Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What does that have anything to do with anything? I just think that when you post threads bashing others, it reflects poorly on you. I'm not religious - so it makes no difference to me what your views are. But I think people are more likely to actually listen to someone when they aren't putting others down and saying "I'm right and you're wrong! So there!" In my life, I've found that when you insult people - they get defensive. When you listen to others, when you respect others, when you don't elevate yourself above others - that's when you can learn and teach and grow.
I don't know you so I can't say whether I like you or don't like you. I will say that you seem very angry and have an air of superiority in your posts. But like I said, I actually don't know you. Maybe you aren't like that at all. However, I guess you should know that that is how you are coming off. Sometimes we aren't aware of how we appear to others. I think people will take you more seriously and actually think about what you say if you weren't putting everyone else down.
The purpose of this thread isn't to "bash others," it's to raise the issue of sola scriptura. This is an important issue to Christians, although since you are not Christian yourself I realise you may not realise this. This is a Christianity forum where theological points like this are discussed on a regular basis, and it is only appropriate.

I realise that you feel that it is a thread that intends to "bash others" and you certainly have the right to express those feelings.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:31 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Jesus created the Catholic Church as described in Matthew 16:13-19. Officially began to function on Pentecost in 33 A.D.
I know that you believe that...but I can assure you, there are hundreds of thousands of Christians who would absolutely disagree with you. There were many different sects of Christianity in the first century and to blatantly call the Catholic church the one Jesus created is not only preposterous it is absolutely false. I'm quite sure the RCC was NOT what Jesus had in mind when he preached his message of LOVE....the spurious origins of the Catholic church and all of the pagan rituals they incorporated into their worship more than prove that.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Thank you for your kind and loving words. You are truly a role model for all to look up to.
If you are trying to sell people on your particular religion - you might want to rethink your approach! In case you didn't know - everyone on this forum - the Atheist/Agnostic, the R&P main forum, and the Christian forum - everyone thinks that they are right! Everyone believes that they know the truth. Some think that there is more than one truth, some people think that there is only one and that they know it.
Most people here actually like me and like what I post. I've had wonderful discussions and debates with people of all beliefs and faiths. And I think that there are very few people here that think my opinion is worthless. And everyone knows I'm not a troll! But please, feel free to hate me and treat me like dirt. I actually don't mind.
Ms. Dew...do not let egotistical trolls like that bother you...cause we love you just the way you are!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Many years ago:
Shakespeare: That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet.

Person: So, Mr. Shakespeare, what does that mean?

Shakespeare: It means that no matter what you call it, it is still the essense of what it is and that essense is undeniable. Of course when the character Juliet was saying that, she was also referring to Romeo and that while he was a Montague, he was still a good person. Another way to put it is: if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Person: That makes sense. I understand.

Today:
Protestant: So what does Mr. Shakepeare mean with that rose thing?

Fellow Protestant: Well, I mostly read the play and I believe it means, it doesn't matter what kind of greenery you plant next to the rose, it will always smell so beautiful.

Protestant: So it was a gardening tip. That makes sense. You know, I believe you are right. But I don't believe that's what other people think that Shakespeare meant. But, I know they're wrong. You should write your own book describing what you just said and we could start a whole new understanding of Romeo and Juliet. You are the man. Are you a prophet or something?
Wow. Simply wow. I simply don't know whether you are lazy or just choose to live in ignorance. Because your blanket observations are typically so far off the mark, I'm just guessing that you're detached from reality.

If I were using your same approach in talking about Catholics, I would make the statement that all Catholic priests are spoiling to bugger the altar boys at the first opportunity, with the Vatican looking on with approval. After all, if a few think that way, then everybody thinks that way, right?

In short, what is this pathological need you have to smear fellow Christians, and not even do a good job of it?

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-24-2010 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Jesus did not create the Catholic Church, juj. He created His Church. He did not call it the Catholic Church and it did not include many of the doctrines or practices Catholicism holds to today. While I respect the fact that you believe you have an unbroken line of authority originating with Peter, I don't believe you're right. At any rate, for you to state that "Jesus created the Catholic Church" is a enormous stretch. Do you have any idea how many different Christian denominations there were, even at the end of the first century? "The Church" was unbelievably splintered even at that early date. Why should I believe yours is the one He started?
It wasn't called the Catholic Church right away. (What was that Shakespeare line?) That came at least by the turn of the first century. At least that's when it showed up in writings. Things stated usually precede anything in writing so it could very well be earlier than that. Our liturgy of the Mass that we still use today had major contributions from Justin Martyr and Clement of Rome. So by the second century, the contents of the Mass was pretty much baked in. In the second century there was ONE Church. The Catholic Church. So it IS the church that Jesus created, isn't it? What Church and faith do you think Paul was defending in many of his writings to Corinth and other remote districts to keep the faith whole and true? Yes, the Catholic Church or Universal Church, because it can be no other since that is all that there was.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
I strongly disagree as a Lutheran Catholic. The popes are men who have the responsibility to lead the Church just like archbishops and bishops do in some Protestant [Lutheran, Anglican] or Orthodox churches. To suggest otherwise is quite presumptuous and arrogant I'm afraid.
What do you disagree on? That there can only be one leader defending one truth? So you believe that it's perfectly okay that mulitple leaders defend multiple truths. Makes perfect sense to me. Aren't we at the crux of the problem here?

Oh, and by the way, I was Lutheran before I was Catholic. And being a Lutheran Catholic or high-church Lutheran makes less sense to me than being Pentecostal. If your that catholic, BE Catholic!!! Why stop two feet away.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
This is just another of those Catholics are better than everyone else threads...
At the very least, it is an attack on Protestantism.

Funny how Catholics always cry "foul" when the slightest thing is said in opposition to RCC beliefs, but then they go and start anti-Protestant threads themselves. I think there's a phrase which describes that. Wait for it...wait for it....

*coughhypocrisycough*

There it is.

Or is it "double standard"?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It wasn't called the Catholic Church right away. (What was that Shakespeare line?) That came at least by the turn of the first century. At least that's when it showed up in writings. Things stated usually precede anything in writing so it could very well be earlier than that. Our liturgy of the Mass that we still use today had major contributions from Justin Martyr and Clement of Rome. So by the second century, the contents of the Mass was pretty much baked in. In the second century there was ONE Church. The Catholic Church. So it IS the church that Jesus created, isn't it? What Church and faith do you think Paul was defending in many of his writings to Corinth and other remote districts to keep the faith whole and true? Yes, the Catholic Church or Universal Church, because it can be no other since that is all that there was.
I believe you are having difficulty distinguishing between a Universal church (one where all believers are united)....one of which, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN (not even in the First Century)...and the Catholic church. The only time you will find unity in the history of the RCC is when they took control by FORCE....by the execution of all those who opposed them and by the destruction of all materials that opposed it's position. Surely, I don't have to list the various and sundry atrocities that were commited by them over the centuries in the name of their religion.

Now, while you are certainly entitled to live delusionally, thinking that the RCC is exactly what Jesus planned and had in mind from the beginning....we all know that history tells us quite a different tale.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
At the very least, it is an attack on Protestantism.

Funny how Catholics always cry "foul" when the slightest thing is said in opposition to RCC beliefs, but then they go and start anti-Protestant threads themselves. I think there's a phrase which describes that. Wait for it...wait for it....

*coughhypocrisycough*

There it is.

Or is it "double standard"?
Yes...it seems they really despise being validly knocked down from their very high pedestal, where they tend to place themselves above everyone else....go figure.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
I don't understand why the Mods haven't closed this thread. Since when can we start threads attacking other denominations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity