Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:32 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I am trying to figure out what denominations hold the 6000 year Earth belief to be true? Is it your belief or is taught by your denomination?

(It should read: What is Your Denomination?)
Episcopalian. No, I don't believe in a 6000 year old Earth.

As another Episcopalian has written, "Christ came into the world to take away our sins, not our God-given ability to reason."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 05:12 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times
Metaphysically speaking;
I don't believe mankind has yet to comprehend "time"

And no, I don't hold any fundamental belief on the terrestrial age of the "earth".

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,284,187 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure out what denominations hold the 6000 year Earth belief to be true? Is it your belief or is taught by your denomination?

I'm not sure about 6000 years but, that is a rough estimate. Time is a man made creation. I grew up in an Pentecostal church/Assemblies of God.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM

701 posts, read 801,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I'm not sure about 6000 years but, that is a rough estimate. Time is a man made creation. I grew up in an Pentecostal church/Assemblies of God.
Actually God created time. He is the One who set the 12hr division of night and day. He set the earth to rotate on a 24hr cycle and set it on it's annual orbit around the sun. He was even the One who created the concept of a week. God created time when He created the means by which we tell time.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:29 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,003,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No I do not believe in a 6,000 year old earth. I believe in evolution.

I am a Lutheran and along with shrimpboat and Bluesnama, I see no conflict between the teachings of Christ and evolution.

Well you can count me in with you, however I'm not Lutheran, as I was baptized Catholic. If you ask me, I'm more spiritual than religious, if that makes sense. I don't believe in a 6,000 year Earth, and yes I do believe in evolution, and that God most definitely had a hand in creating the Earth as well as the universe. Remember, time is man made. To God, a day could be millions of years. I also believe in the possibility in life in other parts of the universe. With the universe being as vast and endless as it is, how can we be the ONLY planet in such a big universe capable of sustaining life? Yeah, I know hard to believe right? At any rate, I see no conflict either in mixing evolution or science with faith!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:

No, YEC is absolutely ludicrous. I have no denomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity