Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No I do not believe in a 6,000 year old earth. I believe in evolution.

I see no conflict between the teachings of Christ and evolution.
Same here.

Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. 1John 3:2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,634,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrolsoul View Post
I would very much like to hear the evidence for an earth that is 6,000 years old.

Given what we know about how long allele frequencies take to shift, and given that we know we share common lineage with the other great apes (from pseudogenes and the fused "extra" chromosomes), the earth has to be at least millions of years old. There is also strong evidence for the earth being very old given what we know about geology and the processes involved in moving plates and mountains forming. Also, we know experimentally what the speed of light is. We also know that we are receiving light from objects that are millions of light years away.

Unless you believe that God is leaving false evidence to deceive us, which would be blasphemy in my view. You also cannot say Satan did it, because that would mean Satan had a hand in our creation, which would go against the Bible as well.

In my view, young-earth creationism is an edifice necessary for evolution deniers. For nobody - even the most devout young-earth creationist-denies that microevolutoin takes place at the genetic level. After all we all see in our own lives with family and pets phenotypic variations between generations, and it is undisputed that genetic code is the means whereby these phenotypic variations occur. Once you acknowledge microevolution (which, again, nobody denies), then if you assume the earth were billions of years old, macroevolution becomes very very obvious and evolution deniers lose their argument. It is impossible that the earth were billions of years old and evolution did not occur, in other words. Thus, YEC is necessary to maintain the web of belief among antievolutionists.

This was all by way of description, by the way, and I am in no way passing judgment on YECs.

I mostly agreed. There are problems with evolution particularly at the beginning, but after that it seems possible.

As far as age of the Earth, there's also reversing universe expansion age calculations and also the hydrogen to helium ratio in the sun and hydrogen consumption calculations. That along with radioactive isotope dating, takes the earth and the universe well into the billions of years. And they all seem to agree. That's what makes it irrefutable.

Last edited by juj; 11-13-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 AM

910 posts, read 1,339,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Agreed. There's also reversing universe expansion age calculations and also the hydrogen to helium ratio in the sun and hydrogen consumption calculations. That along with radioactive isotope dating, takes the earth and the universe well into the billions of years. And they all seem to agree. That's what makes it irrefutable.
Mankind is @ 6000years but the bible never tried to date the earth, which could be billions of years old.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Mankind is @ 6000years but the bible never tried to date the earth, which could be billions of years old.
That's reasonable

Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,634,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
I like it.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,936,273 times
That's "reasonable" and you "like it?" Completely discounting all evidence to the contrary such as Lucy, and much older humans that have been found recently. Do you enjoy living in denial and dumbing yourselves down?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
That's "reasonable" and you "like it?" Completely discounting all evidence to the contrary such as Lucy, and much older humans that have been found recently. Do you enjoy living in denial and dumbing yourselves down?
Yes

Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
There is no need for condescension. The existence of physical precursors to our physical vessels doesn't NECESSARILY have anything to do with when those vessels were "breathed living souls." Prior to having "living souls" . . . they could just as easily be considered nothing more than products of the "dust of the earth." An exclusive focus on the carnal or physical can be unnecessarily blinding or lead to myopic speculation. Just saying!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no need for condescension. The existence of physical precursors to our physical vessels doesn't NECESSARILY have anything to do with when those vessels were "breathed living souls." Prior to having "living souls" . . . they could just as easily be considered nothing more than products of the "dust of the earth." An exclusive focus on the carnal or physical can be unnecessarily blinding or lead to myopic speculation. Just saying!
Imcurious and imalsocondescending just seems a strange thing to me , just like imanape and imalsoaman does too .

Old 11-13-2010, 02:00 PM

701 posts, read 801,200 times
I believe that this planet and our universe could very well be significantly older than 6000 years, however, I do not belief that life on this planet is older than approx 6,000 years. I believe that the 6 days of creation were 6 literal 24 hour periods of time, in which all plant and animal life were created according to Genesis. I believe that earth could have been a lifeless rock for millions or billions of years, waiting like a blank canvas for God to paint an amazing work of art.

I love science. I love hearing about the things that mankind has learned and is able to do, like harness electricity, exceed the sound barrier, create the internal combustion engine, and so many other great scientific breakthroughs. Despite my love for what science has accomplished, I still understand that science is limited to what mankind can understand at any given moment in time. Never, am I going to try to limit God to what mankind can understand. I will always take God's word over mankind's. Like I said that is not to say that I don't have a love and appreciation for science.

I have long heard people insinuate that if life on earth is only 6000 years old, then God is somehow intentionally deceiving mankind, because of all the supposed evidence to the contrary. They never seem to stop and consider some very important concepts. First of all, why are we searching for answers to how life started, when God told us how life started? Wouldn't that search seem to originate from a failure to believe in God's word? Second, once we start down the road of trying to explain how life began, we are forced to limit ourselves to that which we can understand. Imagine someone from the 1400's trying to determine how a slice of beef reached 180º at its core. They would not even take into consideration something such as a microwave oven. The thought would be impossible for them. Yet here we are saying "we know life on earth goes back further than 6000 years". Well, based on what? Only what knowledge and understanding we have right now, and anyone, who has the slightest concept of the vastness of our universe, should realize that, as impressive as our accomplishments are, our knowledge and understanding is rather limited. I'm sure that there are plenty of elements that we know of today, that scientists from the 1400's had no perception of. It wasn't that the elements did not exist, they just had no way to even perceive the existence of them. Things like elements that we have only found in space or miles below the ocean depths. Try explaining that microwave oven to someone in the 1400's.....how's that workin out for you? How much time would you spend just trying to explain electricity? Now ramp that up to trying to explain something far more complex like the inner workings of an MRI machine or a nuclear reactor. Eventually you would just have to say, "listen I did and it only took me this long." How God created a world, that appears billions of years old, in 6 literal days is something that I don't waste much time on, because I know I would not be able to understand, in the slightest bit, HOW He did it but I am fully capable of understanding THAT He did it.

As far as my denomination....I am a Seventh Day Adventist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity