Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:02 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Who believes that Speaking in Tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit (different from the fruits of the Spirit) and that the gifts of the Holy Spirit e.g. prophecy, tongues . . are still in operation today?
I do. Many Baptists don't. This is what they have been taught. I suggest you ask God to give you every single thing He desires you to have. I don't want to miss out on anything He has for me.

You will find empassioned debate backed with scripture on both sides of this issue. This argument comes up regularly on this forum. Like clockwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 05:43 AM

5 posts, read 7,464 times
Hi,

I am a new member to this forum, only joined today and already I find myself getting involved in a mater of what I see to be a very delicate subject.
I am a believer in God, but how I worship, praise, follow or pass on Gods love and healing, is, I think a very personnal and perhaps in some ways a very private affair.
God speaks to us all in many different ways, and uses us all in different ways. When I was in my twenties I saw myself as a Christian, but as I went through lifes journey, God has not only showed me many things and ways which before I could not or would not see, but has also blessed me with different gifts. I do not speak in tongues, but I do do healing, (yes by laying my hands on people) I have healing myself, and have had things healed on my body which after attending my local medical centre for 12 months got me know where.
I don't think we can go around saying if you do this, or if you believe that then it is not of God, "In my fathers house are many rooms" to me that says that there are many ways God uses us to show people his love, what is suitable for some may not suit others, after all as they say, " The world don't beat to the sound of just one drum."

Old 10-17-2010, 06:05 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I'm afraid I think it is nonsense. About as Godly as snake worshipping, and faith healing. A behavior performed by easily manipulated folks who want to appear holier than thou. I would not set foot into a church which had this type of behavior going on.

I don't like the arm waving thing either. It just looks like posturing to show others how much holier I am than you.

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-17-2010 at 06:28 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 AM

4 posts, read 4,059 times
"Note how there is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit by way of Jesus Christ upon salvation, thus the reason why it is considered the "one hope of our calling".

I never heard that one before. What about Paul's writing in I Corinthians NOT to forbid tongues. Tongues was not just a known foreign language - there is a private prayer language given by the Holy Spirit. Most cessationists will use only the last half of I Corinthians 14:40 "let everything be done decently and in order", but the first half of that same scripture says "so my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues. In Acts 19, Simon the sorcerer observed the laying on of hands to receive the Holy Spirit and he saw something that he knew with his magic he couldn't do - was it speaking in tongues??? I think yes.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggymoo View Post
"Note how there is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit by way of Jesus Christ upon salvation, thus the reason why it is considered the "one hope of our calling".

I never heard that one before. What about Paul's writing in I Corinthians NOT to forbid tongues. Tongues was not just a known foreign language - there is a private prayer language given by the Holy Spirit. Most cessationists will use only the last half of I Corinthians 14:40 "let everything be done decently and in order", but the first half of that same scripture says "so my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues. In Acts 19, Simon the sorcerer observed the laying on of hands to receive the Holy Spirit and he saw something that he knew with his magic he couldn't do was it speaking in tongues??? I think yes.
This is utter nonsense!!! Speaking in tongues ONLY referred to the ability to communicate in actual foreign languages so the Gospel would be understood by them. Prayer language my foot! Prayer is supposed to be done in private . . . not as a spectacle and public disgrace of gibberish and superstition.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,059 times
Default Nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is utter nonsense!!! Speaking in tongues ONLY referred to the ability to communicate in actual foreign languages so the Gospel would be understood by them. Prayer language my foot! Prayer is supposed to be done in private . . . not as a spectacle and public disgrace of gibberish and superstition.
Paul didn't think so. If it was always actual foreign language, then what "foreign language" do you suppose the Corinthians were speaking in their worship services, if there were no foreign people present? Why would the HS give someone a foreign language with no foreigners present? And what about Acts 19:6 when Paul layed hands on the Ephesian believers, why would they speak in foreign languages when there were no reported foreigners around? They spoke in tongues, an unknown language.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggymoo View Post
Paul didn't think so. If it was always actual foreign language, then what "foreign language" do you suppose the Corinthians were speaking in their worship services, if there were no foreign people present? Why would the HS give someone a foreign language with no foreigners present?
It never happened lest there was at least one or more there who understood or knew the language.
Quote:
And what about Acts 19:6 when Paul layed hands on the Ephesian believers, why would they speak in foreign languages when there were no reported foreigners around? They spoke in tongues, an unknown language.
Nonsense . . . the "reporting" that there were foreigners around was because there was a need to speak in tongues. There was no separate need to "report" that there were foreigners there. The gibberish is a stupid superstitious practice for superficial show of supposed holiness in front of others and they have their reward from it . . . as did the ancients who paraded around. It is NOT prayer and it is not real.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:23 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times
Default Speaking in Tongues!

It was necessary for the 12 Apostles to speak in tongues in order that ALL hearers from different places speaking different languages could avail the "Good News" to ALL mankind.
It is a gift indeed to speak different languages simultaneously to communicate. To speak in a gibbirish manner serves no purpose whatsoever...it only brings fear and suspicion to the ones who are present.

Europeans have to learn at least 5 languages to talk to their neighbors...

Peace!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 50,202 times
I have the gift of tongue. I believe it is a gift from the spirit. It isnt something you can control. There is no on or off switch. There are times when i pray out loud and its just a normal "word" prayer, but at times without thinking consciously I pray in tongue. It is a blessing gift from God, but like the bible says even though you may have the gift of tongue it doesnt mean you are more gifted then anyone else.

Whenever I pray in tongue, I do not know what I am saying, this is something only God understands. Apostle Paul said that with the gift of tongue you do not know what you are saying, so therefore it does only soo much for us as Christian (because it not like we understand what we are praying about.)

So what Paul is saying is that with the gift of tongue, it does only so much. He wants everyone one to know and realize that we all have gifts in which we were blessed with. Whether it is the gift of encouraging our fellow brothers and sisters, gift of compassion, love, having grace upon others, being stewards, etc. Therefore when Paul was writing letters to the churches and preaching about God, he wanted to remind everyone that we are all blessed with God's gifts therefore we all should go out and use our gifts and go spread the word of christ.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm afraid I think it is nonsense. About as Godly as snake worshipping, and faith healing. A behavior performed by easily manipulated folks who want to appear holier than thou. I would not set foot into a church which had this type of behavior going on.

I don't like the arm waving thing either. It just looks like posturing to show others how much holier I am than you.
I went to an Assembly of God church, with a friend, when I was young, and the whole service scared the p out of me! When the preacher said "It's time to pray", I bent my head to pray silently, but, everyone else was screaming, crying, rolling down the aisles (they really were) and praying in tongues. I couldn't even hear myself think, much less pray!

You are not to bring chaos into a church, or call attention to yourself. Thats in the bible somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity