Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,958 times

Advertisements

I also wanted to add, you don't have to agree with a religion in it's entirety to know there can be some good lessons learned. For example, on a previous thread, there was a talk about sin through generations (because a previous generation sinned). Christianity took that sin away so people are not held accountable for the acts of previous generation. Even though I don't agree with Christianity, that is a good lesson to learn from.

It would be sad that someone would write off good life lessons because they are afraid to open their minds and learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:29 AM

358 posts, read 916,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
I studied a ton of religions in college from an academic perspective based on their history, ancient Greek and Roman beliefs, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Stoicism, Agnosticism, and the major Japanese religions. I just can't see someone being so scared of words that they are afraid to find out information.
Great post! I'll be it was fascinating delving into them. I think that curious, intelligent persons always want to find out more about their world. Although there are obviously many troubles on earth, it's still a fantastic place with all kinds of new things to discover. No one should ever be scared of learning.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM

358 posts, read 916,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I valued his exposure to what I believe to be "truth"
This is very, very scary. And this is why a lot of people cannot logically think for themselves.

Teaching children how to think is one of the best gifts to give children. No, I take that back. Teaching children how to think is not a gift. It should be a requirement.

Why on earth do you think we have so much trouble with many militants? Because you can't argue with someone who says, "I was instructed from above to KILL you because you don't think like I do."

People should quit condemning others for varying religious viewpoints and start learning how to live together.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,893,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The more I read the views of the "sampling" of Christians on here, the more I think "Christianity" is not for me. I certainly believe in God and believe that Jesus died for my sins, but as for the rest (especially the Old Testament), I think it's a bunch of bunk written in an ancient time by MEN who wanted to control the populace and women.

(stand back while lightning strikes)

Anyone, unless they are a criminal of some sort, is welcome in our home. I truly think Jesus wanted us to love MORE people in this world, not FEWER (regardless of their beliefs). Maybe I'm naive.
I just got back in, so I'm a bit behind.

But I think you've quite possibly missed the point.

I've always, ALWAYS said I embrace others from other religions, sexual orientations, walks of life etc....but don't ask me to give up my beliefs to appease them.

In other words, I'm cool if you are an alcoholic and you're welcome in my home and in my church. That does not mean I'm OK with alcohol, alcoholism, or in any way am saying that God's OK with you being an alcoholic.

Aspects of this discussion were brought up in the thread about your spouses, and most, if not all, atheists said they could not marry a person of faith or a Christian. Isn't that very similar to what we're talking about?

By the way, Magellan,thanks for sharing your beliefs. For some reason I thought you were a die hard atheist.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Ok, sir Alpha, what is the verse about hanging with the wrong crowd in the Bible? I know it's there, it just slips my memory at the moment.
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but.....

There's one (in the gospels, I'll find it if necessary) that discusses being unequally yoked, as in married to a non-believer...

There's another (I believe in one of the Letters to Timothy) about not allowing someone who's teaching/preaching a different gospel into your home.

Is it one of those you're thinking of????

Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,278,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
This is very, very scary. And this is why a lot of people cannot logically think for themselves.

Teaching children how to think is one of the best gifts to give children. No, I take that back. Teaching children how to think is not a gift. It should be a requirement.

Why on earth do you think we have so much trouble with many militants? Because you can't argue with someone who says, "I was instructed from above to KILL you because you don't think like I do."

People should quit condemning others for varying religious viewpoints and start learning how to live together.
Ilovejazz, no one is condemning anybody or suggesting that we not learn how to live together. Again, I just simply value my own child being exposed to and consequently, choosing what I believe to be the truth. Does anyone who has strong convictions not want that for their child?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,866,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I just got back in, so I'm a bit behind.

But I think you've quite possibly missed the point.

I've always, ALWAYS said I embrace others from other religions, sexual orientations, walks of life etc....but don't ask me to give up my beliefs to appease them.

In other words, I'm cool if you are an alcoholic and you're welcome in my home and in my church. That does not mean I'm OK with alcohol, alcoholism, or in any way am saying that God's OK with you being an alcoholic.

Aspects of this discussion were brought up in the thread about your spouses, and most, if not all, atheists said they could not marry a person of faith or a Christian. Isn't that very similar to what we're talking about?

By the way, Magellan,thanks for sharing your beliefs. For some reason I thought you were a die hard atheist.
May have been the biting sarcasm. I do have to agree that if I invite someone into my home, and they say I'm going to hell if I don't change my ways, that my kids are Satan's spawn, or that they're a happy "swinging couple" (and would like us to join), they're probably not going to go on our Christmas card list.

I do have my limits....

I don't believe that anyone on this planet truly KNOWS the answers, not even religious leaders or molecular biologists. I think the beauty of life is the differences we have, not the similarities. Which is more beautiful, a garden full of one type of flower, or a garden chocked full of colors, vibrancy and species? Why are no two snowflakes alike? Why does rain come in sheets, sprinkles, torrents, floods and mist? God revels in diversity.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
May have been the biting sarcasm. I do have to agree that if I invite someone into my home, and they say I'm going to hell if I don't change my ways, that my kids are Satan's spawn, or that they're a happy "swinging couple" (and would like us to join), they're probably not going to go on our Christmas card list.

I do have my limits....

I don't believe that anyone on this planet truly KNOWS the answers, not even religious leaders or molecular biologists. I think the beauty of life is the differences we have, not the similarities. Which is more beautiful, a garden full of one type of flower, or a garden chocked full of colors, vibrancy and species? Why are no two snowflakes alike? Why does rain come in sheets, sprinkles, torrents, floods and mist? God revels in diversity.

Hope that makes sense.
I agree that no one fully knows the answers, but I don't believe there is a diversity of Truth. I believe there is only One Truth.

But I hear what you are saying, and I expect you would wind up on my Christmas Card list, even though my kids may come across as the spawn of satan....or is that satin???

Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Kaykay, where'd that post go that had the scripture. I think you were spot on but now I can't find the reference!!

Did you delete it?!?!?!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,278,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Kaykay, where'd that post go that had the scripture. I think you were spot on but now I can't find the reference!!

Did you delete it?!?!?!
I deleted it because I was afraid it would leave the wrong impression!

But the scripture is: 1 Corinthians 15:33 "Bad company corrupts good morals." NASB

Once again, nobody get excited. I am NOT saying that people of other faiths are "bad company."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity