Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:13 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I went to an Assembly of God church, with a friend, when I was young, and the whole service scared the p out of me! When the preacher said "It's time to pray", I bent my head to pray silently, but, everyone else was screaming, crying, rolling down the aisles (they really were) and praying in tongues. I couldn't even hear myself think, much less pray!

You are not to bring chaos into a church, or call attention to yourself. Thats in the bible somewhere.

Scribes have already brought so much confusion by their mistranslations of the scripture...why would God exacerbate that by giving a gift that is of naught???

Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tmarund View Post
I have the gift of tongue. I believe it is a gift from the spirit. It isnt something you can control. There is no on or off switch. There are times when i pray out loud and its just a normal "word" prayer, but at times without thinking consciously I pray in tongue. It is a blessing gift from God, but like the bible says even though you may have the gift of tongue it doesnt mean you are more gifted then anyone else.

Whenever I pray in tongue, I do not know what I am saying, this is something only God understands. Apostle Paul said that with the gift of tongue you do not know what you are saying, so therefore it does only soo much for us as Christian (because it not like we understand what we are praying about.)

So what Paul is saying is that with the gift of tongue, it does only so much. He wants everyone one to know and realize that we all have gifts in which we were blessed with. Whether it is the gift of encouraging our fellow brothers and sisters, gift of compassion, love, having grace upon others, being stewards, etc. Therefore when Paul was writing letters to the churches and preaching about God, he wanted to remind everyone that we are all blessed with God's gifts therefore we all should go out and use our gifts and go spread the word of christ.
::Sigh::

Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,245 times
Default Great Talk That Deserves Real Experts Preaching Only?

A gift is never a fruit of the Holy Spirit-----Romans 11:29

I should get paid for preaching this good but this site bans encouraging
this------1 Cor. 9.

The exception to this is the gift of eternal life with Jesus or
God---John 3:16.

Fruit save you not gifts----John 8:31.

Even to get the real gift of grace you need fruit----Romans 6:1.

We have people today that feel you can't really pray without going into tongues like them.

We have people today that feel you can't really preach without going into tongues like them.

We have people today that feel your not saved or blessed like them unless you go off into tongues like them.

I proved the child of the devil a lier here------James 5:20 & John 8:44.
I proved the child of the devil a lier here-----Psalms 107:2 & 1 John 2:27

Heaven can't preach a real Matthew 5:6 sermon until we get God's sheep
hearing and preaching ALL of 1 Cor. 12 and ALL of 1 Cor. 14.

God's sheep referring to those who hear him in the book----John 10.

You don't then 2 Cor. 4:3 is talking against you.

Make no difference how many sermons by great teachers is
made for them----Titus 3:10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Who believes that Speaking in Tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit (different from the fruits of the Spirit) and that the gifts of the Holy Spirit e.g. prophecy, tongues . . are still in operation today?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Who believes that Speaking in Tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit (different from the fruits of the Spirit) and that the gifts of the Holy Spirit e.g. prophecy, tongues . . are still in operation today?
I believe that it is a gift, but I do believe that a person can use what they are hearing in there head that is not coming from the Holy Spirit. So many miss use what they think they are hearing as nothing more but there thoughts. The devil can counterfeit the gift of tongues.

I have only heard of stories and haven't experienced it myself of people who are speaking something demonic.

So, I don't just blurt out what I think is a tongue, I ask the Holy Spirit to help me saw what He wants for me to say. I speak what I hear in my Spirit. But I also do believe that if you can't interpret the tongue then you should speak what the Holy Spirit tells you but only to speak it in a silent manner, because if there is no one to interpret it, then the tongue you are speaking is not doing anyone any good.

But I also do believe that you can speak to God by speaking in tongues and it doesn't have to be interpreted. It would just be between you and God. But Paul explains all of that in the bible. I hope that I was clear have a nice day.

I believe that prophesy and the other gifts are in operation also.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:11 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,245 times
Default Who Just Believe Anything In The Book Period !!

Any Holy Spirit talking got to have some book with it---John 6:63.

Otherwise we in the flesh on what we claim we heard of
God---Romans 10:17.

We have gifted people not believing the church government rules with the gifts today.

Only evidence of what they not---John 8:31.

Flattery is what any big shot can have---Romans 11:29.

Geniune unity clicks with people is the church movement
message today---John 17 and Amos 3:3 and 2 Cor. 3

Before we can have real unity clicks with God's people we
got to know in the book enough if they are God's people or
not-----1 Thess. 5:22 and John 8:31.

Since real unity clicks with God's people is the message for
going to heaven too we can't do it with a 1 on 1 with
God only---John 17 and Psalms 133:1.

Therefore the people chemistry effort is something to long for
in God enough----Matthew 5:6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I believe that it is a gift, but I do believe that a person can use what they are hearing in there head that is not coming from the Holy Spirit. So many miss use what they think they are hearing as nothing more but there thoughts. The devil can counterfeit the gift of tongues.

I have only heard of stories and haven't experienced it myself of people who are speaking something demonic.

So, I don't just blurt out what I think is a tongue, I ask the Holy Spirit to help me saw what He wants for me to say. I speak what I hear in my Spirit. But I also do believe that if you can't interpret the tongue then you should speak what the Holy Spirit tells you but only to speak it in a silent manner, because if there is no one to interpret it, then the tongue you are speaking is not doing anyone any good.

But I also do believe that you can speak to God by speaking in tongues and it doesn't have to be interpreted. It would just be between you and God. But Paul explains all of that in the bible. I hope that I was clear have a nice day.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I do. Many Baptists don't. This is what they have been taught. I suggest you ask God to give you every single thing He desires you to have. I don't want to miss out on anything He has for me.

You will find empassioned debate backed with scripture on both sides of this issue. This argument comes up regularly on this forum. Like clockwork.
Thank you . . .

Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post

I agree . . .

Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 6,791 times
This video might help you all to see the subject alittle clearer

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="YouTube - The Baptism of the Holy Ghost" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
The spiritual gifts have ceased.

The miracles of the New Testament can not be replicated. No one can raise a person from the dead. No one can drink deadly poison and live. If you believe that, then you are deluding yourselves. Satan is allowing you to believe a lie.

9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:23 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

Scribes have already brought so much confusion by their mistranslations of the scripture...why would God exacerbate that by giving a gift that is of naught???

Peace!
Not to mention that a woman is to keep silent in the assembly. Paul is very clear on that. Yet they claim to speak in tongues and they do it during worship. Unless there is someone who can interpret, it is useless.

Tongues were for unbelievers, not for believers.

Just watching a You Tube video of it was enough for me.

We had a lady come to our services a month ago. She left the charismatic group nearby. She said the preacher screamed, and was all sweaty, and preached money, money, money. Everyone was talking in tongues (or so they claimed), they had a rock n' roll band, and women were dancing and shaking their buties like there was no tomorrow. It was total chaos. It disgusted her so much, she vowed to never return. She has been with us since.

I have noticed that more and more in the area where I live, that the "gifts" thing is disappearing. People are wising up and realizing that it is fake. People are not stupid. They eventually see through the fog.

I can't imagine that being acceptable worship to our Heavenly Father.

There is no reason for speaking in tongues or having the other supernatural gifts today. God's Word is complete. There are no new revelations.

People who claim to have these gifts are being sent a powerful delusion by God, and they believe the lie.

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity