Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Josephus, writing sometime near the beginning of the second century, had this to say about the Pharisees ...
The pharisees adopted many of their doctrines from the "Parsee" sect of Zoroastrianism which was in Babylon during the Israels captivity there.

Note the similarity in words, Parsee, Farsi, Pharisee ... Etc ...
Hi Ironmaw1776,

Now I'm starting to think that Jesus' words here are also closely related to John 8, where he tells the religious leaders that since they think they see, they are therefore blind.
This may be a part of their hypocrisy, since they teach about things they don't even understand!

And I think it can also be concluded, that the religious leaders of Christianity are also blind, since they say that they see.

The Bible can blind people!
And there's a lot of blindness in fundamentalist religion.

Blessings of His mercy,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Default Be Wary of the Doctrine of Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Now I'm starting to think that Jesus' words here are also closely related to John 8, where he tells the religious leaders that since they think they see, they are therefore blind.
This may be a part of their hypocrisy, since they teach about things they don't even understand!

And I think it can also be concluded, that the religious leaders of Christianity are also blind, since they say that they see.

The Bible can blind people!
And there's a lot of blindness in fundamentalist religion.

Blessings of His mercy,
brian
Matthew 23:1-39 "Jesus Characterizes the Pharisees"

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

Obviously...the passage ^^^ pertains to the 1st organized religion...Judaism.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your father, which is in heaven.

Does the ^^^ pertain to the religion of today...founded after the ascension of Christ...whosoever calls the leaders "father?"

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is is your Master, even Christ.

Does verse 10 pertain to the branches of religion so many embrace today?

Summary: 15...ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

~Love God and your Neighbor as you Love Yourself...our guide.

Peace!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Please explain your conclusions on the matter? ... What is your opinion about it?
The doctrine of the P & S was without life....as per the resurrection of the dead. Jews are the audience, and they are the subject of this matter.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The doctrine of the P & S was without life....as per the resurrection of the dead. Jews are the audience, and they are the subject of this matter.
The disciples of Christ were told to beware of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The disciples of Christ were told to beware of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
It wasn't in reference to the after-life, but rather to THIS life. Jesus never once admonished the Sadducees for their beliefs. He rather admonished them for their lack of LOVE and their ability to control others, for gain. This was foretold in Jeremiah 8

Jer 8:8
"How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has MADE IT INTO A LIE.
"The wise men are put to shame, They are dismayed and caught; Behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD, And what kind of wisdom do they have?
"Therefore I will give their wives to others, Their fields to new owners; Because from the least even to the greatest Everyone is greedy for gain; From the prophet even to the priest Everyone practices deceit.
"They heal the brokenness of the daughter of My people superficially, Saying, 'Peace, peace,' But there is no peace.
"Were they ashamed because of the abomination they had done? They certainly were not ashamed, And they did not know how to blush; Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; At the time of their punishment they shall be brought down," Says the LORD.
"I will surely snatch them away," declares the LORD; "There will be no grapes on the vine And no figs on the fig tree, And the leaf will wither; And what I have given them will pass away."'"

So, as you should plainly see, Jesus was NOT talking about the after-life.

Being a whitewashed tomb, is a person who is empty of love, yet says he loves. Maybe you see, perhaps you don't.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
It wasn't in reference to the after-life, but rather to THIS life. Jesus never once admonished the Sadducees for their beliefs. He rather admonished them for their lack of LOVE and their ability to control others, for gain. This was foretold in Jeremiah 8

Jer 8:8
"How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has MADE IT INTO A LIE.
"The wise men are put to shame, They are dismayed and caught; Behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD, And what kind of wisdom do they have?
"Therefore I will give their wives to others, Their fields to new owners; Because from the least even to the greatest Everyone is greedy for gain; From the prophet even to the priest Everyone practices deceit.
"They heal the brokenness of the daughter of My people superficially, Saying, 'Peace, peace,' But there is no peace.
"Were they ashamed because of the abomination they had done? They certainly were not ashamed, And they did not know how to blush; Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; At the time of their punishment they shall be brought down," Says the LORD.
"I will surely snatch them away," declares the LORD; "There will be no grapes on the vine And no figs on the fig tree, And the leaf will wither; And what I have given them will pass away."'"

So, as you should plainly see, Jesus was NOT talking about the after-life.

Being a whitewashed tomb, is a person who is empty of love, yet says he loves. Maybe you see, perhaps you don't.

The Saducee's did not even believe in the resurrection of the dead, at all ...

I think Jesus in fact had many problems with the Saducee's teachings concerning life after death, or the lack thereof.

You Guys are competent with diversionary tactics ....

Care to answer the real issue concerning the false doctrines of the Saducess and in particular, the leaven of the Pharisees?

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 10-08-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Wrong. Please read this again:

Matthew 22:23-46 KJV The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, (24) Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. (25) Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: (26) Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. (27) And last of all the woman died also. (28) Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. (29) Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. (30) For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. (31) But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, (32) I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. (33) And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

The Sadducees didn't believe there was a resurrection because they believed in eternal annihilation. Jesus proved them wrong. Beward of the leaven/teaching of those Sadducees and Pharisees!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Wrong. Please read this again:

Matthew 22:23-46 KJV The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, (24) Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. (25) Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: (26) Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. (27) And last of all the woman died also. (28) Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. (29) Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. (30) For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. (31) But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, (32) I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. (33) And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

The Sadducees didn't believe there was a resurrection because they believed in eternal annihilation. Jesus proved them wrong. Beward of the leaven/teaching of those Sadducees and Pharisees!
Actually, they didn't believe in annihilation, they just believed in death. To be annihilated, you must be ressurected, and then snuffed out of existence. Nice try though.

And notice Jesus stating the correct doctrine, not bashing them for theirs.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
The Sadducee's did not even believe in the resurrection of the dead, at all ...
Agreed. They didn't.

Quote:
I think Jesus in fact had many problems with the Sadducee's teachings concerning life after death, or the lack thereof.
Well, opinions vary. There are many cultures out there who don't believe in the after-life.

Quote:
You Guys are competent with diversionary tactics ....
Touché.

Quote:
Care to answer the real issue concerning the false doctrines of the Sadducee's and in particular, the leaven of the Pharisees?
I did, thank you. It was a false pretense and a lack of love for monies and power. They wanted TO BE SERVED, instead TO serve. Why don't you take the time to actually read it.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, they didn't believe in annihilation, they just believed in death. To be annihilated, you must be ressurected, and then snuffed out of existence. Nice try though.

And notice Jesus stating the correct doctrine, not bashing them for theirs.
The Sadducees believed when you're dead you're dead for good. That, my friend, is annihilation. They believed in No resurrection

Act 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, nor an angel, nor a spirit, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all.

Last edited by Eusebius; 10-08-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity