Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
And yet, you've TOTALLY NEGATED OR IGNORED the historical orgins of the Catholic church itself while bashing the Protestant church as somehow less Christian. Perhaps you should take the time to illuminate the origins of your own denomination. Take the time to investigate the actual origins of the Catholic church...how it was forced on people of that time...the crimes they committed in instituting the religion. Can you honestly say, this is Christ's church, what Jesus had in mind, given the way it was instituted by the Romans???? And I couldn't even begin to get started listing all the atrocities the Catholic church and it's representatives have committed over the centuries...and those that they continue to commit today. This thread is nothing but a Protestant bash fest and pure hogwash which has nothing to do with whether something is true or false.

Matthew 7:3 Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?
5 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

This is some pretty good advice Jesus left us with...perhaps you should quit ignoring it.
There is a log in my eye, but you can't see the forest for the trees.

Ad nauseum, has members of the Catholic Church done some bad things. YES. Has members of every organization done some bad things. Yes. But the primary job of the Catholic Church is to protect the faith and doctrine, which they have succeeded for almost 2000 years. Protestant stands on the shoulders of Catholocism. Without them, no Christ's word, no faith, no Bible, no salvation.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
There is a log in my eye, but you can't see the forest for the trees.

Ad nauseum, has members of the Catholic Church done some bad things. YES. Has members of every organization done some bad things. Yes. But the primary job of the Catholic Church is to protect the faith and doctrine, which they have succeeded for almost 2000 years. Protestant stands on the shoulders of Catholocism. Without them, no Christ's word, no faith, no Bible, no salvation.

It's obvious we can't have a serious conversation....especially when one refuses to acknowledge the Catholic church's spurious origins.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 09-23-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
It's obvious we can't have a serious conversation....especially when one refuses to acknowledge the Catholic church's spurious origins.
I guess you think Jesus is spurious and I have to agree with you to have a serious dialogue.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
I guess you think Jesus is spurious.
We are not discussing Jesus....we are discussing the spurious origins of the Catholic church....HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Because someone has to do it. Catholic leadership plays nice nice to keep dialogue open and there's nothing wrong with that. But to me that just hides the fact the Catholic Church can indeed be historically followed right up to Christ's death. No other Church can claim that, except for maybe a slew of Orthodox churces. I am certainly not holier than any protestant. I was merely illuminating the origins of many of the protestant denominations which start essentially on hearsay. That is my point. Do you go to Christ's Church or do you go to some self proclaimed prophets church. Maybe you shouldn't take your books or elders word for it and dig for yourself? And if you can't trust the reasons for it's origin, how can you possibly trust it's beliefs and values. Did I think, everyone was going to go, you know, he's right. No. But one person may take a deeper look and that's good enough for me. I am not playing the I'm better than you game. I am talking about true and false. Critical for the fullness of grace and ulimately for salvation, I might add. Is that not the reason for being Christians?

I don't really care if you like me. I am merely stating historical, logical, and spiritual truth.
What does that have anything to do with anything? I just think that when you post threads bashing others, it reflects poorly on you. I'm not religious - so it makes no difference to me what your views are. But I think people are more likely to actually listen to someone when they aren't putting others down and saying "I'm right and you're wrong! So there!" In my life, I've found that when you insult people - they get defensive. When you listen to others, when you respect others, when you don't elevate yourself above others - that's when you can learn and teach and grow.
I don't know you so I can't say whether I like you or don't like you. I will say that you seem very angry and have an air of superiority in your posts. But like I said, I actually don't know you. Maybe you aren't like that at all. However, I guess you should know that that is how you are coming off. Sometimes we aren't aware of how we appear to others. I think people will take you more seriously and actually think about what you say if you weren't putting everyone else down.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
We are not discussing Jesus....we are discussing the spurious origins of the Catholic church....HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Jesus created the Catholic Church as described in Matthew 16:13-19. Officially began to function on Pentecost in 33 A.D.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What does that have anything to do with anything? I just think that when you post threads bashing others, it reflects poorly on you. I'm not religious - so it makes no difference to me what your views are. But I think people are more likely to actually listen to someone when they aren't putting others down and saying "I'm right and you're wrong! So there!" In my life, I've found that when you insult people - they get defensive. When you listen to others, when you respect others, when you don't elevate yourself above others - that's when you can learn and teach and grow.
I don't know you so I can't say whether I like you or don't like you. I will say that you seem very angry and have an air of superiority in your posts. But like I said, I actually don't know you. Maybe you aren't like that at all. However, I guess you should know that that is how you are coming off. Sometimes we aren't aware of how we appear to others. I think people will take you more seriously and actually think about what you say if you weren't putting everyone else down.
You're absolutely right.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
You're not religious?! Then go away. This is a Christian forum, if you haven't noticed. Your opinion is useless here. Move on. Move up one layer go no lower than Religion and Philosophy. Heck, if you don't know anything about plumbing, go troll the plumbing forum.
Thank you for your kind and loving words. You are truly a role model for all to look up to.
If you are trying to sell people on your particular religion - you might want to rethink your approach! In case you didn't know - everyone on this forum - the Atheist/Agnostic, the R&P main forum, and the Christian forum - everyone thinks that they are right! Everyone believes that they know the truth. Some think that there is more than one truth, some people think that there is only one and that they know it.
Most people here actually like me and like what I post. I've had wonderful discussions and debates with people of all beliefs and faiths. And I think that there are very few people here that think my opinion is worthless. And everyone knows I'm not a troll! But please, feel free to hate me and treat me like dirt. I actually don't mind.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Jesus created the Catholic Church as described in Matthew 16:13-19. Officially began to function on Pentecost in 33 A.D.
Jesus did not create the Catholic Church, juj. He created His Church. He did not call it the Catholic Church and it did not include many of the doctrines or practices Catholicism holds to today. While I respect the fact that you believe you have an unbroken line of authority originating with Peter, I don't believe you're right. At any rate, for you to state that "Jesus created the Catholic Church" is a enormous stretch. Do you have any idea how many different Christian denominations there were, even at the end of the first century? "The Church" was unbelievably splintered even at that early date. Why should I believe yours is the one He started?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM

95 posts, read 162,541 times
Quote:
Yes, we are all Christian brothers and sisters, but the path was laid out for centuries and now it is just refuted and morphed at every turn. Jesus created One Church, One Truth. It is the Catholic Church. EVERY protestant church was created by a MAN with a Bible and an opinion. You must see the danger and error in this approach to Christianity. Your call....free will and all.
I strongly disagree as a Lutheran Catholic. The popes are men who have the responsibility to lead the Church just like archbishops and bishops do in some Protestant [Lutheran, Anglican] or Orthodox churches. To suggest otherwise is quite presumptuous and arrogant I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity