. It is kinda silly to me for someone to see a dead relative in a dream (like I did) and say "WOW, there is a God!!!". No no no no!!! How about actually seeing God in a dream huh? That's my point. If you have actually seen God, then more power to you.

For me, it is gonna take more than my spiritual awareness to believe in the sky man. I will have to see the sky man. Not an image on a slice of cheesecake. Not a dog that can perform miracles. Not a strange shaped cloud. I want to see the sky man himself. That will change my belief. Plain and simple. Why do I say this? Because 100% of the evidence (or better yet lack thereof) for the existence of God (the actual sky man) is contained within religious books full of bad translations that generally don't make much sense at all.
Christianity is NOT based on blind faith. I wouldn't be a Christian if all I had was blind faith.

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Seek with all your heart and you'll find the truth.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:48 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

1.When you make sweeping generalizations like "Christianity and every other form of religion have been thoroughly debunked in the worst way" would you care to provide some examples?

2.Only Christians and other religious believers are slaves to their beliefs? How about Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Kim Il Sung, and their followers? You can't tell me they were not slaves to their beliefs (all atheists, btw) How many millions were killed in the 20th century by these devout atheists and their henchmen?

3.Not all faith is blind.

4."Spirits are what we really are" If there is no god, than only the physical (natural) universe exists. There cannot be any spirits if the only reality is the physical universe. For spirits to exist, there must be something beyond the physical, natural world. That means there must be a supernatural realm in which spirits exist. If the supernatural exists, then there must be a god. You cannot have it both ways.

5.Christians do not believe that god lives in the sky or that he is a man. Christians do believe that god became incarnate in the person of Jesus of Nazareth, if this is what you are referring to.

6. Can you give any examples of religious books that have been "badly translated"? This is a common critique of the Bible that has absolutely NO basis in fact. Religious texts around the world tend to be the most carefully and precisely translated documents there are. The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls proves how carefully the written word was transmitted thru the centuries

7.The one thing I agree with you is that seeing a religious image in a tortilla is a poor basis for your faith.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 AM

131 posts, read 114,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
I'd be willing to bet you could see a similar trick at any good Vegas magician act.

I mean, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but what you described sounds like a cross between a magician and a "psychic" like Jon Edwards.
^^^ Ditto

Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 AM

131 posts, read 114,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't usually come on this thread but I was intriqued by the title.

I was hoping to read some really good rational and evidence - based reason why someone could no longer adhere to agnosticism/atheism.

What do we get. Someone conned into Faith through a cheap stage trick. Sorry, but that is to me just symptomatic of the whole big con - trick that theism is.
^^^Ditto

Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Because there is a noticeable difference in my demeanor when I am involved in spiritual matters.

I even asked someone HOW she knew that I had gone to church, since they didn't go there, and I don't bring such things up. She just said, "I can see a change in you. I can always tell when you've gone, and when you haven't."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity